Quilted curtains?

Old October 3rd 11, 02:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Janner

Default Quilted curtains?

Anyone ever made quilted curtains?

Have been thinking for a long time about doing this, and having recently
priced up curtains for our bedroom, have decided that it would be
cheaper and more satisfying to use up some of my stash.

I was thinking of piecing the top, probably sampler quilt style, as I
can't decide on one pattern!

Will they need wadding, or would that make them too heavy?
I do have a roll of cotton wadding, but as to finding any other types,
it is quite difficult to source here.

Backing, I was thinking calico (muslin?).

Quilting, this time for strength I was thinking machine quilting, even
if there are only 2 levels.

For hanging from the curtain pole, I was thinking that I would buy
curtain rings with clips on, to clip to the curtain. They don't have
what I call normal curtain tracks here, like the UK, with the plastic
hooks!!

Does this sound right?

Janner
France
Old October 3rd 11, 02:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

I think you will find that you want some kind of lining as well as
backing, Janner. Otherwise the seams will show through and you will
probably not see the pattern! just the black seams. You don't need to
line with batting, though, just some sturdy fabric (white or cream for
preference). I have just lined some hospital blankets with flannelette
sheeting - it worked very well indeed and was much easier to handle than
batting.

I am planning to do the same thing as you for an internal kitchen
window, on my table as we speak funnily enough!.
..
In message , Janner
writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old October 3rd 11, 03:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Janner

Thanks, have been here thinking.

One of the things that I was worried about, was the extra weight of the
batting and the curtains stretching. Have measured the windows and each
curtain will be 3' wide by 5'deep. Presumably if they are well quilted,
then bagging and sagging shouldn't be an issue, well at least not with
the curtains ;p)

I have looked at my wadding and it isn't bulky, so I think that I will
go for it!! Need 4 separate curtains, so am going to make 4 different
but co-ordinating curtains and have a play with different techniques. It
seems forever since I had a good excuse to sit and play with my fabrics.
Now the kitchen is in, I have a table, with wonderful overhead
lighting, to play on. Yay, it has been 2 1/2 yrs in the planning.....

Good luck with your curtains as well.

Janner
France

On 03/10/2011 15:48, Pat S wrote:
I think you will find that you want some kind of lining as well as
backing, Janner. Otherwise the seams will show through and you will
probably not see the pattern! just the black seams. You don't need to
line with batting, though, just some sturdy fabric (white or cream for
preference). I have just lined some hospital blankets with flannelette
sheeting - it worked very well indeed and was much easier to handle than
batting.

I am planning to do the same thing as you for an internal kitchen
window, on my table as we speak funnily enough!.
.
In message , Janner
writes

Old October 3rd 11, 08:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Howdy!

Might try putting a hanging sleeve on the back, something rather simple;
this will distribute the weight more evenly, not letting any little clips
claw holes in the fabric.
http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/techni...-sleeve_1.html

Using cotton fabric from my stash, long panels for the living room windows,
I just hemmed the top w/ enough space to slip in a curtain rod,
w/ a header like this:
http://sewing.about.com/od/curtainsa...tainpanels.htm

All this discussion of drapes & window-treatments reminds me that most
windows are "over-dressed"; can't see the window for the covers.

Good luck!

R/Sandy - surrounded by fabric ;-

Old October 3rd 11, 08:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Janner

Been talking to DM, and she suggested curtain tape, then buy little
hooks that clip to the curtain rings. Seems to be the way curtains are
hung here! So will go that route.

Have had a lovely afternoon looking through books looking for ideas,
suppose really I should start making them before winter arrives!
Although at the moment we are having an Indian Summer up to the 30s by
day but down to 9 overnight.

Thanks for the help,

Janner
France

Old October 3rd 11, 10:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

On Oct 3, 9:21*am, Janner
wrote:
[...]

I've done roman shades for our bedroom and DR with cotton batting with
no issues. I usually use a light colored lining but have had issues
with seams showing. In fact I've done drapery-style coverings for
just about every window in our home. Some have seams in the lining;
some not. And I always do a light colored (either white or beige)
lining with no issues.

Go for it!
Kim in NJ
currently ballooning at Fiesta in Albuquerque and lookiing forward to
visiting the many LQS's that seem to be here!
Old October 4th 11, 12:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
- dlm.

On Oct 3, 9:21*am, Janner
wrote:
Anyone ever made quilted curtains?

Janner - Whilst I haven't made "quilted" curtains per se, I have used
a thin flannel lining known in the States as "Interlining." The
interlining is sandwiched between the main drapery fabric and the
cotton drapery lining. It provides both body and insulation to your
window treatment.

I love your idea of quilting your curtains! I wish you much success.

-dlm. in central MA
Old October 4th 11, 10:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Janner

I am hoping that because we have shutters for when it is sunny, that my
seams wont show, because if it is that bright, they are shut!!

Most French houses don't have curtains and shutters, usually just
shutters, but in winter it is cold here and in order to insulate the
house, we thought that we would put up thick curtains, because it is a
lot cheaper than buying new double glazed windows!! Our windows here
are wooden, a bit twisted although only the same age as the house, about
45 years old, the weather with the heat of summer and the cold of winter
has not been kind to them....but they have character )

Mt French friends see curtains as a fashion accessory, not for keeping
the house warm, so they have voile curtains to look pretty! Hey, I
might even start a new trend. Also, I would imagine that in the heat of
summer with the shutters closed and the curtains closed, that it should
stay cooler indoors...

Thanks again,

Janner
France

It's curtains for me. John Quilting 1 November 24th 10 12:06 AM
New kitchen curtains! Megan Zurawicz[_3_] Quilting 8 June 10th 10 08:55 PM
LOOKING FOR CURTAINS CAN U HELP???? [email protected] Sewing 1 December 8th 06 10:44 AM
The curtains elspeth Quilting 0 November 15th 05 11:57 PM
Spotlight Curtains Ready Made, Worst Ready Made Curtains in the World Bad Spotlight Sewing 3 June 10th 05 10:55 AM