somewhat On Topic - bobbin winder

Old November 26th 08, 03:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

Default somewhat On Topic - bobbin winder

The clutch thingie on my sewing machine is once again 'stuck.' This means that
the needle thingie goes up and down when I need to make a bobbin full of thread
in order to sew a pillow or purse for my embroidery (see how I've cleverly made
it sort of on topic). Someone nice and strong might be able to unstick it but
I'm not gonna pay more than the machine is worth to get it fixed by a
professional.

I'm thinking of buying a stand alone bobbin winder. Any thoughts on this
thought?
--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old November 26th 08, 03:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

anne wrote:
.....snipped.....
I'm thinking of buying a stand alone bobbin winder. Any thoughts on this
thought?

Several of the people over at RCTQ have gotten the bobbin winder and
they seemed to like it just fine. I've seen then at Joann's and I think
the cost was about $40.00. That would be a good time to use a coupon!!
I've been thinking about getting one because the bobbin winder on my
machine is out of whack. It's the kind where pushing the bobbin against
the winder stop latches it into gear, disengages the needle and makes
the bobbin assembly turn to wind the thread onto the bobbin. Problem
is, the bobbin wont stay stuck against the stop so I can't wind a bobbin
-- have to drag out another sewing machine just to do that! It's time
for the machine to go in for another 50,000 mile service so I will have
the bobbin winder "stuff" checked.
When is the last time you gave you machine a good cleaning or had it
serviced? Could be that there's just a piece of something stuck
somewhere that is causing your bobbin winder to malfunction. You could
always just ask what they charge at Joann's when the guys there to clean
machines. I know that they charge about $35.00 here to clean &
"service" machines that are not computer operated. CiaoMeow ^;;^
--
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Old November 26th 08, 11:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Kay Lancaster

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 09:34:55 -0500, anne wrote:
The clutch thingie on my sewing machine is once again 'stuck.' This means that

Consider talking to the nice folks over on the yahoo group "wefixit" --
there's a fair chance someone will have a good idea of exactly what's wrong
and what needs to happen.

If it's just metal-to-metal seizing, I'd probably try WD-40 or methyl
salicylate, applied every day for a week or so, then a couple of good whaps
with a heavy phone book.

(You can also just take out the needle when winding a bobbin if the clutch
doesn't want to cooperate, at least until you can fix it.)

Kay

Old November 29th 08, 02:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

anne wrote:
......snipped.........
to you and Miz Mary, it is way past time for the machine to be oiled but the
last time I did it, I made a mess with the oil and had to run a lot of thread
and fabric through the mechanisms to get it clean. The money probably
could've/should've been spent on a checkup but I don't know a reputable service
technician.

Next time you are in Joann's, ask them if they have someone who
comes to the store to service customer machines. My Joann's does this
-- usually every 3 or 4 months and they will put a sign on the front
door to let customers know about it. Another thought is to call a local
store that sells vacuums and sewing machines. They usually service
machines and can usually be trusted.
Even if you don't want to take the chance of oiling your machine,
you really should clean it after every few projects. I don't have to
oil my machine because it is computerized but I DO have to clean it and
you would be surprised the amount of schmutz that is caught up in the
area around the bobbin!!! I sew a lot so I clean my machine after every
2 or 3 projects and should probably do it after every single project.
I'm lazy and don't like having to get out the little screwdriver and
other tools so I wait as long as possible :-). Seriously -- you would
not believe the difference it makes when your machine is clean and oiled
and properly serviced. Call around and find someone to service your
machine -- it's a whole lot cheaper than having to buy a new
machine!!!!! CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary

Question about Side Winder Sunny[_2_] Quilting 14 September 26th 08 05:21 AM
winder [email protected] Yarn 3 April 1st 08 11:41 PM
Ball winder troubleshooting myswendy Yarn 3 February 7th 08 12:31 AM
Swift and Ball Winder Mark Yarn 4 March 27th 05 04:27 AM
Wool Winder droid Yarn 2 November 11th 03 02:17 PM