"Red" Work Embroidery

Old July 15th 09, 11:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default any color Embroidery

Thank you, Jeanne. I was hoping you'd come by and clear that up. I know
just enough about citing sites to be a little bit dangerous. Well. More
like useless. I did want our serious embroidery folks to see Wendy. I
don't embroider much any more but I do love to watch Wendy. Polly

"J*" wrote http://www.wendyschoendesign.com/
try this one, i took the 's' off designs in the link.
j.

"amy in CNY" wrote...
Polly,
I tried your link to Wendy Schoen's page, but i ended up in a baby
shower site. go figure.

I did print out your lovely directions for Redwork. I, too, was
confused on the subject of the threads.
Are they placed one strand next to each other in opposite
directions and sprayed?
I think last time I did embroidery, I used 2-3 strands right off the
skein.
amy in CNY

"Polly Esther" wrote:
Now we're all in trouble because we get into 'if memory serves' but I
think
I learned that from Wendy Schoen who designs the pattern line Petite
Poche
and you can see her really lovely work atwww.wendyschoendesigns.com Wendy
studied at some incredible academy in London as well as probably
everywhere
else. So. Yes, Susan. I think you get really fine results from having one
go one way and one the other. Might be one of those YMMV things. Polly

Old July 15th 09, 11:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Doesn't much matter how you place them when you 'strip' them, Amy. The
object of the game is to have one thread going in one direction and another
thread (or two) going in the other when you thread your needle. You can
inspect the cut ends and see that one will look sharp and the other end kind
of fluffy. There wasn't any spray starch here when I did the bird's beak
stitches so I tried Niagara Easy Iron non-starch spray. It worked very
nicely and maybe bugs won't be attracted to it. I could ask. Polly

Old July 16th 09, 12:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

Thank you! that site is lovely. i adore the fleur de lis pattern, it
just jumps out at you.

ahhh, ok. i was using a filament for some embroidery, but this
tecnique seems easier. Is it ok to use sizing instead of starch?

amy in CNY
Old July 16th 09, 03:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I just don't really know the purpose of giving the floss a spray; might be
to make it smoother? It's been a long, very long time since I learned to
'strip' it. Why don't you give a piece a dose of the sizing and make a
test? Could be it will be even better . . . or dull . . . or stiff. Only
one way to find out. And oh my yes, Wendy is fine. I haven't used any of
her patterns but did benefit from her teaching and I do use some of her baby
clothes patterns.

Old July 16th 09, 06:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

I wonder if the "spray" is to help hold the ends of the threads
together?
I use "Thread Heaven" which comes in a little blue box and is a
silicone based (?) replacement for beeswax.
It helps strengthen the thread as well as smoothing it and helping
those ends stay together when you thread the needle. G
When I learned to do embroidery, back in the dark ages, we separated
the strands we wanted to use from the plyed floss by "pulling" down
the length of the cut floss. I learned to "strip" the floss when I
took a smocking class, and it is soooooo much easier to separate what
you want. However, we were taught to keep all the strands going in the
same direction and to find the "grain" of the thread. It does feel
smoother in one direction than the other when you hold it between
finger and thumb and pull it through. That plus the Thread Heaven
have really improved my hand embroidery. G
Don't do as much of it as I have in the past, but may be getting back
to it soon.

Just remember: What ever works for you, and gives you the results you
want is "right".

Have fun,
Pati, in Phx

Old July 21st 09, 09:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Torrens[_2_]

You could always run the thread through "Thread Heaven". It seems to tame
almost any thread, including some dreaded metallic in cross stitch!

--
Susan
quilting as usual......

http://community.webshots.com/user/sbtinkingston