Connecting a Pearl Bead to copper sheet

Old March 30th 04, 03:39 AM
Raane

Default Connecting a Pearl Bead to copper sheet

I am working on some earrings that are made of oxidized copper sheet -
longish, thin triangles, melted around the edges and formed into a
spiral with the widest part near the top. I have several sizes of
dark freshwater pearls and want to attach a small one at the narrow
bottom point and a large one inside the top of the spiral. The bottom
one is not problematic, I have soldered a thin wire off the point and
will string the small pearl on it and slightly flange the copper wire
below the pearl.

I am having a real problem at the top though. I thought that I could
do a cold connection, riveting the bead to a medium gauge copper wire,
threading it through a tiny hole and then riveting the back. Getting
it on the wire is easy enough, flattening out the end and stringing
the pearl on it, then trimming it down. But when I put the wire
through the hole, I can't seem to get close enough to squash it well
enough. All of the directions I am finding for riveting in my books
requires cutting it fairly close then hammering it, and I don't
imagine the pearl would survive this.

I've already made the little holes, although I have a back-up pair
that haven't been drilled, yet. Any ideas for connecting the pearl
bead to the earring without ruining it would be appreciated.

Thank you all!

Raane
Old March 30th 04, 06:04 AM
Carl West

Raane wrote:
... Any ideas for connecting the pearl
bead to the earring without ruining it would be appreciated.

This is what I'd try:
Run some extra length of wire through the pearl and wind it up on the backside:
http://h00050207be9f.ne.client2.attb.../tightwire.jpg
A turn or two more than illustrated might work better.
It'll probably wobble over time, but it won't come loose any time soon.

-- Carl

If you try to 'reply' to me without fixing the dot, your reply
will go into a 'special' mailbox reserved for spam. See below.

--
Carl West http://carl.west.home.comcast.net

change the 'DOT' to '.' to email me

"Clutter"? This is an object-rich environment.
Old March 31st 04, 07:46 AM
Raane

Thanks, Carl. I tried your idea and it *did* work. The problem was
that the little "knot" was just under the earring post, making it
impossible to get the earring flush with the ear. I think I did
finally figure out a way of doing it, though.

BTW, how did you post that nifty diagram? I would love to post a scan
of these earrings for feedback but I haven't a clue how.

Take care!

Raane
Old March 31st 04, 05:02 PM

Help Peter, please.

Could you give a quick rundown on how newsgroups come to be? And how we
could get a "rec.jewerly.binaries" group to show stuff off or get help with?

I tried to Google once, but Ma slaped me and said to stop that!

Les
Old March 31st 04, 05:17 PM
Peter W. Rowe

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 08:02:17 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry
wrote:

Help Peter, please.

Could you give a quick rundown on how newsgroups come to be? And how we
could get a "rec.jewerly.binaries" group to show stuff off or get help with?

I tried to Google once, but Ma slaped me and said to stop that!

Les

Hi Les.

I'l do a more complete reply tonight (gotta get to work at the moment...), but
the short answer includes the fact that there are already a number of
newsgroups devoted to posting of images in the arts/crafts, though not
specifically for jewelry. (and, if we DO start such a group, I suggest we
spell it correctly. jewelry (in the U.S. those in the U.K. will disagree, of
course), rather than jewerly... Not quite sure just why, but that common
enough mispelling always seems to irk me no end. Especially in places such as
ebay auctions where experienced sellers of jewelry and jewelry tools should at
least know how to spell the word... but I digress....

starting your own binaries group in the rec.xxx heirarchies isn't so easy.
Doing one in the alt.xxx heirarchies, however, is no that hard. One trouble,
fo course, will be the question of whether you wish it moderated. If so,
you'll have to find a moderator. Don't look at me. This format already is
enough work, and the software I use for some reason doesn't alike handling
attachments like binaries. And if you don't moderate it, then it's a sure bet
it will be flooded with advertisements and spam, probably including a good deal
of porn. The binary groups are a lot more prone to that than the text only
groups like r.c.j., and i already have to filter a good deal of that junk out
for you all.

and remember there's always another, almost better, way. post your images to
the web, and include the URL in your post. The advantage is that this way,
only the space for the image on ONE server, your web server, is used. In a
newsgroup, it's copied to thousands of news servers worldwide, and a single
binary attachment posted to the newsgroups can end up, on a worldwide basis,
taking up a many gigabytes or even a few terabytes of storage space. that
costs everyone money in the long run, both in ISP fees for that storage space,
and in transmission time on the web. Keep in mind that most user ISP accounts
include a bit of web space for free already, for your use in such things as
home pages, etc. So you've already likely got somewhere to post your images.
You just have to learn to use it. Admitedly, not as easy as a newsgroup
attachment, but even if this is too much trouble, there are web sites out there
that will hose images for you for free, if you look for them. Often as part of
wider auction services, but you can sneak in a few freebies on some of them.

As to the origin of newsgroups, it goes right back to just about the same time
as the beginnings of the net, just talking between research centers and
universities. it originally was just a minor addition to the email servers,
then grew to it's own servers. But it dates back to pretty much the beginnings
of the net. Much older, by decades, than the web itself.

Peter
Old April 1st 04, 04:50 AM
Carl West

Raane wrote:

Thanks, Carl. I tried your idea and it *did* work. The problem was
that the little "knot" was just under the earring post, making it
impossible to get the earring flush with the ear. I think I did
finally figure out a way of doing it, though.

OK, now _I'm_ curious.

BTW, how did you post that nifty diagram? I would love to post a scan
of these earrings for feedback but I haven't a clue how.

I made the picture in Photoshop and put it in the Web Sharing directory on my
Mac. If you have an always-on connection (cable modem, for example) such a
thing can be done with Mac or Windows with a little bit of set-up. Or you could
put it up on a proper web-site, I'm pretty sure Yahoo includes a little
web-space with your account, you could put stuff up there.

Old April 1st 04, 04:50 AM
chunk

Les, the easier way to go is to get a place to post stuff on the web like
http://www.photobucket.com/ or
http://www.picturetrail.com/ or
dozens of other places.

Then you can just upload your images there and post the url in your message
like this
http://img28.photobucket.com/albums/...t/76d8d224.jpg or
this
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...54&gid=1305402