Best glue for shells?

Old February 9th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads

Default Best glue for shells?

If you're going to state you opinion on a public forum you have to expect
that
others will might have a response. Get over it yourself.

What, I couldn't post my opinion ON your opinion right back atcha?

In stating my personal opinion - when offering advice and criticism I
don't
feel the need to personally attack the person who's asking. They didn't
ask
what your opinion in regards to their taste - they were asking about a
technique.

And I answered it, so what if I added my own little spin to it, I ANSWERED!

Now I'm over with it and done with this conversation.

Umm... want congrats?

Have a lovely day.

I will! Hope you do too! :-)

Old February 9th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads

I think if I were you, I'd use those circles of metal with a loop, designed
to be applied to the back of a flat piece (like a cabochon, etc) to allow it
to hang. It has a large enough surface to allow glue to hold -- if all the
crystals will hang from the same place. And I'd put it under the design on
the shell so you couldn't see it through the shell. If I wanted to hang
crystals from several spaces, I think I'd flatten a piece of wire (hammer
it), then put the string around the that wire and hanging down, and then
glue that to the back. Again, so that you have adequate surface to glue.

I think the glue I'd use would be E6000.

There is also a site call This to That, that's all about gluing.
http://www.thistothat.com/

The shells look cute.

Tina

"Flic" wrote in message
oups.com...

m3rma1d wrote:
Flic wrote:

I recently bought a very nice shell pendant but want to glue some jump
rings on to the back of it so I can attach some strands to it. Would a
normal super glue capable of glueing ceramics work ok? Strangely

shells
isn't one of the things they list on the back

Is there a reason you don't wanna drill it?

-- m3rma1d

Two actually, the first being that I don't have the tools in order to
do so, and the second that they have 3d design on the front which won't
allow it. If you want to you can see a pic at

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Old February 9th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads

Flic wrote:
m3rma1d wrote:
Flic wrote:

I recently bought a very nice shell pendant but want to glue some jump
rings on to the back of it so I can attach some strands to it. Would a
normal super glue capable of glueing ceramics work ok? Strangely shells
isn't one of the things they list on the back

Is there a reason you don't wanna drill it?

-- m3rma1d

Two actually, the first being that I don't have the tools in order to
do so, and the second that they have 3d design on the front which won't
allow it. If you want to you can see a pic at
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Did you consider using the existing hole?

Otherwise, gorilla glue might work - and I would go with Tina's
sugestion
about the plates with the loops.

Maren
Palms, Etc.: Tropical Plant Seeds - Hand-made Jewelry - Plants &
Lilikoi
http://www.jach.hawaii.edu/~maren/palms_etc/

Old February 10th 06, 12:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads

(But they can be drilled...)

But I don't have the tools

Did you consider using the existing hole?

I will to attach the main necklace, but wanted too add extra bits onto
the bottom.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies :-)

Old February 10th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads

If you do seed beads, a peyote bezel would be great too.

Tina

"Flic" wrote in message
oups.com...
(But they can be drilled...)

But I don't have the tools

Old February 11th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads

I have to agree with the E6000! For a special event in my family, I
made everyone simple pins, where I just glued a seashell to a tie tack.
My husband does my laundry, and he didn't notice that I had left my
pin on my shirt. It went through the washer and dryer at least twice
before I got around to taking it off, and the pin and seashell are
still attatched.

Christina Peterson wrote:
I think if I were you, I'd use those circles of metal with a loop, designed
to be applied to the back of a flat piece (like a cabochon, etc) to allow it
to hang. It has a large enough surface to allow glue to hold -- if all the
crystals will hang from the same place. And I'd put it under the design on
the shell so you couldn't see it through the shell. If I wanted to hang
crystals from several spaces, I think I'd flatten a piece of wire (hammer
it), then put the string around the that wire and hanging down, and then
glue that to the back. Again, so that you have adequate surface to glue.

I think the glue I'd use would be E6000.

There is also a site call This to That, that's all about gluing.
http://www.thistothat.com/

The shells look cute.

Tina

"Flic" wrote in message