Blanket pricing

Old December 30th 03, 10:07 PM
AlenasMom

Default Blanket pricing

If you were to sell crocheted baby blankets (or any blanket) online, how
would you price them?
I'm thinking of adding some to the store.

--
Lina
Alena born July 1st, 2003

Old December 30th 03, 10:18 PM
Slinky

M = cost of materials
T = time (labor)
D = dollar value per unit of T

1.5(M+TD)

So as an example:

M = $12, cost of a ball of Opal sock yarn
T = 10 hours, the average time it takes me to knit one pair of Opal
socks for my own feet
D = $10

Which gives us

1.5(12+10*10) = $156

Most people aren't willing to pay that much for a pair of socks, but
I'm not willing to undervalue my time - they either want the socks
badly enough to pay what *I* think they're worth, or they go to
Walmart.

This is the same basic formula I use when I price my handspun, which
means I give it away to friends more often than I sell it.

Gee, could this be the reason my storefront does so poorly? *lol*

Old December 31st 03, 12:44 AM
Slinky

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 00:26:08 GMT, "Agres"
wrote:

All of sudden I do not feel so bad about how long it takes me to knit a
sock. g

Gosh, why would you feel bad about the time it takes you to knit one
sock? We all work at our own pace - I've got one pair of socks that
are back on the UFO pile despite my resolution to deal with all of my
UFOs by year's end. I think I started them back in...April or May
probably.

And I do most of my socknitting by minutes rather than hours. I've
got a pair that live in the glove box for "waiting for school to let
out" knitting, and another pair on the bedside table that I work on
during the late L&O reruns (cop show, for our non-American friends).
Cumulative time spent on one pair of socks averages 10 hours, but it
may take me a month to finish one sock!

I'm almost-not-quite-finished with the Aran sweater. Yesterday's
fitting showed I need at least one more pattern repeat on the arms AND
the body. I took a break from it today to knit up a quick scarf using
some handspun I found in the stash - a gorgeous navy-purple wool with
bits of complimentary mohair blended in. 8mm needles, 29 stitches,
and an easy lace pattern made it a 4-hour project and a 5' long scarf
that is wide enough to cover the bottoms of my ears without gapping
open at the top of my coat to let in a draft - a good thing, as I
haven't yet made a hat with earflaps.

Not that I NEED all this Nanook-of-the-North gear here...

Lace rib pattern (Barbara Walker's first treasury)

on 5+2 stitches

R1: k2, *p3, k2* across
R2: p2, *k1, yo, ssk, p2* across
R3: k2, *p3, k2* across
R4: p2, *k2tog, yo, k1, p2* across

Looks good from either side and doesn't curl in any direction. I hear
some of you thinking "but wait, 29 doesn't divide by 5 with 2 over!"
And you're right - I added two selvedge stitches - slipped the one at
the beginning of each right-side row, knitted the one at the end of
each right-side row. So my scarf has nice tidy edges, though I could
I purled by mistake.

I guess I only thought I was knitted out, eh?
Old December 31st 03, 02:05 AM
Katherine

Slinky wrote:
snip
Lace rib pattern (Barbara Walker's first treasury)

on 5+2 stitches

R1: k2, *p3, k2* across
R2: p2, *k1, yo, ssk, p2* across
R3: k2, *p3, k2* across
R4: p2, *k2tog, yo, k1, p2* across

Looks good from either side and doesn't curl in any direction. I hear
some of you thinking "but wait, 29 doesn't divide by 5 with 2 over!"
And you're right - I added two selvedge stitches - slipped the one at
the beginning of each right-side row, knitted the one at the end of
each right-side row. So my scarf has nice tidy edges, though I could
I purled by mistake.

Hmmmm, how do you think that would look in a 6x6????
Katherine

Old December 31st 03, 02:18 AM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:07:36 GMT, AlenasMom wrote:

If you were to sell crocheted baby blankets (or any blanket) online, how
would you price them?
I'm thinking of adding some to the store.

Unfortunately, Lina, most people do not consider our time, so we end up
selling things at 50 cents to maybe 2.50 per hour, if you kept track.
A good rule of thumb... which still doesn't pay us a decent hourly wage for
our handmades is:
Cost of product multiplied by three plus ten percent.
HTH,
Noreen
(example, you've got $15 in yarn in your project... times three is $45,
plus $4.50, round up, it's fifty bucks)

--
STRIP * tease * to email me.
Old December 31st 03, 06:38 PM
Agres

That is another skill I admire. When I put down and pickup my knitting,
there tends to be a change in tension that is visible in the finished piece.
Then, it must be blocked (or kept for myself. eg )

Aaron

"Slinky" wrote in message
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 00:26:08 GMT, "Agres"
wrote:

SNIP
[...]

Inspirations Chicken Blanket ragamuffin2004 Needlework 4 December 22nd 04 12:06 PM
blanket stitch Puffins Quilting 14 November 5th 04 01:45 PM
Diamond Pricing Mystery t0rk-- Jewelry 1 February 11th 04 06:21 AM
Cheater blanket Helen in MN Quilting 0 January 28th 04 04:50 PM
Determining fair 14K jewelry pricing Bill Jewelry 12 December 2nd 03 03:17 AM