Toe up socks

Old August 17th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
JCT

Default Toe up socks

I noticed that the current Knitty has a toe-up sock formula. Has
anyone tried it? I have only made top down socks and was thinking
about trying this to get a better fit for DH. He loves his new socks
but I think I could improve on the fit.
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/...ersalsock.html

Old August 17th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

JCT wrote:
I noticed that the current Knitty has a toe-up sock formula. Has
anyone tried it? I have only made top down socks and was thinking
about trying this to get a better fit for DH. He loves his new socks
but I think I could improve on the fit.
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/...ersalsock.html

I have tried toe-up, not once, but three times, just so that I could say
that I had given it a fair chance. I don't like it. I'll stick to the tried
and true method I have been using for decades.

Higs,
Katherine (the dinosaur)

Old August 17th 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Aud

"JCT" skrev i melding
ps.com...
I noticed that the current Knitty has a toe-up sock formula. Has
anyone tried it? I have only made top down socks and was thinking
about trying this to get a better fit for DH. He loves his new socks
but I think I could improve on the fit.
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/...ersalsock.html

I saw the pattern too! And I NEEEED it, so I think I will start soon!

On my way home from holiday I bought two balls of Danish sock yarn,
and started a "normal" sock from the top.
But one ball was not enough to finish one sock,
so I frogged it (I cannot get the yarn here).
I think a toe up pattern would be perfect for me this time, and I liked
the pattern.
Knitting toe up, I will certainly finish the foot with one ball,
and then the leg will be "the big surprice"; long or short;
surely VERY short ;-)

Now my days are a bit back to normal, "back in business", and
the weather is not so tempting any more.
After the first two weeks at school, I'm sure I will have some spare
time.
Tell us if any of you knit these socks, and show us a picture! I will
try!

I hope to pop in here more often now,
I've been very occupied privat the last weeks :-)
DH is much better.
We have tried to be much out on the sea when the weather is nice.
It is still OK to take a bath, yesterday the sea temperature was
17C*/62,6F(to be exact ;-))
So we still hope for a bit more summer, even I'm not sure all of you
would consider this to be summer.
Take care all of you!
AUD ;-)

Old August 17th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
JCT

Aud wrote:
"JCT" skrev i melding
ps.com...

Old August 17th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
JCT

I am happy to hear that your DH is better. Mine has had two heart
attacks over the last fourteen years, bypasses and lots of meds but his
last check-up was very positive. He got good marks from his doctor for
sticking to his exercise, drugs and healthy diet.

I was surprised to hear that your sea temperature was so much higher
than ours. Puget Sound is between 52 and 54 degrees -- the Sound in
front of us is quite deep and doesn't change in temperature much.
Sometimes it will warm up a bit from the rocks in the shallow part
close to shore - but wetsuits are the norm for anyone who plans to get
in. Judy

Old August 17th 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
JCT

I stand corrected -- today the Puget Sound temp at the station south of
us is actually up to 55.2F.
We have had an unusually warm summer.

Old August 17th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Aud

"JCT" skrev i melding
ups.com...
I stand corrected -- today the Puget Sound temp at the station south of
us is actually up to 55.2F.
We have had an unusually warm summer.

The golf stream helps the water to keep the temperature here,
I think we "start" at higher temperature,
and when we have had a warm summer like this year,
it will last a little while.
But the sea temperature has decreased 1 grade per day, the last three
days!
Aud ;-)

Old August 17th 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Alison

On 17 Aug 2006 08:56:23 -0700, "JCT" wrote:

I noticed that the current Knitty has a toe-up sock formula. Has
anyone tried it? I have only made top down socks and was thinking
about trying this to get a better fit for DH. He loves his new socks
but I think I could improve on the fit.
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/...ersalsock.html

I am making toe-up socks using a similar pattern from Wendy Knits:
http://wendyjohnson.net/blog/sockpattern.htm

I like these because 1) I don't have to worry about running out of
wool before I get to the toe and 2) the toe has no seams at all, which
is very good for my feet. I do the cast on a little differently, I
cast onto a needle using waste yarn and a crochet hook, then knit into
these stitches with the sock yarn. There's a picture of a toe on my
blog:
http://brooklyncrafter.blogspot.com/ - August 5 post.

The formula looks like the one that I used in my sock class for
knitting top down, and I think it would be fine.

Alison
Old August 18th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Cats

Emerging from lurkdom . . . . . .

I knit toe up on circulars and love it. It is easier for me
to carry around when I don't risk losing needles.

I knit the shaped toes and heels in a very slightly heavier
yarn (usually in a plain colour) and then have plenty of
variegated/whatever feature yarn to make the feet and legs
any length I want. All my leftovers will be used to make
scrappy house slippers for me.

I like that there is a nice smooth end on the toes, and I
found it easier to follow the shaping for left and right
feet when increasing than when decreasing.

I am not familiar with the specific pattern you linked to as
I have "evolved" my own that fits perfectly (I don't use
"yarn rounds" when turning), but the general idea is similar
to what I use.
--
Cheryl

ps.com...
:

Old August 18th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

Good for you, Cheryl! Even though I don't like that method, I know many
people who swear by it.

Higs,
Katherine

Cats wrote:
Emerging from lurkdom . . . . . .

I knit toe up on circulars and love it. It is easier for me
to carry around when I don't risk losing needles.

I knit the shaped toes and heels in a very slightly heavier
yarn (usually in a plain colour) and then have plenty of
variegated/whatever feature yarn to make the feet and legs
any length I want. All my leftovers will be used to make
scrappy house slippers for me.

I like that there is a nice smooth end on the toes, and I
found it easier to follow the shaping for left and right
feet when increasing than when decreasing.

I am not familiar with the specific pattern you linked to as
I have "evolved" my own that fits perfectly (I don't use
"yarn rounds" when turning), but the general idea is similar
to what I use.

"JCT" wrote in message
ps.com...
I noticed that the current Knitty has a toe-up sock formula. Has
anyone tried it? I have only made top down socks and was thinking
about trying this to get a better fit for DH. He loves his new socks
but I think I could improve on the fit.
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/...ersalsock.html

Whats your choice of needles for socks SpikeDriver Yarn 82 July 14th 06 09:25 AM
Crochet Socks Eastern Edge Yarn 49 October 23rd 05 07:59 AM
FO: The Socks from Hell Nyssa Yarn 6 October 16th 05 12:57 AM
About socks Beinchat Yarn 14 June 1st 04 03:08 PM