help with kiln sitter calibration??

Old May 28th 04, 01:41 AM
Zander

Do't forget that cones measure heat work, and not just temperature!
You can bend a cone in 48 minutes, or 48 hours, depending on how much
heat the cone has been exposed to. It's going to vary some from
firing to firing, depending on atmospheric conditons, how much the
kiln is loaded etc.

I have a similar kiln, but no vent. As any potter will tell you,
everyone is going to have their own firing schedule, and we all do.
Here is what I use for bisque (to cone 04) since i fire to cone 10:

(04 cone in the sitter)

Peeps out (all three), lid is cracked about 1/2 inch, turn
bottom element on low for one hour. Temp is about 100C (212F)

Peeps still out, lid still cracked, turn middle element on low for an
hour, then drop the lid and turn the upper element on low for an hour.

When temp rises to 150C, raise the bottom element to medium.

Put in all three peeps.

When the temp reaches 200C, turn the middle element up to medium.
When the temp hits 250C, turn the top element to medium.

By this time, it's been about 4 hours all told.

When the kiln hits 300, turn the bottom element to high, at 350,
the middle element turns to high, and at 500, the top element.

When the kiln approaches 580C (600 is quartz conversion), I reduce the
middle
and top to medium, until the kiln passes 600. Around 620 or so I turn
everything back to high.

Kiln sitter drops on it's own at 04. I reset the kiln sitter button
and timer (if you have one),
and reduce the 3 elements to medium for an hour, then to low for an
hour. At this point, the kiln should have passed through 600 again on
it's way back down.
If so, shut everything off and go to bed.

All told, about 9 hours. Don't open the kiln until it's 100 degrees,
or the next day.

Some people think that's way too fast a firing, but it works for me.

Personally, I think there are two points at which there is a "danger"
level: The point at which water is being boiled off (212F or 100C)
and again at quartz conversion (600C). My own personal phobia says go
slow for each.

Play with it a bit, and find what works best for you.

Hope that helps,
Wayne

I really appreciate the info Wayne. It's good to have a place to start for
sure. I'm going to be hopefully trying this on the weekend and I'll let
you know how it goes.

Much Thanks,

Zander
Old May 28th 04, 11:56 AM

On 26 May 2004 15:48:33 -0500, Zander wrote:

Do you have any advice?

Thanks!

Zander

Fitt a Perfect Fire controller , that's what I did ,
it's 2004 the kilns sitter belong in the last century
click here www.furnace-eng.co.nz , they are cheap and easy to fitt ,
they have the same diamension as the kiln sitter.

cheers

jason