Can crochet hooks FLY?

Old July 17th 03, 02:09 PM
Sew-Sew Lady

Default Can crochet hooks FLY?

While reading the take-along projects messages, I started wondering if any
of you had successfully taken a crochet project along on a flight. Scissors
and knitting needles don't seem to make it on board often, so I was curious
if a crochet project might be a good idea for a flight.

Old July 17th 03, 05:15 PM
Bryan

" Can crochet hooks FLY?" - Depends on how hard you throw them! (couldn't
resist!)

Actually you can take knitting/crochet needles & rounded tip scissors on
board according to the www.tsa.gov website.
http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlib...ted_6-2003.pdf

I believe I took some several months ago, but being I usually fly with my
kids, I don't have time to work on the plane.

Bryan

Old July 17th 03, 07:41 PM
Allaya Diep

Yes, you can, but just as a precaution, inform your airline and airport
security before you arrive. I've taken on projects with no problem. You
may have trouble with scissors, but it seems that there are some terrific
suggestions on alternate cutting tools. That might not be a concern for
you...the projects I usually take along is much more than what I could ever
possibly finish in a few hours! lol

Allaya

Old July 18th 03, 01:15 AM
Sew-Sew Lady

I just did a little research and found good news for all
knit/crochet/yarn-aholics. According to this June 2003 TSA list, knitting
needles, crochet hooks, metal scissors with blunt tips, and nail clippers
are all allowed as carry-on items! And here I was avoiding travel!
See the info he

Old July 18th 03, 02:20 AM
Mischief

I'm glad to hear we can now take crochet hooks again. I was lucky and
was able to find a plastic hook before I took my flight but it did mean
changing the project I wanted to work on.

Darlene in Toronto
http://members.rogers.com/craftkitten

Sent using Virtual Access 5.50 - download your freeware copy now
http://www.atlantic-coast.com/downloads/vasetup.exe

Old July 18th 03, 05:43 PM
Molvik Family

My suggestion would be to arm yourself with a copy of the now not
confiscatible items before you go so if someone gives you a problem, you
have paperwork to back yourself up!

A specific airline might decide that THEY are not going to let you have them
even though the GOVERNMENT says you can. Law vs. company policy.

IMHO

JJMolvik

Old July 19th 03, 01:03 PM
Janise Ross

Being behind on my reading, again, I have to tell you that when I saw this
subject, all I could envision were crochet hooks with wings. LOL

Janise

Old July 21st 03, 01:37 AM
Molvik Family

After the first "Harry Potter" with the keys with wings, no wonder. I kinda
thought of somebody making a smart remark and pitching a hook @ them.

JJMolvik

Old July 21st 03, 10:46 PM
Sunita

I have taken crochet hooks across three continents without any
problems. The first time I called ahead to the airline and they said
no (this was about a year ago). But I got so tired of reading (it was
a 22-hour trip) that on the way back I decided to chance it with a
duplicate hook and had no trouble. I've also taken size 13 (9 mm?)
bamboo knitting needles on a US flight from St. Louis to San Francisco
and the only question I got was from a stewardess who wanted to know
where I got the yarn!

Just as a precaution, I only carry the one hook or set of needles with
their project in my carry-on and pack the rest of the hooks, needles,
pins, etc. into my checked baggage.

Flying is bad enough these days without asking us to get rid of the
things that keep us sane!

Sunita