How do I Oxidize Silver?

Old March 13th 05, 05:13 AM
Martha McIntosh

Default How do I Oxidize Silver?

I have been looking to no avail for a substance called "liver of sulfur"
used to oxidize portions of silver jewelry. If you know where I can
find this, please let me know.

PEACE,

Martha McIntosh
Old March 13th 05, 05:35 AM
Peter W.. Rowe,

On , in ˜
crafts.jewelry Martha McIntosh wrote:

I have been looking to no avail for a substance called "liver of sulfur"
used to oxidize portions of silver jewelry. If you know where I can
find this, please let me know.

PEACE,

Martha McIntosh

where are you located Martha?

In the U.S.A., at least, virtually any jewelry tools supplier can get it for you. I'd
imagine in the U.K. or other parts of the E.U., if you can find a jewelry tools and
supplies dealer, they could also obtain it for you. The raw chemical (a somewhat
imprecise/ impure mix of mostly potassium polysulphides and potassium thiosulphate) may
be special order from smaller firms, but is generally easily available. Just as
effective are various liquid products usually sold as silver oxidizers, made from the
similar chemicals, though usually not exactly liver of sulphur, in order to get a longer
shelf life. Usually less expensive than the basic dry chemical.

Note that liver of sulphur has a distinct "shelf life", since it agressively attracts
and then slowly reacts with and is degraded by, moisture, and if the container is not
tightly sealed, (and sometimes even when you think it is), it degrades into other
compounds that are no longer very effective at oxidizing silver, Water solutions you
make of the chemical to oxidize silver will have also an only short shelf life (a couple
of days, generally). Because of this, purchasing small quantities may be a wiser
purchase, or the prepared oxidizing liquids, for the same reason. They too, often have
a limited shelf life, but it's usually somewhat longer than your home mixed solutions (a
year or so), and as the product costs less in this form, less goes to waste. Some
of the silver oxiziing liquds are made with more aggressive chemcials (telluric
(spelling?) acid, and hydrochloric acid, among others). more toxic, don't degrade over
time, and give a stronger blacker color on silver. In the U.S., some firms that can get
the raw chemical, or the preparations, for you include Rio Grande, Gesswein, Frei and
Borel, and many others.

A good alternative to liver of sulphur, that may last longer in storage, cost less, and
be more easily available, and which gives the exact same color range on silver, is a
garden supply chemical called "lime sulphur:" Often sold as a liquid used for treating
various plant diseases (I think it's a fungicide, though I'm not sure). it would be
sold where gardening supplies are sold.

Peter Rowe
Old March 13th 05, 08:22 AM
Rick Cook

Martha McIntosh wrote:
I have been looking to no avail for a substance called "liver of sulfur"
used to oxidize portions of silver jewelry. If you know where I can
find this, please let me know.

PEACE,

Martha McIntosh

I get it at my local jewelry supply house. If you don't have a 'local'
you can always order from Rio Grande (www.riogrande.com) or any of the
other on-line suppliers.

--RC
Old March 13th 05, 08:22 AM
Sarit Wolfus

Hi,
Never tried it myself but this article does make sense: "Oxidize
Sterling Silver
Naturally" by Pat Greer
http://www.home-jewelry-business-suc...ng-silver.html
I am using the commercial compound.
Sarit.
http://sarit-jewelry.com

Old March 13th 05, 06:48 PM
CM Fox

Rick Cook wrote:
Martha McIntosh wrote:
I have been looking to no avail for a substance called "liver of

sulfur"
used to oxidize portions of silver jewelry. If you know where I

can
find this, please let me know.

PEACE,

Martha McIntosh

Go with Peter's suggestion. I use a "dormant spray" liquid with calcium
polysulfide 28.7% or lime sulfur. I've had it for 4 years now in it's
original container and it's still going strong.

I mix it with very hot water (lots of water, a little sulfur) and it
does a great job.

Carla

pure silver jewellery boomkap Jewelry 0 January 9th 05 01:49 AM
Experimenting with GOLD and SILVER Dennis Bicknell Jewelry 0 August 24th 04 04:44 AM
Sterling silver question (.925) porkchops Jewelry 7 January 24th 04 06:58 PM
High Mercury Content in Silver Bracelet KJ Jewelry 8 December 23rd 03 04:57 AM
Bali Silver -- What's the Deal? saucy Beads 16 August 21st 03 03:21 PM