Help with pattern from Knitter's Spring 1998

Old August 26th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Nyssa

Default Help with pattern from Knitter's Spring 1998

I'm knitting the lace doily on page 72 of the magazine.

I'm almost done, so of course, I finally hit a problem. sigh

The Round 87 calls for a very strange combination to be knit
into a double yo from the previous round.

It's not coming out right!!

from the round's instructions:

"into front of first yo, work (k1, [yo, k1] twice), then work
[yo, k1] twice into front of 2nd yo"

In other lace patterns I've seen, the double yos are either
knitted into backs and fronts of the double yos or knitted
and purled into them.

I can't seem to get this combination to come out looking right
or even. The biggest problem is with the leading yo into the
second of the double yos.

Any suggestions? Anyone already work this pattern? If so, how
did you handle this?

If no one has any other ideas, I may just punt and do the
back-and-front knits to increase into the double yo. As long
as I'm consistant, I'm wondering if it would make any practical
difference as long as I end up with an extra 9 stitches for each
double yo.

Nyssa, who is also running close on thread for the project, but
that's another issue
Old August 26th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

On 26 Aug 2006 10:54:50 EDT, Nyssa spewed forth
:

I'm knitting the lace doily on page 72 of the magazine.

I'm almost done, so of course, I finally hit a problem. sigh

The Round 87 calls for a very strange combination to be knit
into a double yo from the previous round.

It's not coming out right!!

from the round's instructions:

"into front of first yo, work (k1, [yo, k1] twice),

So into the first YO you're manufacturing 5 stitches:

k1, YO, k1, YO, k1

then work
[yo, k1] twice into front of 2nd yo"

Then into the very next over (I presume there are two overs on your
left needle?) you're making four stitches:

yo, k1, yo, k1, yo

In other lace patterns I've seen, the double yos are either
knitted into backs and fronts of the double yos or knitted
and purled into them.

Same here, but this ought to work, at least from a technical
standpoint.

I can't seem to get this combination to come out looking right
or even. The biggest problem is with the leading yo into the
second of the double yos.

There's no leading YO anywhere that I can see - you start with a knit
stitch for the first set of increases into the first over, same for
the second set into the second over.

I'm working on a Starmore sweater that has a triple increase directly
in to a quadruple increase, one row after the other. I thought it
would be 1. impossible and 2. look bad and 3. look REALLY bad, but it
disappears into the cablework that commences on round three of the
pattern. I did modify her increase METHOD in one instance because it
just couldn't be physically done (vertical strand? huh?) otherwise no
problem.

Any suggestions? Anyone already work this pattern? If so, how
did you handle this?

If no one has any other ideas, I may just punt and do the
back-and-front knits to increase into the double yo. As long
as I'm consistant, I'm wondering if it would make any practical
difference as long as I end up with an extra 9 stitches for each
double yo.

Nyssa, who is also running close on thread for the project, but
that's another issue

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old August 26th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DA

Any suggestions? Anyone already work this pattern? If so, how
did you handle this?

If no one has any other ideas, I may just punt and do the
back-and-front knits to increase into the double yo. As long
as I'm consistant, I'm wondering if it would make any practical
difference as long as I end up with an extra 9 stitches for each
double yo.

Nyssa, who is also running close on thread for the project, but
that's another issue

Have you checked the Knitter's site for corrections?
http://www.knittinguniverse.com
DA

Old August 26th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Nyssa

Wooly wrote:

On 26 Aug 2006 10:54:50 EDT, Nyssa spewed forth
:

I'm knitting the lace doily on page 72 of the magazine.

I'm almost done, so of course, I finally hit a problem. sigh

The Round 87 calls for a very strange combination to be knit
into a double yo from the previous round.

It's not coming out right!!

from the round's instructions:

"into front of first yo, work (k1, [yo, k1] twice),

So into the first YO you're manufacturing 5 stitches:

k1, YO, k1, YO, k1

No problems with that part.

then work
[yo, k1] twice into front of 2nd yo"

Then into the very next over (I presume there are two overs on your
left needle?) you're making four stitches:

yo, k1, yo, k1, yo

Nope, yo, k1, yo, k1 = four stitches, not five with the extra
yo you added. There is a *leading* yo onto the second loop of
the double of the previous round. That's what's getting gunked
up (technical term . It tends to get lost once I do the first
k1. And tends to be loopy almost like a picot sometimes.

It really becomes noticable on the next round when you knit
across the newly made stitches. Not neat and tidy like I'd
want.

I've frogged it once, and I'm researching other approaches
before I commit to another try.

In other lace patterns I've seen, the double yos are either
knitted into backs and fronts of the double yos or knitted
and purled into them.

Same here, but this ought to work, at least from a technical
standpoint.

I can't seem to get this combination to come out looking right
or even. The biggest problem is with the leading yo into the
second of the double yos.

There's no leading YO anywhere that I can see - you start with a knit
stitch for the first set of increases into the first over, same for
the second set into the second over.

See above. There is a yo that starts the series onto the second
loop of the double yos.

I'm working on a Starmore sweater that has a triple increase directly
in to a quadruple increase, one row after the other. I thought it
would be 1. impossible and 2. look bad and 3. look REALLY bad, but it
disappears into the cablework that commences on round three of the
pattern. I did modify her increase METHOD in one instance because it
just couldn't be physically done (vertical strand? huh?) otherwise no
problem.

Modification will work for me if I can't get the original
instruction to behave.

Nyssa, still catching up on five days' worth of USENET since her
news server was down

Old August 26th 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

On 26 Aug 2006 10:54:50 EDT, Nyssa spun a fine yarn

[...]

---

I don't have the magazine or pattern, but I think DA's suggestion of
going to knittinguniverse is a good one!
Noreen

back into the darkness.... me/has a migraine.

http://www.lulu.com/content/292418
- - - - -
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0634-2, 08/24/2006
Tested: 8/26/2006 1:03:21 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old August 27th 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
cozyhomelife

Just to cover all possibilities, go to their site and look for corrections
to their patterns for that issue.

--
-Cozy

http://blogs.delphiforums.com/n/blog...g=cozy_at_home

Happiness doesn't come from having things, it comes from *having things you
can find*

Old August 27th 06, 02:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Nyssa

DA wrote:

Any suggestions? Anyone already work this pattern? If so, how
did you handle this?

If no one has any other ideas, I may just punt and do the
back-and-front knits to increase into the double yo. As long
as I'm consistant, I'm wondering if it would make any practical
difference as long as I end up with an extra 9 stitches for each
double yo.

Nyssa, who is also running close on thread for the project, but
that's another issue

Have you checked the Knitter's site for corrections?
http://www.knittinguniverse.com
DA

Yep, I did that early on to double check stitch counts.

No corrections are listed for the pattern.

Nyssa, who got through the round by compromising on the stitch
combination between double yos