Selecting a Quilting Design

Old March 11th 09, 06:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default Selecting a Quilting Design

Wow, Nancy, that is really smart! I happen to have a clear plastic table
cloth still in a package. (I wonder why, since I do not use plastic table
ware!) Will definitely try this marking idea. Thanks!
Pat in Virginia

"Nancy" wrote in message
One of the best suggestions I ever got was to get a large piece of plastic
sheeting ( I got mine at Dick Blick's), and I use a wet erasable pen and
draw out a variety of designs on the plastic, which I have placed on top
of my quilt. Be sure and tape off the edge of the plastic so you don't
accidently mark off the edge of the plastic. If you don't like the design,
just erase and start over!
I too have a bunch of quilting design books that I have picked up over the
years. I also keep ideas in a folder that I have acquired over the years,
and designs from magazines, etc, that I use for ideas.
Nancy

Old March 11th 09, 07:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default Quilting designs 101 (was Selecting a Quilting Design)

Kathy:
OKAY! Quilting Designs 101 is the most useful 'course' I've studied in a
very long time. This will come in handy as I work on my PHD. I am eager to
read the next class ... er, installment. Thank you.
PAT

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message
Pat's post reminded me that quilting designs (and quilting in general, as
opposed to piecing) often leave even experienced quilters scratching their
heads. Since the interest seems to be out there, I got the idea to do a
multipart post on how I approach quilting a quilt.

First, the disclaimer. This is just *my* approach, developed over 10 years
(aack, has it been that long?!??) of professional quilting. There are lots
of other approaches -- the best approach is the one that works for YOU.
And the only way you'll find what works for you is to try several
different things out. So give yourself permission to have a bit of fun and
experiment.

Second disclaimer is that I'm strictly a machine quilter. I'm not sure I
even own a hand quilting needle. But design is design, and 99% of what
I'll say applies equally to hand quilting.

Enough with the intro, and on to lesson number 1.

Probably the biggest obstacle to choosing a quilting design, even for
professionals, is that when you're staring at a quilt your mind goes
completely blank. Every design you've even seen or thought of vanishes
from your memory. So we're going to develop a design reference you can use
to jog the brain cells.

I use two different references, mostly because I'm too lazy to combine
them into one. The first reference is a binder full of page protectors,
divided into sections labeled "overall", "borders", "blocks", etc. Each
page protector has either a photo I've taken or a page torn from a
magazine that highlights some quilting design that fits into the section.
And when I say highlights the quilting, I mean the quilting -- these
aren't photos of complete quilts, but closeups where I can see every bit
of the quilting design for that area. So if I need inspiration for a
border, I can turn to that section of the binder and flip through just
borders.

How do you fill up this binder? The main way is photos. The next quilt
show you take your digital camera to, make sure you also get a couple of
dozen close ups of quilting. When you get home, print those out on plain
paper. No need to use the good photo paper, and you don't even need to
print in color. But get in the habit of collecting these ideas for future
use. (I also note on the back of each printout where I took the photo and
who did the quilting so I can give proper credit, but I've been called
anal retentive, too. *grin*) And get into the habit of taking your camera
everywhere you might find a design, even if it's just your cell phone
camera.

My second reference is a sketch book full of sketches and notes. For me, a
5" x 8" size is perfect -- big enough to really draw something out, but
small enough that I will actually take it with me. I like to get real
sketch books, the ones with heavy, slightly rough paper, and I use a soft
mechanical pencil (mechanical because you won't find a pencil sharpener at
a quilt show.) You can pick one of these sketch books up for about $5 at
the office supply (or art supply) store, and it will last a long, long
time.

How do you fill up the sketch book? Take it with you to guild meetings,
quilt shows, classes, any place where you have time to sit and doodle.
When you first start filling up the sketch book, your instinct will be to
try to make each doodle perfect. Guess what? It's the mistakes that are
the most valuable. I try drawing a design like I'm quilting -- continuous
line at a constant speed. If I goof up, I start another one right below
the first. On all my goofs, I jot down notes to remind me where the
trouble is, like "watch out coming out of this curve" or "make sure the
petals are the same size". And sometimes the goofs give me inspiration for
other, better designs down the road. And, I make notes on where and when I
got the inspiration. (See anal retentive, above).

