Speaking of books - Canadian source

Old September 14th 04, 01:02 AM
Bungadora

Default Speaking of books - Canadian source

I was looking around for Barbara Grainger's book - still haven't found it - and
found this place:
Books for You
http://www.magma.ca/~pvandie/aboutus.htm
No affiliation.
It looks like a good site, although the site search engine sucks. It doesn't
have one. Has anyone here dealt with them?

I splurged this morning and bought the Caselguidi book from Nordic Needle
(contented sigh). I decided I better get it before it goes out of print. I
looked at amazon and chapters, but they didn't have it in stock. Not a good
sign.

Dora
Old September 14th 04, 05:14 AM
Jeanine3

Bungadora,
I've ordered from them before - they were fast and actually had the book
instock. (unlike an online bookstore in Italy who took my money in May
and still insist they are getting the book they had listed as available
on their site four months ago)
I always check Books For You out when searching for a needlework book,
but Chapters or Amazon can usually beat their price. HOWEVER for
specific hard to find needlework related books such as self published
stuff they are a great source.
HTH,
Jeanine in Canada

Old September 14th 04, 01:49 PM
Bungadora

Thanks, this is good to know. I was wondering if they actually carried the
books in stock since I saw many books I think are OP there.
Dora

Jeanine3

Old September 14th 04, 04:52 PM
Jeanine3

You could always email them and ask before placing your order.
IIRC the lady that runs it is an EAC Guild member and a Ottawa Valley
Guild member. She started this because Canada just didn't have a source
for hard to get and self-published needlework books.
Good luck!
Jeanine in Canada

Old September 15th 04, 01:43 AM
Bungadora

Thanks for the suggestion. I will e-mail her about the Grainger book when it is
time to buy myself a present again.

She really needs to proofread her site. One book description refers to
"dementional" embroidery. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.

-

Old September 15th 04, 05:01 AM
Jeanine3

LOL! "dementional" - maybe it makes you crazy?
;-)
Jeanine in Canada

Old September 15th 04, 02:05 PM
Bungadora

Some projects more than others. Embroider less so than, say putting up curtain
rods.
Dora
Who has another set of holes to fill after her latest curtain rod installation
efforts. But the rod will stay up now.

Old September 20th 04, 03:14 AM
Ellice

Jeanine - aren't you the one going to the ANG seminar? There is an awesome bookshop
at the seminar. A woman with a shop comes in and sets up for the 10 days.
Unfortunately my brain is having an early senior moment and I can't remember her
name, but.... Point being - the shop has an amazing stock of Needlework books, on
about any topic you can imagine, and many out of print books. She also has relevant
fiction. I do believe that there is a web site way to contact her. The shop isn't
cheap, but the resource is great. When I either unbury some reference, or remember
the name, I'll post it.

Ellice

Old September 20th 04, 03:17 AM
Ellice

Bungadora wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I will e-mail her about the Grainger book when it is
time to buy myself a present again.

She really needs to proofread her site. One book description refers to
"dementional" embroidery. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.
Dora

LOL - I suddenly thought of embroidery with dementia - maybe it's just crazy
embroidery - or embroidery done while having crazy fits of frustration over
kinking threads and/or bad directions, etc. Just had a bizarre picture in my head
of crazed needleworker ;^)

ellice

Old September 20th 04, 03:48 AM
Texasxsgal1

A woman with a shop comes in and sets up for the 10 days.
Unfortunately my brain is having an early senior moment and I can't remember
her
name,

Is this the Yarn Barn of San Antonio? they have a small room full of books,
some rare and OOP , in addition to the normal patterns and stuff that are for
sale in the main room.
kathy
san anotnio