"Sensory" type fabrics

Old May 19th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default "Sensory" type fabrics

Cotton pique has an interesting texture. Or some embroidered fabric with
well-defined designs. Fake fur. Smocking or pin tucks. Quilters' chenille.
Bobble fringe. Trapunto!
Roberta in D

"Cindy" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Forgive the strange subject line bit its 4:30 am here on the east coast
of the US and my brain isnt quite functioning yet...
I am a nurse and I work with disabled children. Many of the children
have sensory deficits, ie; blind, deaf, ect. and one in particular that
I work with has only her left hand that she receives any kind of
sensory input. She grasps things that she finds interesting. One toy in
particular she loves to play with is a nylon covered ball suspended
fron her bed. The other is a bag of balls that the bag is made like
those you buy onions in.
What I would like to do is make her a blanket that has many types of
materials that she can 'feel' .
First, I would like to find some nylon, the type used in flags. Anyone
know of a good online store for this?
Second, any suggestions as to other material to add into this blanket?
It must be able to withstand multiple washings. I was thinking some
penne velvet, and fleece but I am at a loss after that. I would like to
add something like tulle, but I didnt think it would stand up to the
use.

Cindy

Old May 19th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I also want to add - a satin binding is very nice. I make baby quilts with
this on the edges. My grandsons still rub the silky binding over their cheek
and between their fingers when sleeping with their "binky".

--
Boca Jan
Southern Florida - land of the hurricanes

Old May 19th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

courderoy wide and narrow
ric rac

Kellie

"Patti" wrote in message
Polyester satin,
Towelling,
Chenille that you make yourself with washable cottons,
Swimsuit sort of Lycra?
.
In message , Cindy
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old May 19th 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

with all the other replies all i could contribute is various sizes of the
cordoroy and maybe cut/sewn at different angles would be interesting to
feel. making blocks with each piece cut laid a different way, this would
really show the block design off, much like we usually use different
colours/designs on flat fabric to see the block design, if that makes sense,
early here too for me anyhow so not fully thot this through.
sounds like a fun project to both make and enjoy.
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"Cindy" wrote...

Old May 20th 06, 02:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Oh, this could be a really fun project.

Velvet
woven polyester
Satin
Silk
Lame' (I don't know if it's washable but it has a neat texture)
corduroy in several rib widths
linen (try blaser/jacket weight)
woven washable wool
flannel (pre wash it in hot water before you cut it)
brushed denim
plain denim or cotton duck
quilting cotton
dotted swiss (lightweight fabric with little raised flocked dots)
Faux Suede
Faux sheep fur
Fun fur
tweed
fabric with sequins sewn on
Various upholstery or curtain fabrics (Many upholstery businesses have
a remnant bin with lots of pieces too small to use on furniture.)

Also, you can take any piece of fabric and add texture by adding on
rows of lace, woven trim, buttons, or rick rack. Embroidery would
also add texture to a fabric.

If you need to do this on a tight budget you could go to a Thrift
store or Goodwill and find garments that have various textures
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old May 20th 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hmmmm. I'm wondering about 'sound and smell'. Taffeta makes a wonderful,
swishy rustling sound, and its own special perfume. I never hear or smell
taffeta without thinking I need to go play the piano. All of my recitals
merited a long ruffled gown of taffeta. Could you possibly put a taffeta
ruffle around the binding on the quilt? You'd need enough of it to rub
together to make it sing. And also, I have some Donna Sawler's Fabulous Fur
here - just pieces but will be glad to send you a hunk if you want to add it
in. Polly

Old May 20th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Sat, 20 May 2006 03:50:13 GMT, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

Hmmmm. I'm wondering about 'sound and smell'. Taffeta makes a wonderful,
swishy rustling sound, and its own special perfume. I never hear or smell
taffeta without thinking I need to go play the piano. All of my recitals
merited a long ruffled gown of taffeta. Could you possibly put a taffeta
ruffle around the binding on the quilt? You'd need enough of it to rub
together to make it sing. And also, I have some Donna Sawler's Fabulous Fur
here - just pieces but will be glad to send you a hunk if you want to add it
in. Polly

Taffeta has a smell? I've never worn it, so I didn't know that. I've
never liked noisy clothing so that ruled out wearing taffeta dresses,
wide wale corduroy trousers, and a few other things.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old May 20th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Ahhhhhhh, yes. Especially on a humid summer day (we would wear it to church
or a wedding). That and the 'swish' you always knew when a gal was walking
into the room and then there's the 'squeak' of corduroy. Only thing noisier
was a lady wearing high heeled shoes walking on 'stone' tile (cause I don't
really know what tile is made from).

Butterfly

news