Cookery - UK versus N. America

Old November 27th 08, 08:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MelissaD

Default Cookery - UK versus N. America

Olwyn Mary wrote:

"Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)"
wrote in message

Whilst struggling to interpret an American recipe I came across this
handy translation guide:
http://marycontrary.tripod.com/food/charts.html
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK

I did happen to notice, on further study of the tables, that it does not
mention the main difference between U.K. "icing sugar" and North
American "confectioners sugar".

Icing sugar is pure sugar, very finely ground. Confectioners sugar has
a small amount of cornstarch added, supposedly to avoid lumping. This
means that it will not make real royal icing,(the kind which sets like
concrete). Nowadays, if I want real royal icing I can go to my local
import shop and buy icing sugar. In past years, I had to take regular
sugar and grind it really finely, a small amount at a time, in my
blender. Mind you, my dh says he prefers the American kind, it makes it
easier to cut the Christmas cake (yes, Gillian, I still make one, old
family recipe, complete with marzipan, royal icing, piped flowers on
top, the whole bit).

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans

I make royal icing on a fairly regular basis to decorate my over-the-top
cookies. I find that mixing some meringue powder into the
confectioner's sugar does the trick - you can make it as stiff or soft
as you like for piping and it dries like rock candy.

MelissaD
Old November 29th 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
bungadora

wrote in message
[...]

A short video on the behaviour of icing

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xp7...bohmiens_music

Dora
Old November 29th 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"lucretia borgia" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 08:24:49 -0800 (PST), bungadora
opined:

A short video on the behaviour of icing

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xp7...bohmiens_music

Dora

Too funny Dora.

Actually the rules do not apply to the icing sugar in NS, it is put
out by Atlantic Sugar and is simply powdered sugar, I don't know what
you get in Alberta though.

Here in Florida, and back in New York, it was called different things, but
they were all supposedly identical. At least I was told that they were
interchangeable and never had a problem. IIRC it was either confectioners,
superfine, icing sugar and there was one more but I don't remember what it
was called.

Old November 29th 08, 05:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
bungadora

On Nov 29, 9:35*am, lucretia borgia
wrote:
On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 08:24:49 -0800 (PST), bungadora
opined:

A short video on the behaviour of icing

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xp7...hoeur-bohmiens...

Dora

Too funny Dora. *

I should have said this is how EUROPEAN icing sugar behaves.

Actually the rules do not apply to the icing sugar in NS, it is put
out by Atlantic Sugar and is simply powdered sugar, I don't know what
you get in Alberta though.

I think it is powdered. I don't buy it often enough and am not enough
of a treat cook to know. Maybe a bag every 2 years? This little
discussion has been quite educational - I always thought it was all
the same thing.

Out here in the west, when I was growing up, most of the sugar
available used to be beet sugar - all the native kids at my school
used to disappear periodically to pick sugar beets. I think that
market has been completely driven out by cane sugar now and there
probably isn't a Canadian brand at the local grocery, whereas 20-some
years ago there used to be. I'll check when I'm getting groceries.
Again, I think I only buy 1 bag a year, usually when I'm canning.
Dora
Old November 30th 08, 04:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Olwyn Mary

bungadora wrote:

A short video on the behaviour of icing

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xp7...bohmiens_music

Dora

Very good!!

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans

Fiber-related cookery?! Nann Quilting 2 July 25th 08 06:30 PM
OT - Christmas cookery Bruce Needlework 0 December 5th 07 12:55 PM
OT - cookery Bruce Needlework 1 December 1st 07 09:12 PM
Great gift on sale ! You love America Click here ! America, You're Beautiful ! Be patriotic ! webpromoter Marketplace 0 August 21st 04 06:47 PM
Maple leaf versus oak leaf versus elm, others? QuiltShopHopper Quilting 11 September 21st 03 04:18 PM