Question (was: Comments on Dimensions Gold Pattern)

Old December 8th 09, 05:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
vcardx[_2_]

Default Question (was: Comments on Dimensions Gold Pattern)

I've never done a Dimensions Gold pattern (or in fact any Dimensions
pattern - I've started out with small easy ones!), but have been eying the
Beautiful Bird for a long time. Has anyone here ever done it, and is Fred's
description standard for Dimensions patterns overall (in multi-colour, and
very hard to read)?? I prefer working off a b&w photocopy of chart, and
highlight as I go.

Oh, and while I'm here (I've been lurking for a while but have never posted
here before) - can someone please confirm what S.E.X. stands for in this
newsgroup? I'm guessing Stash EXchange???

Thanks,
vcardx

Old December 8th 09, 06:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

"vcardx" wrote .
I've never done a Dimensions Gold pattern (or in fact any Dimensions
pattern - I've started out with small easy ones!), but have been eying the
Beautiful Bird for a long time. Has anyone here ever done it, and is
Fred's description standard for Dimensions patterns overall (in
multi-colour, and very hard to read)?? I prefer working off a b&w
photocopy of chart, and highlight as I go.

In my experience Dimensions does print in multiple colours, so that you will
have, as Jim described, a blue X for one colour, a green X for another. And
they also use the same multiple colours for backstitch. On fairly
uncomplicated charts, this isn't really a problem, but with large and
complicated ones, where you have lots of backstitching crossing areas with
lots of colour changes, it can be difficult to keep track of what is going
on!.

Of course, as stitchers we vary considerably in our attitude to doing
exactly as the chart says, and that influences the level of frustration when
we can't make out what colour a stitch is supposed to be! Since I am fairly
confident about deciding on a colour when I can't make out the chart, I only
get frustrated for a little bit, and have enjoyed some Dimensions kits. I
have a huge Gold Collection kit of a European coffee shop in my stash at the
moment which promises to be very complicated, with lots of similar colours.

If you make a black and white working copy, you will find yourself
referring to the original chart a great deal to sort things out.

Dawne

Old December 8th 09, 06:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Dawne Peterson" wrote in message
el...

"vcardx" wrote .
[...]

I too have used Dimensions Kits several times. Yes, sometimes they are
frustrating, but I don't really mind that and generally either refer to the
picture or just decide on my own whatever color I think will look best in
that spot.

The end result is generally pleasing so why get aggravated over one stitch.

I even occasionally substitute something when using a perfect chart just
because I decide that I prefer another color or another stitch or put in the
backstitch, or take it out.

As Dawne said, attitude is an important thing when working with Dimensions.

Lucille

Old December 8th 09, 06:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
vcardx[_2_]

Thanks, Lucille and Dawne. Yes, I think the idea of making a b&w copy but
having to refer back to original happened years ago with my first
cross-stitch pattern (not Dimensions). I loved the way it turned out.
-vcardx

Old December 9th 09, 03:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Magic Mood Jeep[_4_]

"vcardx" wrote in message
I've never done a Dimensions Gold pattern (or in fact any Dimensions
pattern - I've started out with small easy ones!), but have been eying the
Beautiful Bird for a long time. Has anyone here ever done it, and is
Fred's description standard for Dimensions patterns overall (in
multi-colour, and very hard to read)?? I prefer working off a b&w
photocopy of chart, and highlight as I go.

Oh, and while I'm here (I've been lurking for a while but have never
posted here before) - can someone please confirm what S.E.X. stands for in
this
newsgroup? I'm guessing Stash EXchange???

Thanks,
vcardx

I stopped doing kits for the reasons others give - and I find charts that
are sold separately more fun to work with - as you can choose your own
fabric, and can change the colors if you so choose!

....and, since no one else gave the definition, S.E.X. stands for Stash
Enhancing eXpedition (a shopping spree at your favorite supplier).

Old December 9th 09, 06:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Laury Walkey

I usually make a copy of the pattern and mark off my stitches with a
pencil. If it's a color master copy I will keep it nearby and refer to
it as I stitch.

S.E.X. = Stash Enhancement eXperience.

HTH.

--
Laury Walkey (Miss)
BC, Canada

My photos: http://polgara.shutterfly.com/
My MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/laurywalkey
My Facebook: user name Laury Walkey
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/polgaraoferat

Go see NATHAN CLARK at the Vancouver Theatresports League!
http://www.vtsl.com/company/players....r=clark_nathan

WANTED: in order to finish an old project, to beg, borrow or trade for
1 skein each of J&P Coats embroidery floss in the following shades:
2296 (yellow), 2335 (red), 5395 (green), 6021 (green), 6250 (green) &
6842 (green). Conversions not needed, but thanks anyway. :-