OT - EXTREME CLOUDBURST ACTION!

Old May 18th 04, 01:07 AM
Kalera Stratton

Default OT - EXTREME CLOUDBURST ACTION!

OK, I am "home sick" today (I'm always home, but I took the day off
torching due to nasty lung congestion and general illness) and so a few
minutes ago I went to the neighborhood store for beer, raisins and
bananas (I wanted whisky to put in hot tea for the congestion, but my
local liquor store takes cash only and I don't feel like dealing with
it) and as I came out into the sunshine, I heard a boom of thunder.
Looking up I noticed that there was a large black cloud just to the north.

I came home and opened a delightful little box full of silver and
lampwork (from Nicole, and it's GORGEOUS stuff), and then just a moment
later I heard a sound like someone had opened a fire hydrant on the
street. I jumped up and looked outside... the sky had opened up and was
dumping water on the street in sheets! The drops were tablespoon-size,
at least!

The wierd thing, totally amusingly bizzarre, is that the rain STOPS AT
THE STREET. OK, not *quite* the street... it comes all the way up to my
front steps, and that's it. Sitting where I am, looking out the side and
the back windows all the way around the house, you can't tell it's
raining at all. Not a drop has fallen in the back yard. It's still
raining out front, though not as hard now. I've had this happen for just
a few minutes, until some portion of the cloud made its way over us, but
I've never had an entire thunderstorm go by in the front yard only!

I guess this means I'll still have to water the trees in back.
--
-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
Old May 18th 04, 01:20 AM
Dr. Sooz

That is just BIZARRO.

then just a moment
later I heard a sound like someone had opened a fire hydrant on the
street. I jumped up and looked outside... the sky had opened up and was
dumping water on the street in sheets! The drops were tablespoon-size,
at least!

The wierd thing, totally amusingly bizzarre, is that the rain STOPS AT
THE STREET. OK, not *quite* the street... it comes all the way up to my
front steps, and that's it. Sitting where I am, looking out the side and
the back windows all the way around the house, you can't tell it's
raining at all. Not a drop has fallen in the back yard.

~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old May 18th 04, 04:26 AM
starlia

I was always amazed growing up that our peanut patch (about 100 acres)
across the road from our house would get rain and we had sunshine. My
grandparents always laughed at me when it happened because I would watch
from the first raindrop until it stopped or moved on.

Old May 18th 04, 06:03 AM
Kalera Stratton

Yeah, it's the wierdest thing! It kept up for the rest of the day, too,
to the point where when Moxley came home the SUN was shining in the back
yard while it was raining in the front. ODD!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old May 18th 04, 06:04 AM
Kalera Stratton

I'd say that peanut patch must have had some powerful magic!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old May 18th 04, 07:21 AM
starlia

Yummy fresh peanuts too! I liked the watermelon and cataloes fields better
though. More wildlife out there.

Old May 18th 04, 03:11 PM
Margie

On Mon, 17 May 2004 17:07:18 -0700, Kalera Stratton
wrote:

I guess this means I'll still have to water the trees in back.

ROFL

I notice this phenomenon more in rural areas then here in the city.
I'm always amazed by it! What amazes me here in my city is when it
rains while the sun shines. I just lurve sun showers!

--
Margie
http://www.handcraftedjewelry.com/st...asp?userid=261

Old May 18th 04, 05:03 PM
Barbara Otterson

wrote:
I heard a sound like someone had opened a fire hydrant on the
street. I jumped up and looked outside... the sky had opened up and was
dumping water on the street in sheets! The drops were tablespoon-size,
at least!
The wierd thing, totally amusingly bizzarre, is that the rain STOPS AT
THE STREET. OK, not *quite* the street... it comes all the way up to my
front steps, and that's it. Sitting where I am, looking out the side and
the back windows all the way around the house, you can't tell it's
raining at all.

I remember the first time I saw something like this. I was
visiting my grandparents in Utah and it started raining. But
only on the other side of the street. The neighbors had
rivers running down their driveway. My grandparents
had to water their garden. Back there and then they called
the phenomena "the Devil beating his wife". (I don't know
why). It was fascinating to watch. I've seen thunderstorms
move across an area--that sheet of water coming toward you,
etc., but that was the first time I'd seen a prolonged rain in
one area while a few feet away remained totally dry.
Barbara
Dream Master
www.dreamweaverstudio.com

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your future
plans.
Woody Allen
Old May 18th 04, 06:53 PM
Kalera Stratton

Also, more watermelons and canataloupes. I am a total melon whore!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old May 18th 04, 06:54 PM
Kalera Stratton

Me too! We also had the MOST amazingly beautiful rainbow... My husband's
friends were calling each other to go outside and look at it. It was so
cool!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay