applique letters

Old February 5th 08, 02:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
harrythehair

Default applique letters

I need to make some applique letters for a quilt and I'm not sure how
to do it. I think I know how to sew around the outside, but how the
heck do you handle the centers. such as in the letters B and P? I
can't seem to find anything on the net about this.

Thanks for your help.

Barb C in S. FL
Old February 5th 08, 02:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

We need more info to give you specific directions- how are you doing the
applique- by hand, fused, satin stitched, etc. The general answer is do it
the same way you do the outside edges for the inside edges.

Leslie, Missy & The Furbabies in MO.

Old February 5th 08, 07:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Melanie Rimmer

harrythehair wrote:
I need to make some applique letters for a quilt and I'm not sure how
to do it. I think I know how to sew around the outside, but how the
heck do you handle the centers. such as in the letters B and P? I
can't seem to find anything on the net about this.

Thanks for your help.

How are you appliqueing them? And how big are the letters? But
basically, with a craft knife you make a cross-shaped cut from the
centre of the hole up to the line you're going to sew around (or if the
letters are quite big you might make more cuts giving you more of a
star-shape), then fold the triangular portions under, press, and sew as
normal. Is that clear? It seems clear to me, but then again I already
know how to do it. Let me know if anything isn't clear.
Old February 5th 08, 03:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cornwoman

Cutting the centers, for me would be to find the center of the part that
you want open and to cut so that I've trimmed it to a normal seam
allowance for applique around where you'll be stitching inside the
letter. Then I'd clip down to a thread or two of the stitching line and
stitch as I do the outside. I don't do a lot of machine applique,
though I would probably do the same thing to cut away the excess fabric.
Then I would stitch the inside just like I would do the outside.

Mary in Mesa

Old February 5th 08, 09:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

"reverse applique" on the middle.
sew the letter around the outside to the background piece.
then like you said, Mary, snip the middle out leaving enough for the seams.
pin it back into place and stitch those pesty rascals into submission.
take no prisoners!!!!
worked poifectly (sic) on my monarch butterfly.
i cant for the life of me do a decent machine applique job so i'm sticking with
the joy of fudging by hand.
j.

"Cornwoman" wrote...

Old February 7th 08, 08:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
harrythehair

harrythehair wrote:
I need to make some applique letters for a quilt and I'm not sure how
to do it. *I think I know how to sew around the outside, but how the
heck do you handle the centers. such as in the letters B and P? * I
can't seem to find anything on the net about this.

Thanks for your help.

Barb C in S. FL- Hide quoted text -

I'm giving up on the applique letters - I now am trying to machine
embroider letters on fabric . My problem now is that I haven't had
many lessons for my Janome and I'm not sure how to do spacing. I have
this plastic thingy that goes on top of the B hoop and it seems I can
only do 4 letters at a time and then have to figure out how to add the
rest of the letters.
My son has wanted (for about 3 years) a quilt with the name
"Preakness" at the top, a big (applique that I can do) number 7 and
"Smarty Jones" on the bottom. It's supposed to look like a race horse
blanket. I've so far tried the applique and paper peicing with no
good results. I'm at a loss. My son told me it's a simple design.
If it's so simple, why am I having such a hard time? Thanks for any
help anyone can give me.

Barb C in S. Fl
Old February 8th 08, 08:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

I'm giving up on the applique letters - I now am trying to machine
embroider letters on fabric . My problem now is that I haven't had
many lessons for my Janome and I'm not sure how to do spacing. I have
this plastic thingy that goes on top of the B hoop and it seems I can
only do 4 letters at a time and then have to figure out how to add the
rest of the letters.
My son has wanted (for about 3 years) a quilt with the name
"Preakness" at the top, a big (applique that I can do) number 7 and
"Smarty Jones" on the bottom. It's supposed to look like a race horse
blanket. I've so far tried the applique and paper peicing with no
good results. I'm at a loss. My son told me it's a simple design.
If it's so simple, why am I having such a hard time? Thanks for any
help anyone can give me.

Barb C in S. Fl

Barb,

Are you doing this by machine or by hand?

I would suggest machine. I made a bunch of numbered flags for my Scout
District and did it like this:

(1) Find some letters that you like on the computer
(2) Make them bold and enlarge them (you can use just the outline, if
you can get the computer to corporate - this saves toner)
(3) Print them
(4) Find a fusible (two-sided)
(5) Lay the fusible over the _back_ of print-outs (to make sure the
letters are not mirror image) and trace the outlines, including the
inside of letters like "P"
(6) Roughly cut the letters - you can rough cut the inside of "P" if you
like, but you don't have to
(7) Press to the back of you fabric and cut along the lines
(8) Place on quilt top
(9) fuse in place
(10) stitch around the edges

I know the list is long, but each step is fairly simple - unless you
want the letters _very_ small.

Hm - or you could look at fabric paint, maybe?

Hanne in London

Old February 8th 08, 09:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

WordArt has outlines.

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

Old February 8th 08, 03:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

I've fused letters on wall hangings. I use PrintMaster to make my
patterns. I find a font I like and scale it to the size I want. I print
just the outline of the letters and I reverse (mirror image) them before
printing so that I can trace them as is on the fusible backing. I
usually use Heat'n'Bond Ultra so I don't have to stitch them down at
all. For something that is going to get more wear, I'd use a different
fusible and satin stitch around them -- both inside and outside -- to
hold them securely in place.

Julia in MN
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/
-----------

Old February 8th 08, 03:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Use a tear-away (or typing paper or a coffee filter) on the underneath
side of the letters. That will help stabilize as you satin stitch.
Make sure your fusible is one you can stitch through if that is what
you are going to do.
Taria

Julia in MN wrote:
I've fused letters on wall hangings. I use PrintMaster to make my
patterns. I find a font I like and scale it to the size I want. I print
just the outline of the letters and I reverse (mirror image) them before
printing so that I can trace them as is on the fusible backing. I
usually use Heat'n'Bond Ultra so I don't have to stitch them down at
all. For something that is going to get more wear, I'd use a different
fusible and satin stitch around them -- both inside and outside -- to
hold them securely in place.

Julia in MN
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

AD: We've Had Letters! Elli General Crafting 0 December 13th 06 06:33 PM
AD: We've Had Letters! Elli Rubberstamps 0 December 13th 06 06:32 PM
OT - Letters to the Editor Arondelle Beads 15 March 10th 05 01:50 AM
knitting letters? Mark Machine Knit 2 February 6th 05 09:33 PM
Applique/Letters On Quilts CabnNThWoods Quilting 8 January 10th 04 04:45 AM