Cathedral Windows slideshow link

Old August 11th 07, 11:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mauvice in central WI

Default Cathedral Windows slideshow link

Hi all, here is a link for a really good slideshow, illustrating
cathedral windows construction....found it while searching the subject
for a friend....

http://www.globnet.com/~flair/cathed..._detected.html
Is this "our" Julia?
Mauvice in central WI

Old August 11th 07, 12:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
elspeth

Yes, this is "our" Julia. Very good slide show! I had no idea how
complicated the process is to make a cathedral window.

oups.com...

Old August 11th 07, 01:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

That's a nice demo to which I say......"No way, Jose!" We had someone in
our guild demo cathedral windows a few years back and right then I knew it
wasn't something I would ever attempt. I'm glad there are those who do like
to do them though. Everyone has different preferences. That block just
isn't one of mine.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old August 11th 07, 02:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MB

I saw an interesting method on Simply Quilts once...by a gal who'd written
a book on
making the cath. windows by machine. It looked so confusing !....But
either way I do not
think I'll ever make any---even though my mom always wanted me to make
one...she loved
that style quilt.

Old August 11th 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I went to a class, once, on doing Cathedral windows by machine. I don't
know if this was the same method; but - confusing? Totally. I disliked
it, but thought I had better finish it. Went back to it after a couple
of weeks and couldn't figure out a thing. 'Fraid that experiment went in
the bin. There's another one heading that way, too, as soon as I find it
again g

Real Cathedral windows I do like. I couldn't do a whole quilt, though.
..
In message , MB
writes
I saw an interesting method on Simply Quilts once...by a gal who'd written
a book on
making the cath. windows by machine. It looked so confusing !....But
either way I do not
think I'll ever make any---even though my mom always wanted me to make
one...she loved
that style quilt.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 11th 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Saw a 'quick blurb' on Lap Quilting yesterday. She did it 'all by machine'
and made it seem easy. She did call it the "Year Quilt" as it usually takes
a year to do a twin size.
I would like to make a 4 block pillow just to be able to say "I did
it"......just not tomorrow.

Butterfly (I Spy is SOOOOOO much easier)

Old August 11th 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

it may have been Shelley Swanland - she did a book and several
patterns like that, using a machine technique. I watched her demo it
at a show, didn't get a pattern [she had several] but got one later.

Watching the link from the first post, I really liked the music, but
it seemed the technique was a lot more than I remember learning 20 yrs
ago. Somewhere in my boxes is a CW piece I started that has a Celtic
design in the middle, surrounded with a border of CW, done in shades
of burgundy. Will have to finish that some day.

Ginger in CA

"KJ" wrote in message

That's a nice demo to which I say......"No way, Jose!" We had someone in
our guild demo cathedral windows a few years back and right then I knew it
wasn't something I would ever attempt. I'm glad there are those who do

like
to do them though. Everyone has different preferences. That block just
isn't one of mine.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Mauvice in central WI" wrote in message
roups.com...
Hi all, here is a link for a really good slideshow, illustrating
cathedral windows construction....found it while searching the subject
for a friend....

http://www.globnet.com/~flair/cathed..._detected.html
Is this "our" Julia?
Mauvice in central WI- Hide quoted text -

Old August 11th 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

That was my feeling too Ginger? I don't remember seaming the divisions?
I thought they were just folded and pressed? Maybe there are several
methods, though.
..
In message om, Ginger
in CA writes

Old August 11th 07, 09:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Are most cathedral blocks made four at a time? I think the demo I saw was
for just one window.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Patti" wrote in message
That was my feeling too Ginger? I don't remember seaming the divisions? I
thought they were just folded and pressed? Maybe there are several
methods, though.
.
In message om, Ginger
in CA writes

Old August 11th 07, 09:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Yes, Kathyl. You might have seen a demo for Secret Garden? a
simplified version of CW; though even that, I think requires multiple
'bases' - the framing parts - just not so much folding.
The reason is that you need the bias folds to be coming away from their
own block onto the centrepiece, along with three other bias folds from
three other directions.
You *could* do a similar sort of thing with one of Jennie Rayment's
manipulation techniques where you cut five equal squares (four of the
same fabric, one different), fold four of them in half along the
diagonal; place one folded square on each corner of the fifth square;
roll back the folded bias edge for all the corners in sequence, to
reveal the fabric of the fifth square. (You need to tack all the free
corners of the folded squares to the base square, before you start
rolling back).

This doesn't look at all like CW, but the principal of rolled back bias
and contrasting fabric is similar.
..
In message PZovi.41372$Xa3.12975@attbi_s22, KJ
writes

Cathedral Windows Dawn Cherni Quilting 4 April 11th 07 12:00 PM
Cathedral Windows Pauline Quilting 4 March 15th 07 09:00 AM
cathedral windows rsqpug Quilting 9 August 17th 05 10:19 PM
Cathedral Beads Looking for....... Debbie B Beads 5 April 20th 04 06:37 PM
My first cathedral beads Marisa Cappetta Beads 12 September 3rd 03 06:05 PM