Off topic - how hard can this be to make

Old November 20th 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Default Still OT - older boy gifts Off topic -Store Closings

Ericka wrote:
I know that Talbots is closing all men's and children's stores,
but only 22 other stores (from among Talbots, Talbots Petites,
Talbots Women and J. Jill). That's nowhere near all their stores--
it's around 2 percent, I think.

True, but if they close the only one anywhere close to you, it might as
well be "all stores".

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

"On his tombstone, Benjamin Franklin wanted it said not that he had been
rich
but rather that he had been useful."

Finished 10/7/08 - Sun Fun (Dimensions)

WIP: Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono
(Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://cfs-facts.blogspot.com/
Old November 20th 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

Default Still OT - older boy gifts Off topic - how hard can thisbe to make

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 11/19/08 3:44 PM, in article ,
"Jangchub" wrote:

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 14:59:25 -0500, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

Gosh I feel like Debbie Downer here this week, but I saw a story
(forget where) that buying gift cards may not be a great idea because
this year so many retail chains are going to declare bankruptcy the
gift cards may be voided. Now that may be totally paranoid, but this
year I think I may have seen everything!
Victoria

Given I have two unplanned days off this week, I have to agree. But I don't
think the bigger chains are going belly up before the cards are used.

Already on your new job?

They did warn us that business was often slow until after Thanksgiving. It
is just slower than expected.

Hey, did you ever think the big car
builders would need a fifty billion dollar bailout?

Given the number of problems I had with my truck - yes. Great article in
the WSJ about how the government shouldn't bail them out but force them into
bankruptcy. (I agree whole heartedly.) Foreclosure would make them dump the
unprofitable ways.
I guess Walmart
won't suffer. I don't try to be cynical, but lately one never
knows.

actually, according to friends that work there, business on gift items and
jewelry are down. And people that would be 2-3 shirts are only getting one.

The boys last year all got gift cards to Best Buy, and three of the
girls got Target(their wish); two wanted LTD2. Best Buy is good because
the boys can get videos, computer stuff, music etc. I won't buy Circuit
City because of their financial problems, but I feel best Buy Buy will
hold up OK. I think all the girls will get Target this year...there is
so much different stuff they can buy there, and I haven't a clue what
turns which kid on in any given year!

To make it On Topic, I am knitting the eldest grandson a stadium blanket
in PSU colors. He may hate it, but he can give it away, and just not
tell me!

Gillian
Old November 20th 08, 09:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 11/19/08 3:09 PM, in article , "Lucille"
lzoltynospam@now at comcast..net wrote:

Gosh I feel like Debbie Downer here this week, but I saw a story
(forget where) that buying gift cards may not be a great idea because
this year so many retail chains are going to declare bankruptcy the
gift cards may be voided. Now that may be totally paranoid, but this
year I think I may have seen everything!
Victoria

Given I have two unplanned days off this week, I have to agree. But I
don't
think the bigger chains are going belly up before the cards are used.

I received this list the other day from a friend. Sadly, I think it is
correct.

Watch those store money cards and gift cards and credit slips! Stores that
informed the Security Exchange of closing plans between October 2008 and
January 2009.
PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO ALL YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS. Circuit City stores...
most recent (? how many) Ann Taylor- 117 stores nationwide are to be
shuttered Lane Bryant,, Fashion Bug ,and Catheri
ne's to close 150 store nationwide
Eddie Bauer to close stores 27 stores and more after January Cache will
close all stores Talbots closing down all stores J. Jill closing all stores
GAP closing 85 stores Footlocker closing 140 stores more to close after
January Wickes Furniture closing down Levitz closing down remaining stores
Bombay closing remaining stores Zales closing down 82 stores and 105 after
January.Whitehall closing all=20stores Piercing Pagoda closing all stores
Disney closing 98 stores and will close more after January. Home Depot
closing 15 stores 1 in NJ (New Brunswick)Macys to close 9 stores after
January Linens and Things closing all stores Movie Galley Closing all stores
Pacific Sunware closing stores Pep Boys Closing 33 stores Sprint/ Nextel
closing 133 stores JC Penney closing a number of stores after January Ethan
Allen closing down 12 stores. Wilson Leather closing down all stores Sharper
Image closing down all storesK B Toys closing 356 stores Loews to close down
some storesDillard's to close some stores.

