Eva Rosenstand Kit - Color Descriptions - Help

Old March 11th 14, 11:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Leslie Frates

Default Eva Rosenstand Kit - Color Descriptions - Help

I need some expert advice and I'm hoping someone on this group can help me
out.

I am having a great deal of trouble with the floss color descriptions in an
old Eva Rosenstand Kit. It is Article #13-330, a bellpull with kittens.
The kit came from an estate sale and had never been opened or used, and must
have been purchased in or directly from Denmark because it has the original
green store bag and no color picture of the finished item. It contained the
linen, yellowed Danish/English/German instructions and chart, a very rusty
needle wrapped in a little paper packet with the Rosenstand spinning wheel
on it, a photocopied paper multilingual insert about washing instructions
and several bundles of floss, all apparently hand-tied. None of the bundles
was numbered and there are no number designations on the chart for the floss
colors. I know that there is an “old” Rosenstand number and a “new” number,
but this kit must be so old as to have been produced before they started
putting numbers on the charts to refer to the colors. Most of the colors
were easy to differentiate because the color descriptions were very obvious,
but the bundles were of little help to try to decipher what some colors are
being referred to because all the browns and grays were tied together.
There are such descriptions as DARKEST CHARCOAL GRAY, DARK CHARCOAL GRAY,
MEDIUM CHARCOAL GRAY, PALE CHARCOAL GRAY, DULL GRAY, DARK GRAY, PALE GRAY,
not to mention DARK BROWN, MEDIUM BROWN, DARK BEIGE BROWN, DARK BROWN BLACK,
BEIGE, DARK SANDY BEIGE, etc. Since there is no color picture, I am finding
it near impossible to differentiate the colors according to the
descriptions. I'm hoping against hope that someone out there in
Cyberstitchingland has done this bellpull and might have a list of the named
colors with their “old” numbers (or even the new equivalent numbers) and
their associated chart symbols for this particular kit. I would love to be
able to use the floss that was included, but if there is a DMC color list
for this kit, it would be most helpful because I of course want everything
to be right. I have stitched many Rosenstand kits over the years as they
are my very favorite to stitch because of the clarity of the charts, the
artistic designs, and the gorgeous color combinations and blends, but all
those kits have had numbers to help the stitcher sort the floss properly.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help you can provide!

Leslie Frates
Hayward, CA

Old March 11th 14, 11:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Leslie Frates

Hello--

I don't quite understand your query, but I want to use Usenet to see if
anyone can help me with this. I don't do Facebook, Twitter or any other
social media. If you have any suggestions as to how I can go about this in
a better method, I would be most appreciative.

Leslie

wrote in message ...

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 15:09:39 -0700, "Leslie Frates"
wrote:

[...]

Hi Leslie

Are you actually using usenet or are you really posting to inspire
point ? Just curious. Thanks

Old March 12th 14, 03:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C

Leslie Frates wrote:
There are such descriptions as DARKEST CHARCOAL
GRAY, DARK CHARCOAL GRAY, MEDIUM CHARCOAL GRAY, PALE CHARCOAL GRAY, DULL
GRAY, DARK GRAY, PALE GRAY, not to mention DARK BROWN, MEDIUM BROWN,
DARK BEIGE BROWN, DARK BROWN BLACK, BEIGE, DARK SANDY BEIGE, etc.

On a bright sunny day, take your separated colors outdoors where you can
easily see the minor color differences. That should help you place them
in dark-to-light color order.

Next, look at the chart. If you see half a dozen % but thousands of +,
you can assume that % is the one where you have only one strand, and +
is the one where you have miles of that color.

I find that the combination of those two techniques usually solves the
problem.

Of course, you could also go to your local shop or Embroiderers Guild
meeting and get a consensus on which shades are which.

--

Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader/Translator www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Finished 3/6/14 -- peacock from www.aflembroidery.com

WIP: Stitchers Days of Christmas
http://www.crossstitchjoy.com/catalo...oducts_id=3865
Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono (Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

www.CFSfacts.org -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf

COPYRIGHT 2014 -- PERMISSION GIVEN TO POST ON
USENET AND GOOGLE GROUPS NEWSREADER ONLY,
BUT IF FOUND ON TWITTER OR SEWGIRLS/INSPIREPOINT,
IT HAS BEEN REPUBLISHED WITHOUT MY PERMISSION
WHICH CONSTITUTES ILLEGAL COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT

Old March 12th 14, 10:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Leslie Frates

Thank you, Karen, for your reply to my query. I have already attempted to
do this...unfortunately, with but a few exceptions, each color has
approximately the same number of strands. (There are six different kittens
in the bellpull and each kitten is a different color, so the right color
family for each kitten is important.) This is what's making me go crazy.
If I had the Rosenstand numbers to match the color descriptions, I could at
least find a Rosenstand to DMC conversion chart and try to make heads or
tails of the colors.

Sure appreciate your taking the time to make the kind suggestion!

Leslie

Old March 12th 14, 10:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Shirley

On 12/03/2014 21:13, Leslie Frates wrote:
Thank you, Karen, for your reply to my query. I have already attempted
to do this...unfortunately, with but a few exceptions, each color has
approximately the same number of strands. (There are six different
kittens in the bellpull and each kitten is a different color, so the
right color family for each kitten is important.) This is what's making
me go crazy. If I had the Rosenstand numbers to match the color
descriptions, I could at least find a Rosenstand to DMC conversion chart
and try to make heads or tails of the colors.

Sure appreciate your taking the time to make the kind suggestion!

Leslie

Does this help
http://www.1stitch.com/eva/page/chart.html

Shirley

--
Shirley
www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old March 12th 14, 10:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Shirley

On 12/03/2014 21:26, Shirley wrote:
On 12/03/2014 21:13, Leslie Frates wrote:
Thank you, Karen, for your reply to my query. I have already attempted
to do this...unfortunately, with but a few exceptions, each color has
approximately the same number of strands. (There are six different
kittens in the bellpull and each kitten is a different color, so the
right color family for each kitten is important.) This is what's making
me go crazy. If I had the Rosenstand numbers to match the color
descriptions, I could at least find a Rosenstand to DMC conversion chart
and try to make heads or tails of the colors.

Sure appreciate your taking the time to make the kind suggestion!

Leslie

Does this help
http://www.1stitch.com/eva/page/chart.html

Shirley

Here is another chart
http://vestochka-sh.narod.ru/pages/er02.htm

--
Shirley
www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old March 13th 14, 12:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

On 3/12/2014 5:41 PM, Shirley wrote:
[...]

I wish I could help, but I have never worked one of her designs,

Sorry, but I do check daily here and also on FB.
Gillian
Old March 14th 14, 02:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Leslie Frates

Shirley--

These will definitely help. Thank you so very much!!!

Leslie

Old April 3rd 14, 05:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Wednesday, March 12, 2014 12:09:39 AM UTC+2, Leslie Frates wrote:

I would advise you to Contact the factory in Denmark, and see if they can help you ? mirjam

Rosenstand kit Amber Needlework 4 November 22nd 05 02:05 AM
Ot more fiberart descriptions by me . Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 3 October 18th 05 04:25 AM
Ad - New Desert Dreamer Auctions COLOR COLOR COLOR Karen_AZ Beads 7 November 30th 04 05:00 PM
Eva Rosenstand Sharon Capps Needlework 0 January 30th 04 12:34 AM
Eva Rosenstand request Sharon Capps Needlework 1 January 29th 04 04:03 PM