Drying question

Old December 16th 03, 12:31 AM

Default Drying question

Hello - I'm sure this question's been asked a billion times on this
newsgroup, but I just blew up half my kiln-load of Christmas presents and am
in a bit of a bind. I'm guessing a couple large (14") bowls still had some
moisture in the bases. So, with ten days left, any suggestions on how to
quickly and safely get my pots bone-dry for a firing? ie. put it in your
oven at 375, put it in the kiln at low, hairdryer, fan, etc.?! Shouldn't
have rushed it in the first place, but I thought they were dry. Ah well.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Simon

Old December 16th 03, 03:00 AM
Steve Powell

When pots are firm I occasionally bring them into the house to finish
drying. I have heard of using the microwave' on low power initially I think,
although this is very much trial and error.
Some gas or oil kiln firers "candle" i.e. place on a very low flame
overnight to ensure pots are fully dry before firing proper.

.. .

Old December 16th 03, 04:25 AM
annemarie

wrote in message
.. .
Hello - I'm sure this question's been asked a billion times on this
newsgroup, but I just blew up half my kiln-load of Christmas presents and

am
in a bit of a bind. I'm guessing a couple large (14") bowls still had

some
moisture in the bases. So, with ten days left, any suggestions on how to
quickly and safely get my pots bone-dry for a firing? ie. put it in your
oven at 375, put it in the kiln at low, hairdryer, fan, etc.?! Shouldn't
have rushed it in the first place, but I thought they were dry. Ah well.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Simon

You cannot hurry anything with additions, like handles or spouts. An
ordinary bowl with a turned foot though should be fine.
I have hurried things along by putting work like this in the kiln at about
50C and leaving it for several hours just chugging along at 50, I check it
regularly and wipe any excess moisture that forms on the surface off. I
have done this to even get bowls dry enough to turn to no ill effects. It
does depend on your clay though.
If I am a little unsure that something is completely dry I load the kiln the
day before the firing, heat it slowly to 100C to 150C then turn it off and
leave the door closed.
Any residue moisture should dry out over night and then you fire the kiln
the next day.
Annemarie

Old December 16th 03, 10:35 PM
paula

on a couple of occasions, (usually at this time of the year) when the
kiln gets unloaded then loaded , unloaded etc. etc. if i have had to
quick dry some items i have put a kiln shelf on top of my kiln
(outside) to buffer the heat then stood the item(s) on top of the
shelf and they have dried during the firing. it is not something
reccomended but we all do things out of neccesity and so far i have
not had any problems.
Old December 19th 03, 05:36 PM
jim solo

hold the kiln at 180 for 24 hours.I fired mostly sculptures that were up to
24 inches thick and did the same process for a week or ten days to good
effect.