Crocheting in circles...

Old January 20th 04, 11:01 PM
AlenasMom

Default Crocheting in circles...

Am I the only one who has MAJOR trouble doing this? I can't crochet a
circle to save my life.
I want to make Alena some simple hats as lately she has been pulling out
her hair while she's nursing and she'll be going to the hospital again soon
for an endoscope exam and they'll need her to wear a hat.

--
Lina
Alena born July 1st, 2003

Old January 20th 04, 11:41 PM
Lynne

What sort of problem do you have? I don't find it difficult, although
sometimes I have to change my technique to discourage holes at the join.

- Lynne

ble.rogers.com...

Old January 21st 04, 12:15 AM
AlenasMom

Holes, not remembering where to increase... It always ends up looking
dumb... (Yup... I'm pouting... )
"Lynne" wrote in message
What sort of problem do you have? I don't find it difficult, although
sometimes I have to change my technique to discourage holes at the join.

- Lynne

ble.rogers.com...

Old January 21st 04, 02:21 AM
STEVEN & DAWN

Do you mark your first stitch of the round?

le.rogers.com...
"Lynne" wrote in message
What sort of problem do you have? I don't find it difficult, although
sometimes I have to change my technique to discourage holes at the join.

- Lynne

ble.rogers.com...

Old January 21st 04, 02:50 AM
Lynne

Other than making a formula of where to increase, (like dividing the no. of
increases into the number of stitches in your previous row,) I'm not sure
how to tell you to remember to increase. It's easy to forget, LOL! You
have to count, ... and who likes to count??!?

Multiples of the number of stitches in your original circle are pretty
easy - just increase the number of stitches between increases by one each
time you go around. And be sure to mark the beginning of each round so
you'll know where you are. It's soooo easy to get lost. sigh There's
that infernal counting again, isn't it?

As for the holes, ... it depends on whether you join your round and chain up
to make the next one, or whether you just keep going over the previous
round. Some patterns have you do one, some have you do the other. Some
even have you join and turn your work. Some leave bigger holes than others.
Some are easier to work around.

Maybe a specific question would help. If you're just venting, vent away.
It can be very frustrating when it doesn't look nice.

- Lynne

le.rogers.com...
"Lynne" wrote in message
What sort of problem do you have? I don't find it difficult, although
sometimes I have to change my technique to discourage holes at the join.

- Lynne

ble.rogers.com...

Old January 21st 04, 03:13 AM
JJMolvik

"AlenasMom" wrote in message
I want to make Alena some simple hats as lately she has been pulling out
her hair while she's nursing and she'll be going to the hospital again

soon
for an endoscope exam and they'll need her to wear a hat.

Forgive me my intrusiveness/curiosity; Alena was adopted, yes? Legally all
yours just in December? She is nursing, bottle, I assume. Please correct
me if I am wrong.

JJMolvik

Old January 21st 04, 03:37 AM
AlenasMom

"JJMolvik" wrote in message

"AlenasMom" wrote in message
I want to make Alena some simple hats as lately she has been pulling

out
her hair while she's nursing and she'll be going to the hospital again

soon
for an endoscope exam and they'll need her to wear a hat.

Forgive me my intrusiveness/curiosity; Alena was adopted, yes? Legally

all
yours just in December? She is nursing, bottle, I assume. Please

correct
me if I am wrong.

JJMolvik

Nope... She's mine..Children's Aid was given some really horrific
accusations by my sarcasm ever so loving mother /end sarcasm and ended
up taking partial custody of her. I had to deal with a weekly visit for
almost 6 months from them. They pounced on us when we were in the NICU
waiting for our not even 24 hour old baby to start breathing on her own.
The hospital for Sick Children was flying to our hospital to take her there
for ventilation, and the hospital here was putting a tube down her throat
when they came in, told us to leave, and questioned us for hours. (I'd just
had a C-section and kept dropping my blood sugar, fainting and then being
questioned even more.... ) It was honestly hell on earth.
That's what I meant when I said she was finally mine.
Alena's exclusively breastfed from the time she could eat and 9 days old!

Old January 21st 04, 02:03 PM
Rebekah

"AlenasMom" wrote in message able.rogers.com...
Am I the only one who has MAJOR trouble doing this? I can't crochet a
circle to save my life.

For a flat circle, use this pattern
http://irenecrafts.com/patterns/cd_c...e_holidays.htm
Old January 21st 04, 06:34 PM
JJMolvik

SNIP
[...]

Thank you for satisfying my curiosity. Sorry about your mom, though. Love
on Alena for me, okay?

JJMolvik

Old January 31st 04, 04:33 AM
Cori

Dear Lina,

No! You are not alone. Crocheting in rounds where you never join and start
a new row is one of the toughest things for me to do. I keep loosing my
place. The one suggestion I have to combat it is to take a different color
yarn and mark the spot where I start off.

I find that crocheting in the round where you actually join and start a new
row is much simpler.

Also a suggestion for the hair pulling. Have you tried putting socks on her
hands? I had to do that when my two would keep scratching themselves on the
face while sleeping. It could keep her from getting a good grip on her
hair.

Hugs,
Cori
--
The answer to most of lifes problems is chocolate!
ble.rogers.com...

quilting circles Pampeliska Quilting 3 October 7th 04 01:49 PM
Crocheted Circles Lucille Needlework 0 September 13th 04 03:29 AM
Looking for paper tearing templates, ovals, circles, squares... called "whispers" I think Autumn Rubberstamps 4 May 10th 04 03:02 PM
Brr, cold !! .... knitting and crocheting weather Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 20 January 11th 04 02:14 AM
Does this happen to anyone else after crocheting for a few hours? Mary General Crafting 3 September 29th 03 02:22 PM