That's useful - scary but useful. I'm not surprised by some (Lane Bryant,
Fashion Bug or any jewelry store). I knew about Linen and Things.
Others really to surprise me - Ethan Allen in particular.

Now - if Bob's Discount Furniture was go belly up, I'd be happy. I hate his
ads and the people there were quite rude when we we looking for bookcases.

You might want to check Snopes on this. I got a similar, but not exactly
the same, email. I discovered it was partially true, and partially
false. It has been around most of the year in some form or other.

Gillian
Old November 20th 08, 10:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ericka

Jangchub wrote:
On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 21:58:24 GMT, Gillian Murray
wrote:

You might want to check Snopes on this. I got a similar, but not exactly
the same, email. I discovered it was partially true, and partially
false. It has been around most of the year in some form or other.

Gillian

I saw a spot on CNN and CNBC regarding gift cards. They recommend
buying the pre-paid Visa or Master cards. Nothing surprises me.

A lot of people are recommending no gift cards,
or gift cards like the Visa cards or mall cards that are
good in a variety of stores. There is no doubt that
current economic hardships will drive some companies out
of business and others to close some stores. Nevertheless,
the list of store closings in the email above was excessive.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old November 21st 08, 01:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Nov 19, 6:16*pm, Jangchub wrote:
On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 16:20:42 -0500, Cheryl Isaak

wrote:
Given the number of problems I had with my truck *- yes. Great article in
the WSJ about how the government shouldn't bail them out but force them into
bankruptcy. (I agree whole heartedly.) Foreclosure would make them dump the
unprofitable ways.

No argument there with me. *We hardly build cars here any *more
anyway. *They're built in Mexico and Canada, which isn't a bad thing,
but I think we need the jobs. *Well, more than think. *I hope they
don't bail them out. They've known for decades we were going to need
sustainable energy operated vehicles. *We've known this since we sat
on lines in the 70s when gas went from 25 cents a gallon to 75
cents...and we were freaking out back then! *Now gas is 1.89 here in
TX. and that is great. *Can you imagine, I'm happy it's only two
dollars a gallon. What a horrible last eight years.

actually, according to friends that work there, business on gift items and
jewelry are down. And people that would be 2-3 shirts are only getting one.

And there isn't a soul in the stores! *I went up to buy milk before
and it was a ghost town, shelves full to the top.

Eh.
Victoria

The GM plant in Oshawa, Ontario, announced it was closing a couple of
months back, and this was after the employees had taken all sorts of
cuts to help keep it open. A large portion of Canada's remaining
manufacturing jobs are in the auto industry, and the carmakers are
looking for a bailout here, too.

Louisa
Old November 21st 08, 11:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 11/20/08 6:28 PM, in article ,
"Jangchub" wrote:

wrote:

You might want to check Snopes on this. I got a similar, but not exactly
the same, email. I discovered it was partially true, and partially
false. It has been around most of the year in some form or other.

Gillian

I saw a spot on CNN and CNBC regarding gift cards. They recommend
buying the pre-paid Visa or Master cards. Nothing surprises me.

A lot of people are recommending no gift cards,
or gift cards like the Visa cards or mall cards that are
good in a variety of stores. There is no doubt that
current economic hardships will drive some companies out
of business and others to close some stores. Nevertheless,
the list of store closings in the email above was excessive.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Well, since the auto industry is just about bust, why would it
surprise anyone if Talbot's closes stores? Something else which chaps
my ass is that, the top officials of the major three car makers in the
US all flew to their hearings in separate private jets. Now that's
audacity. I wouldn't vote to give one red cent to the industry. Not
one red cent.
Victoria

Make sure your reps in Washington know that you and yours will not vote for
them again if they vote for this bail out. We did that with the first one
and will do it again.

Cheryl

Old November 21st 08, 08:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MargW

Lucille wrote:
[...]

Always check this sort of thing on Snopes (the Urban Legend website).
This is a mixture of fact, fiction and some outdated information.

Here's the link to the updated list

http://www.snopes.com/politics/busin...reclosings.asp

MargW
Old November 21st 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

MargW wrote:

Always check this sort of thing on Snopes (the Urban Legend website).
This is a mixture of fact, fiction and some outdated information.

Here's the link to the updated list

http://www.snopes.com/politics/busin...reclosings.asp

MargW

Nonetheless, it is a good warning to make sure the store where you're
buying gift cards isn't in the process of shutting down, regardless of
whether the attached list is 100% accurate.