At this spot a number of you are saying "But I can't draw!" I can't draw
either. Doesn't matter. The main thing is to get those ideas down and make
notes so your brain gets jogged. Your brain won't get jogged if you never
put anything down on paper, so stop worrying about pretty and start doing.

Making these two references aren't nearly as much work as they sound like,
and they can sure be a lifesaver when you are faced with crippling mind
fade when you are looking at that quilt top.

Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

remove the obvious to reply
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kathyapplebaum/

Old March 12th 09, 12:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 11:08:24 -0500, Pat in Virginia wrote
(in article ):

Okay, you've pieced or appliquéd a delightful quilt top. You are pleased and
justifiably proud of it. You want to quilt it (or have it quilted) to
enhance the style and design of the top. How do you decide what to do? Can
you suggest a book that will help train and educate a quilter on this topic?
Do you just give up and do all your quilts the same way?

I really have trouble with this aspect of quilt making. So, I look forward
to reading your opinions, advice, and recommendations. Thanks bunches.

Pat in Virginia

I have several books with quilting designs in them. Often I just sit down
and page through them until something jumps out at me.

Maureen

Old March 12th 09, 01:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Maureen, If you have a minute, could you tell us the titles and authors of
your books, please? Thanks bunches, PAT

Old March 13th 09, 01:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 08:18:08 -0500, Pat in Virginia wrote
(in article ):

Maureen, If you have a minute, could you tell us the titles and authors of
your books, please? Thanks bunches, PAT

"Maureen Wozniak" wrote in message I have several
books with quilting designs in them. Often I just sit down
and page through them until something jumps out at me.

Maureen

I have the 1st 4 volumes of the Quiltmaker's Quilting Motifs book, which are
the ones I use most often.
Add-A-Line Continuous Quilting Patterns by Janie Donaldson
Create with Helen Squire, Helen's Mix and Match Quilting Patterns, and
Helen's Copy and Use Quilting Patterns, and
Infinite Feathers Quilting Designs by Anita Shackleford

Most of these I've picked up on sale or as sort of "dent and ding" hurt books
in Paducah.

I really like the Quiltmaker books the best and go back to those often.
Since I think there are a couple of more volumes in the series now, I'll be
looking for a good price on them.

Maureen

Old March 14th 09, 11:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Thank you so much, Maureen. My current de-cluttering activity is to
eliminate quilting magazines. When I have a few minutes, or while I listen
to TV, I look at them and remove what I want to save. Right now I am sorting
old Quilt Magazines and I've found myself saving several quilting motifs. I
had no idea there is a book of them, and I am glad to know it. PAT in VA/USA
PS: I do not save too much from the magazines, so they are in pretty good
shape when I finish. I take them to the guild's 'freebie' table and members
snatch them up. I like that!

Old March 15th 09, 12:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

Pat, what I like somewhat better is that most of Helen Squire's and
most of the Quiltmaker design books are also available as CDs. With
the CD you can print out the design you want on foundation paper
(designed to tear off smoothly) and attach the printout to the quilt.
(Use 202 spray which is designed for sticking pattern tissue to fabric
and be removable without leaving a residue, for example) Quilt through
the paper, tear it off and you're set. Or use the print out, stitch
with a large needle/no thread to make a "stencil" of the design. Then
pounce it and get going.
The CDs take the "tracing" step out of the way. And you can frequently
resize the design as needed for your quilt block/space. VBG

Pati, in Phx

Old March 16th 09, 11:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Oh, that is very cool. Thanks, Pati!
PAT,already wearing Green in Virginia!

Old March 20th 09, 05:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Torrens

To add to Maureen's list, I also like Hooked on Feathers by Sally Terry

--
Susan
in Zephyrhills FL for the winter
"Maureen Wozniak" wrote in message
lobal.net...
[...]

Marking for quilting design Sunny[_2_] Quilting 20 May 9th 08 12:25 AM
New Design Quilting Frame Judith Cook Sewing 1 September 16th 06 09:41 PM
Quilting Design links- nzl* Quilting 1 March 23rd 04 03:30 PM
quilting design question K. Reece Quilting 24 November 26th 03 07:32 PM
Quilting Design Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 1 November 24th 03 08:36 AM