English hallmarks

Old March 17th 05, 03:59 PM
Tobor

Default English hallmarks

I have recently become interested in collecting 9ct gold charms that
bear an English (or UK) hallmark. Problem is many items described as
hallmarked are just stamped "9ct" or "375", with no maker or assay
office mark present. Would I be right in thinking that these items
were not stamped by the assay office but rather by the maker or some
other third party and if so what value, if any, do they add.

For example; I have a gold kurb link charm bracelet with heart shaped
padlock and safety chain. I suspect the chain was originaly a watch
chain. I have no doubt the chain is 9ct solid gold and it is stamped
"375" on every link but ther are no other marks. So I wonder just what
value these marks add to the bracelet if any?

Regards to all
Tobor
Old March 19th 05, 02:00 AM
Ted Frater

Tobor wrote:
I have recently become interested in collecting 9ct gold charms that
bear an English (or UK) hallmark. Problem is many items described as
hallmarked are just stamped "9ct" or "375", with no maker or assay
office mark present. Would I be right in thinking that these items
were not stamped by the assay office but rather by the maker or some
other third party and if so what value, if any, do they add.

For example; I have a gold kurb link charm bracelet with heart shaped
padlock and safety chain. I suspect the chain was originaly a watch
chain. I have no doubt the chain is 9ct solid gold and it is stamped
"375" on every link but ther are no other marks. So I wonder just what
value these marks add to the bracelet if any?

Regards to all
Tobor

Any item fully marked ,ie with ALL the correct marks is always worth
more than an identical item with out these full marks.
At best stamped 375 could mean its 9ct gold but it then all boils down
to what you paid for it.
the whole object of marking is to prevent the cheating of customers.
Id advise you only collect charms you can actually see with a
jewellers hand lense that have the full marks.
If your serious about buying well then also get yourself a small digital
balance so you can weigh the item. then with this weight, cross
reference it to the current 9ct gold price, and youll be surprised what
a markup your paying.
Most charms are mass produced anyway in the jewellery quarter in
birmingham out of the thinnest gold possible.
Afterall that kind of gold item is designed to make as much profit for
the maker, wholesaler and retailer.
hope this doesnt disappoint you too much

Old March 19th 05, 02:00 AM
Andy Parker

You are correct that these are not 'hallmarks', to be such the mark
must contain the assay office mark eg leopards head for London, a
quality mark which used to be in the form 9 or 18 etc. but is now 375
and so on, a sponsors mark, that is the mark of the person submitting
the work for assay, often the maker but always so and a date letter
although I believe even that is now optional.

As to what value the marks you can see add I suppose it depends on how
much of a sceptic you are, personally I would say none but then I am a
confirmed doubter!

It was common practice, especially on things like watch chains -
'Alberts' here, to place a full mark somewhere, probably the bar and a
simpler mark on each link, that is nice to see when complete and might
add value but if they get separated then the 375 on it's own is
relatively meaningless.

Andy Parker, Agate House Lapidary
Ulverston, Cumbria, England

www.agatehouse.co.uk
Tel: 01229 584023

English Basketry wood bases 1900s BIN Sarah M. Marketplace 0 December 17th 04 01:01 AM
English Basketry wood bases 1900s vintage Sarah M. Marketplace 0 December 6th 04 11:16 PM
English please? jk Glass 7 February 28th 04 11:43 PM
manuals in English Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 2 July 13th 03 03:43 PM