Need Help Please w/American Sampler

Old January 9th 04, 01:22 PM
Paula C. Hunter

Thank you very much!!! Excellent site for the Queen stitch!!!!

Paula

"Ellice" wrote in message
On 1/7/04 7:49 AM,"Paula C. Hunter" posted:

Does anyone know of a online sample or tutorial of the Queen Stitch?

Is there a stitch diagram with the chart? It's a lovely stitch, but if
you've never done it, you should definitely do some practice ones on a
doodle cloth.

This is a good diagram of Queen Stitchm from Johanna's Needle Stitch:
http://webstitch.designwest.com/stitch07.html#queen1

The website has a lot of good information and stitch diagrams - you may

want
to check it out.
http://webstitch.designwest.com/needle_stitch.html

This site also has many stich diagrams, but I didn't see Queen stitch.
http://www.needlepoint.org/Stitch.htm

Is it recommended I "graph" (not correct wording) my linen? Where would

one
start?

Grid the linen. As in baste a thread of easily seen sewing thread, usually
every 10 threads.

Have you stitched on linen before? It's up to you- if you're comfy

counting,
you might not bother. But, many experienced stitchers spend the time to

grid
and are happy in that it makes the stitching time finally go a bit faster.

If you just remember to start in the hole with a vertical thread on top to
the right, it makes it easy to count, and your stitch is best supported.
You'll always know that every stitch should be starting with that vertical
thread on the right side of the up-needle, and the vertical is crossing on
top of the horizontal.

Here is URL for picture of chart for sale on E-Bay. NOT AFFILATED with

this
sale or seller, just posting for the picture.

Paula, it's a lovely piece. Enjoy.

Ellice

Old January 10th 04, 01:59 AM
PaulaB

Ellice wrote in message ...
On 1/7/04 7:49 AM,"Paula C. Hunter" posted:

Does anyone know of a online sample or tutorial of the Queen Stitch?

Is there a stitch diagram with the chart? It's a lovely stitch, but if
you've never done it, you should definitely do some practice ones on a
doodle cloth.

(snipped for brevity) There are excellent diagrams with the sampler
chart. My experience and that of my students has been to work the
queen stitch symetrically - choose whether you prefer to work the
outer stitches first or the inner ones first. I prefer the outer
ones. So I work the outer left, then the inner left, then the outer
right, and last the inner right. If you go straight across from left
to right 1-2-3-4, then the stitch tends to have a non-symmetrical,
windblown look to it. Just try it in every possible configuration
(number or label them somehow so you remember which is which!) and
find the one you like best! I also prefer to start at the top of the
stitch, but starting at the bottom is also perfectly accceptable, *as
long as you are consistent.* Some prefer to pull the holes open at
the tops and bottoms and some prefer to leave it more of a diamond
shape (I prefer the holey look - if you look at old samplers, they
often pulled holes open with this stitch, especially when they're in
groups) - and again, either is correct, as long as it is consistent.
HTH! Don't be afraid of it - so many people are intimidated by this
stitch and it's just a needle with thread through the fabric, like
every other one! :-))) Paula B.
Old January 10th 04, 03:16 AM
Paula C. Hunter

I am going to do it! Got a piece of practice linen today! It's Queen
stitch or Bust!

Paula

"PaulaB" wrote in message
m...

Old January 10th 04, 10:01 PM
PaulaB

"Paula C. Hunter" wrote in message ...
I am going to do it! Got a piece of practice linen today! It's Queen
stitch or Bust!

Paula

Do let me know how it goes! (If you happen to have a flat-bed
scanner, you can send me pics!!! I've done that before!)
Fingers crossed but sure you'll be fine, Paula B.
Old January 11th 04, 06:06 AM
Ellice

On 1/9/04 8:59 PM,"PaulaB" posted:

Ellice wrote in message
[...]

Great description of the Queen Stitch. I think the first piece I stitched
with it actually had it done in the outers then inner legs order, as you
describe. The piece came out really well, and actually won a blue at the
Loudon show. Your suggestion to try the different methods is great - that's
why I think a doodle cloth for this stitch is a good thing - you can
practice, and see if one way looks more to your liking. I like the very
clean diamond look, haven't ever done it "holey" but now I'll try it.

Definitely it's not a stitch to be scared of, but I think that until you get
a rhythm going, and are comfortable as it can get kind of crowded that is
what intimidates people about using it. But, such a nice look.

Ellice

Old January 11th 04, 06:08 AM
Ellice

On 1/9/04 10:16 PM,"Paula C. Hunter" posted:

I am going to do it! Got a piece of practice linen today! It's Queen
stitch or Bust!

Good for you - I'm sure it'll look great!

Ellice
PS - personally, I find using little needles helps a bit (it may be in my
head) when it's getting crowded! I use 26 petites, instead of the normal 26s
or 28s if on some really fine count

Old January 11th 04, 01:52 PM
PaulaB

Great description of the Queen Stitch. I think the first piece I stitched
with it actually had it done in the outers then inner legs order, as you
describe. The piece came out really well, and actually won a blue at the
Loudon show. Your suggestion to try the different methods is great - that's
why I think a doodle cloth for this stitch is a good thing - you can
practice, and see if one way looks more to your liking. I like the very
clean diamond look, haven't ever done it "holey" but now I'll try it.

Definitely it's not a stitch to be scared of, but I think that until you get
a rhythm going, and are comfortable as it can get kind of crowded that is
what intimidates people about using it. But, such a nice look.

Ellice

The more I have clumped together, the easier it is for me if I do pull
them tight - it just gives me that much more room. At one show my
American Sampler missed being Best of Show by just a few points. One
of the judges told me that initially there were three pieces with the
same point total at the top of the heap and mine eventually came out
second. I learned queen stitches on this sampler and she could tell
exactly where I'd started and which way I'd progressed (started top
left in the border, down the left side, then across the top and down
the right side) and she could see my queen stitches improving as I
went! LOLOL! (But it won Viewer's Choice so that was lovely!) On
that sampler, they look crowded to me. If I were going to do it over
I'd definitely go for the holey look! :-)) Paula B.