Off topic - how hard can this be to make

Old November 18th 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default Off topic - how hard can this be to make

DS, the macho hockey player, wants one of these

https://www.freesnuggie.com/Default.aspx?MID=523519

How hard could it be to make... Any thoughts ladies

Old November 18th 08, 10:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Nov 18, 4:56*pm, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
DS, the macho hockey player, wants one of these

https://www.freesnuggie.com/Default.aspx?MID=523519

How hard could it be to make... Any thoughts ladies

I don't think it would be difficult, but given the cost of fleece per
metre, would it be cheaper to just buy one? I'm assuming that you'd
need two to three metres of fleece, which sells here for $12-$15 per
metre, last time I was looking. Just a thought...
Louisa
Old November 18th 08, 10:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lewmew

On Nov 18, 3:17*pm, wrote:
On Nov 18, 4:56*pm, Cheryl Isaak wrote:

DS, the macho hockey player, wants one of these

https://www.freesnuggie.com/Default.aspx?MID=523519

How hard could it be to make... Any thoughts ladies

I don't think it would be difficult, but given the cost of fleece per
metre, would it be cheaper to just buy one? I'm assuming that you'd
need two to three metres of fleece, which sells here for $12-$15 per
metre, last time I was looking. Just a thought...
Louisa

Around here, you can get it for about $4 a yard for solids - Joann's
this week. If she wanted to go fancy, she could get some hockey
themed for about $6 a yard - it's regularly 50% off.

Linda
Old November 18th 08, 10:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
DS, the macho hockey player, wants one of these

https://www.freesnuggie.com/Default.aspx?MID=523519

How hard could it be to make... Any thoughts ladies

This is easy -- easy Easy EASY! The major problem is that the fabric
used is probably pretty expensive since you will need a lot of it!
You need 4 pieces of fabric. Two pieces need to be a bit longer
than the persons shoulder to ground measurement and the width of the
persons measurement across the back plus whatever you think is necessary
for comfy ease of movement, seam allowances and hemming. The other two
pieces are for the "arms" and would need to be the length of the persons
arm plus seam, hem & ease of movement allowance and wide enough to
accommodate the persons arms plus the same stuff as the length.
Sew the large pieces together at the shoulder leaving a suitable
neck opening and finishing the opening appropriately. Sew one arm piece
to each side matching the center to the shoulder seam. Sew underarm
seam from the bottom of the arm to the bottom of the body. Finish arm
pieces appropriately. Sew velcro or snap tape, etc. to the bottom of
the garment leaving enough area open at both side seams for each foot.
If you use fleece, you don't need to finish the edges. Of course,
the kiddo will be fairly rough on this garment, I would think, so you
might want to hem the arms at the wrist -- maybe add a bit of elastic if
that's not too girly for him. The neck will have a bit of seam
allowance be turned inside to accommodate the shoulder seams and the
same can be done to the bottom where the velcro or whatever is sewn. If
you wanted to use snap tape instead of velcro, that would work and
likely be a bit more comfy -- not as stiff as velcro unless you use the
velcro buttons instead of a strip. If you wanted to go to the trouble,
you could do buttons & button holes but that's more work than I would
think necessary. CiaoMeow ^;;^

--
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Old November 18th 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Nov 18, 5:23*pm, lewmew wrote:
On Nov 18, 3:17*pm, wrote:

On Nov 18, 4:56*pm, Cheryl Isaak wrote:

DS, the macho hockey player, wants one of these

https://www.freesnuggie.com/Default.aspx?MID=523519

How hard could it be to make... Any thoughts ladies

I don't think it would be difficult, but given the cost of fleece per
metre, would it be cheaper to just buy one? I'm assuming that you'd
need two to three metres of fleece, which sells here for $12-$15 per
metre, last time I was looking. Just a thought...
Louisa

Around here, you can get it for about $4 a yard for solids - Joann's
this week. *If she wanted to go fancy, she could get some hockey
themed for about $6 a yard - it's regularly 50% off.

Linda

And where is this paradise of inexpensive fabric so I can stock up
next time we're south?

Louisa
Old November 18th 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"Tia Mary" wrote in message
Cheryl Isaak wrote:
[...]

^;;^

--
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary

I was going to say something similar to what Tia Mary said, but of course
she was clearer and more detailed then I could ever be. lol

I do think it might be so much easier, and less time consuming to just buy
them because you would need so much fabric and if you skimp it won't be
comfortable to lounge around in.

Old November 18th 08, 10:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lewmew

On Nov 18, 3:30*pm, wrote:
On Nov 18, 5:23*pm, lewmew wrote:

On Nov 18, 3:17*pm, wrote:

On Nov 18, 4:56*pm, Cheryl Isaak wrote:

DS, the macho hockey player, wants one of these

https://www.freesnuggie.com/Default.aspx?MID=523519

How hard could it be to make... Any thoughts ladies

I don't think it would be difficult, but given the cost of fleece per
metre, would it be cheaper to just buy one? I'm assuming that you'd
need two to three metres of fleece, which sells here for $12-$15 per
metre, last time I was looking. Just a thought...
Louisa

Around here, you can get it for about $4 a yard for solids - Joann's
this week. *If she wanted to go fancy, she could get some hockey
themed for about $6 a yard - it's regularly 50% off.

Linda

And where is this paradise of inexpensive fabric so I can stock up
next time we're south?

Louisa- Hide quoted text -

Wally World (Wal Mart) here in Missouri always has fleece under $5 a
yard and Joann's is the place I mentioned above - I was just there
over lunch and all the fleece was 40% or 50% off; most expensive is
$13/yd @ 40% = $8.40/yd - if you need 3 yds., still less than $28
($19.97 plus S&H), but most runs in the $6.99 to $10.99 "regularly
priced" range.
Old November 18th 08, 10:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

lzoltynospam@now says...

I do think it might be so much easier, and less time consuming to just buy
them

Cheryl could personalize the heck out of store bought one with team appliques

--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old November 18th 08, 11:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Nov 18, 4:23 pm, lewmew wrote:
On Nov 18, 3:17 pm, wrote:

On Nov 18, 4:56 pm, Cheryl Isaak wrote:

DS, the macho hockey player, wants one of these

https://www.freesnuggie.com/Default.aspx?MID=523519

How hard could it be to make... Any thoughts ladies

I don't think it would be difficult, but given the cost of fleece per
metre, would it be cheaper to just buy one? I'm assuming that you'd
need two to three metres of fleece, which sells here for $12-$15 per
metre, last time I was looking. Just a thought...
Louisa

Around here, you can get it for about $4 a yard for solids - Joann's
this week. If she wanted to go fancy, she could get some hockey
themed for about $6 a yard - it's regularly 50% off.

That's still $12 - $18 for the fleece and she wouldn't have put any
time into it yet. I agree with those who say it's better to just buy
one, unless you're looking for a better quality fleece than what
they're made with, in which case, cost isn't the issue.

Elizabeth
Old November 18th 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
bungadora

On Nov 18, 1:56*pm, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
DS, the macho hockey player, wants one of these

https://www.freesnuggie.com/Default.aspx?MID=523519

I think my x-BIL used to call them Couch Potato Jackets.