Any Polish Christmas freebies?

Old November 18th 08, 10:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Default Any Polish Christmas freebies?

I'd like to make a Christmas ornament for someone who is Polish, and
I've searched and Googled but can't find anything on the Web. Does
anyone know where I can get a freebie Polish Christmas ornament? Or a
freebie of something related to Poland? Or, if that doesn't work,
does anyone know of a book or chart with a small Polish design,
preferably a Christmas one? Hopefully, I'd be able to find that book
or chart before Christmas! Or, actually, before Thanksgiving, so I
can get going on this.

Thanks for your help!

Audrey
Old November 19th 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman

wrote:
I'd like to make a Christmas ornament for someone who is Polish, and
I've searched and Googled but can't find anything on the Web. Does
anyone know where I can get a freebie Polish Christmas ornament? Or a
freebie of something related to Poland? Or, if that doesn't work,
does anyone know of a book or chart with a small Polish design,
preferably a Christmas one? Hopefully, I'd be able to find that book
or chart before Christmas! Or, actually, before Thanksgiving, so I
can get going on this.

Thanks for your help!

Audrey

I think that the felt applique Christmas ornaments may have a Polish
connection, although a Piecework article (in Nov. 1997) identified them
as Hungarian in origin. A friend's daughter bought me a felt ornament
while traveling in Poland.

I can't find any pictures on the web of the applique felt ornaments, but
the designs are related, it seems to me, to traditional Polish
paper-cutting, such as illustrated he
http://info-poland.buffalo.edu/class...anki/text.html

Wait, I found some photos!
http://www.crossroadstrade.com/Merch...y_Cod e=ORNHU
These are identified as Hungarian. What I had in mind was most like the
star ornament or the heart one.

A modern adaptation of the same theme can be seen clearly he
http://www.bronners.com/1129491.html

Another thought: Isn't St. Nicholas celebrated in Poland?
http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=93
Maybe do a cross stitch of St. Nicholas. There are some nice ones he
http://www.curtisboehringer.com/
(click on cross stitch, then "Old World Santa Stand ups". I have a
couple of these in my stash. You could as easily make it into an
ornament as a standup.)

HTH!

Sue

--
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music
Old November 20th 08, 10:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Nov 19, 12:06 pm, monique wrote:
If you can find out how to say "Happy Christmas" in Polish, that would
be a good start. Nice font, a few embellishments= done.

Monique in TX

Wesolych Swiat Bozego Narodzenia (with a cross through the l and a
cedilla under the a and a dot over the z in Bozego)

Elizabeth

Old November 22nd 08, 05:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Thank you everyone, for your suggestions. I'm going to do this one:
http://www.bronners.com/1132191.html I've already graphed it in
PCStitch Pro. Plus, I'll add Wesolych Swiat.

I appreciate all the ideas. They got me going in the right direction!

Audrey

Old November 23rd 08, 01:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Nov 22, 12:21 pm, " wrote:
Thank you everyone, for your suggestions. I'm going to do this one:http://www.bronners.com/1132191.html I've already graphed it in
PCStitch Pro. Plus, I'll add Wesolych Swiat.

I appreciate all the ideas. They got me going in the right direction!

This link has the proper spelling - I forgot to mention the mark over
the S in Swiat: http://www.bronners.com/1008480.html

Elizabeth