Venting of Electric Kiln question??

Old February 5th 04, 06:01 PM
Zander

Hi,

I talked to the local pottery store today to cost out existing kiln vent
systems like orton and bailey. He told me that the cone type suspended
vent that I was looking at isn't recommended because it is isn't as
effecient at removing fumes. He suggested the direct kiln vent which he
says is better. Makes sense too I suppose. Apparently you need far less
CFM because you really only want a negative pressure in the kiln, so not
enough to remove all the heat. He said you can keep the cone suspended if
you wish to vent heat out of the room in the summer etc. This has thrown
all of my plans into chaos! I will have to think about all of this....

Zander

"wayneinkeywest" wrote in
:

Right Steve, but since Z wants to use an inline one, that means that
it's going to be a puller, not a pusher. Also, here the "powers that
be" discourage the use of outside fan assemblies, except in commercial
or roof applications, citing noise complaints from
neighbors.
The last thing they need is a nosy inspector, which is why I suggested
using a dryer vent type exhaust. Easy enough for the inspector to
spot and think "oh, that's a dryer" and let it pass :)

The ever devious
Wayne Seidl

"Steve Mills" wrote in message
To add to what Wayne has said, be aware that there are 2 types of
extractor fan which we can call *pushers* or *pullers*. Pushers don't
pull very well and vice-versa. As a pusher would be, as Wayne said,
in a bit of a hot spot, it would probably be best to use a puller
type as close to the outside wall as possible. There are exterior
mounted ones available, I know because we're having one set up as the
kitchen stove extractor; we're fed up with being deafened by the one
in the cooker hood!

Steve
Bath
UK

In article ,
wayneinkeywest writes
When you go through the wall, you can go directly into one of those
aluminium (not plastic...remember...heat!)"dryer vents".,
Depending on where you live, you might want one that
keeps critters out. If it is truly at ground level, like _right_
on the ground, you might want to put an elbow and raise it
\three or four feet to keep it out of the snow, if you have any.
Take a look at how your dryer vents, and do roughly the same thing.
You do NOT have to go right to the roof line. I doubt anyone is
going to be out there with their nose stuck in the vent. If your
neighbors are VERY close to that side of the house,
run the vent (over the top and) into a plastic bucket on the ground
that

is
filled with
water, with the vent pipe sticking into the water. Just
remember to change/add water occasionally. Passing the kiln
gases through the water will help filter anything harmful out.
That's not foolproof though, so don't try that inside! I know it's
not easy chopping concrete. Maybe there's a cellar window nearby
that a glass pane can be removed from to send the pipe outside?
Alternately, you can bury the bucket so the top is _just_ at ground
level, and run the vent line into it from the top. With that,
though, you have to be careful nothing falls in, like small animals
or kids, or tries to drink the water... like small animals or kids
:)

For the vent fan, look at the CFM rating on the fan itself. You
will want something with at least 250 cfm. More than a bathroom fan
vent. You might have to special order it. Check with manufacturers
like Broan or Nutone. I don't know how long a "run" you have
planned for your piping (in feet/meters). Obviously, the longer the
distance the stronger the fan should be. Don't worry about getting
one too

strong,
as you can always raise the vent hood further from the kiln.
If you're going to use an "in-line" fan/booster motor, place it in
the line just at the wall going outside, to give the heat a chance
to cool a

bit
before
sending it through the motor, keeping the motor inside, and out of
the weather.
I've seen the motors mounted right on the hood itself, and they
don't

seem
to hold up as long. (Duh! sitting on top of 2300 degrees
which is being sucked into an electric motor?!)

Hope that helps,
Wayne Seidl

What should I do outside? Is it ok to vent at ground level? Or
should I run the pipe all the way up to the roof line?

And, what kind of fan should I get. They sell in-line duct fans
here that are really meant as 'boosters' or do I need something
more

serious?

Thanks again for any advice.

Zander

--
Steve Mills
Bath

FAQ Raku part 2 of 2 SBRANFPOTS Pottery 0 October 21st 03 02:13 PM
kiln venting question potty Pottery 2 September 17th 03 11:34 PM
FAQ Raku part 2 of 2 SBRANFPOTS Pottery 0 September 16th 03 11:11 PM
Raku FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 20th 03 04:49 AM
Kiln question Kalera Stratton Beads 13 July 11th 03 06:35 AM