Quilting Design

Old November 24th 03, 02:19 AM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

Default Quilting Design

Hi Guys,
I have just finished pin basting the latest quit and am in something of a
quandry as to how to quilt part of it. The quilt is 56" x 72" and is made of 8"
whole cloth blocks cut from different airplane fabrics with the exception of
the center portion. That part is a 20" square airplane fabric panel. Here's
the link to take a look at it -- it's pretty long so you might have to cut &
pate --
http://www.bighornquilts.com/cgi-bin...=rjrnovelty&pr
oductid=12-2019&pid=1#12-2019 . I have added a 2" border (a rainbow & cloud
design fabric) with corner blocks all around to make the panel piece 24"
square.
I will do a basic diagonal grid quilt pattern on the blocks of the quilt and
the 2" border will have little airplanes quilted into it -- my embroidery
machine does them automatically. I will outline quilt the airplanes and the
parachutes in the panel but I am not sure what to do with the rest of it.
Can't decide if I should do some stipple quilting in the sky or the water or
the landscape or if I should just outline quilt the whole thing. I can't think
of any other type of quilting oattern that would work. the whole purpose of
making this quilt was to showcase the airplane panel and the fabrics as it is a
Christmas gift for a friend who is a pilot.
I don't want to quilt that inner panel too much and have the whole thing get
all wonky. The diagonal grid on the rest of the quilt is about 2.5" apart.
Actually, I'm not sure just how much I can quilt that panel and still keep
everything reasonably flat. I'm afraid if I do much stipple quilting it will
make the rest of the quilt buckle.
So -- any thoughts on my quandry? Any recommendations for some other form
of quilting design for the central panel? I DO NOT want to run the diagonal
grid through it so that's not an option. Oh -- and I only machine quilt is
that makes a difference. Ideas, recommendations. all suggestions welcomed &
thanks. CiaoMeow ^;;^
..
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old November 24th 03, 08:36 AM
Patti

Hullo Tia Mary
I think you gave yourself your own clues actually!!
How about doing simple wave pattern in the water you mentioned, and
curvy cloud-type pattern in the sky. You could do a simple, quite open
'stipple' on the land? I recently did a landscape with slightly
different quilting patterns on each of the hills and I was thrilled with
it. I often do different quilting patterns on quilt elements, but never
quite as much as this recent one. I will never be afraid to try it
again. I machine quilt too; and I always try to do something that I can
do with my walking foot on and the feed dogs up (I'm still wary of
free-motion!). All the things I did on my landscape (which was smaller
than yours) were possible that way.
..
In article , Tia
Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply writes