Persistence pays off!

Old April 17th 05, 06:55 AM
Lee S. Billings

Default Persistence pays off!

A year or so ago, I inquired at the salon boutique where my hairdresser works
about holding a jewelry sale in their main lobby. I was told that there was
only 1 person allowed to do that -- the boss' girlfriend. If I wanted to have a
sale, I'd have to hold it in one of the salon rooms (where not many people
would be likely to see it). Okay, I didn't fuss; if I had access to a
guaranteed market like that, I'd probably try to make it exclusive, too.

But I guess they broke up or something. A few weeks ago, my hairdresser
mentioned that she'd seen someone else holding a sale in the front lobby. I
went and asked if there had been a policy change. Yes indeed, there had; now I
could apply for permission to sell by submitting a picture of my setup to the
corporate office. I promptly did so.

Today I found out that my sale has been approved! Apparently the PTB made
downright admiring noises over the setup picture I submitted -- as I suspected,
they just don't want someone coming in and setting up 2 card tables with 20
items on them. However, there have been some changes along the way:

1) I'd originally asked for Saturday, April 30. But Saturdays over there tend
to be busy only in the morning, tapering to almost dead after 2PM, so the
receptionist (who coordinates these shows) said I'd be better off coming on
Friday, the 29th.

2) Then she found out that the price structure is different for 1-day and 2-day
shows. For a 2-day show, it's $50/day, but for a 1-day show it's $75. Well, I
really prefer a 2-day show anyhow, and there's an empty room right there where
I'll be set up that I can use for secure storage overnight... so now it's going
to be Thursday and Friday, the 28th and 29th! Furthermore, I can come in
Wednesday evening and set up my tables, so that Thursday morning all I have to
do is set out the merchandise.

I'm really energized about this. The receptionist seems to be excited about
having me come in, and has told me how I need to publicize the event. The price
range of my merchandise should be comfortable for the level of customer who
tends to patronize this location, though I don't expect to sell much of the
higher-end stuff. With any luck, I'll have a gonzo sale and be able to
replenish most of the money I just spent on beads at the Gem Show!

Celine

--
Handmade jewelry at http://www.rubylane.com/shops/starcat
"Only the powers of evil claim that doing good is boring."

Old April 17th 05, 01:41 PM
gwacie

Great news Celine! Good luck with your "Gonzo Sale"!

"Lee S. Billings" wrote

Old April 17th 05, 04:27 PM
Peggy

Good luck with your sale, Celine! I'd love to hear how it goes...