Just because they are hard to find

Old August 13th 10, 09:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default Just because they are hard to find

A lot of times anyway...

I was tooling around shopgoodwill doing one of periodic look arounds for
the mantle clock I want and generally browsing, and ran across these:

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...Accessories-w-
Case-6586058.html

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...Accessories-w-
Case-6585623.html

If you are unfamiliar with the site, they also generally have a few
sewing machines. I noticed several nice antiques, including a
featherweight, as well as a small modern Janome of some sort.
I have five nice machines, so I was stoic and only took a few moments to
voon over how lovely one of the older Singers is.

Just an FYI 'cause I saw the cams in the one lot and know how hard it is
to find those.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old August 13th 10, 11:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jo Gibson[_2_]

On 13/08/2010 21:35, NightMist wrote:

A lot of times anyway...

I was tooling around shopgoodwill doing one of periodic look arounds for
the mantle clock I want and generally browsing, and ran across these:

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...Accessories-w-
Case-6586058.html

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...Accessories-w-
Case-6585623.html

If you are unfamiliar with the site, they also generally have a few
sewing machines. I noticed several nice antiques, including a
featherweight, as well as a small modern Janome of some sort.
I have five nice machines, so I was stoic and only took a few moments to
voon over how lovely one of the older Singers is.

Just an FYI 'cause I saw the cams in the one lot and know how hard it is
to find those.

NightMist

What are these "cams" and what do they do?

-- Jo in Scotland
Old August 14th 10, 02:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 23:20:00 +0100, Jo Gibson wrote:

On 13/08/2010 21:35, NightMist wrote:

A lot of times anyway...

I was tooling around shopgoodwill doing one of periodic look arounds
for the mantle clock I want and generally browsing, and ran across
these:

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...Accessories-w-
Case-6586058.html

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...Accessories-w-
Case-6585623.html

(snip)

What are these "cams" and what do they do?

Some machines (several 1970's Singer models in particular) do fancy
stitches but require you to drop a cam into the machine so it knows how.
Those are the sort of disk things in the picture for the first lot. If
you do not have the cams you cannot do the stitches. Seldom do used
models come with a full set of cams, often they come with none at all.

IME the things do not work very well, but then the only ones of those
models I have ever had a shot at were my mom's and my old high school's.
You certainly could not expect either of those to be in proper working
order!

NightMist
--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old August 14th 10, 02:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I have had ok luck with the cams. Fun to use some of the fancy ones with
special threads to edge sheet sets with. They are around if you start
looking but the ones found never seem to be the right ones for the machine
at the moment. Kind of the nature of things. I had a kenmore with the
monogrammer years ago. That worked really well for what it was. Kind of
silly stuff but fun.
Taria

Old August 14th 10, 03:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

On Aug 13, 4:35*pm, NightMist wrote:
[...]

I love shopgoodwill.com. I search most days. Currently I'm looking
at a serger they have. Lost the ones they had last week as I had to
be elsewhere when the sale was ending. I'll only bid just before the
sale ends so as to not up the prices...same w/ebay...but I'm not a
frequenter of that site...way too much stuff to wade through. Plus
I'd rather see my $$ go to an reputable, charitable organization
versus a private individual if I'm paying for shipping as well. If
only I could find what I want locally!

Kim in NJ
Old August 16th 10, 03:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nancy2

On Aug 13, 8:22*pm, NightMist wrote:
[...]

I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. *What's your superpower?- Hide quoted text -

I have a 1977 model Kenmore (Sears) with cams - I have all the cams -
they worked very well for me, when I was making decorative
embroideries around collars and cuffs, etc. I haven't used them for
decades, though.

N.
Old August 21st 10, 06:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

On 8/13/2010 8:22 PM, NightMist wrote:
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 23:20:00 +0100, Jo Gibson wrote:

What are these "cams" and what do they do?

Some machines (several 1970's Singer models in particular) do fancy
stitches but require you to drop a cam into the machine so it knows how.
Those are the sort of disk things in the picture for the first lot. If
you do not have the cams you cannot do the stitches. Seldom do used
models come with a full set of cams, often they come with none at all.

IME the things do not work very well, but then the only ones of those
models I have ever had a shot at were my mom's and my old high school's.
You certainly could not expect either of those to be in proper working
order!

My old Elna has a few built-in stitches and also has cams for more
stitches. You can get various effects from the cams by combining them
with the built-ins. I thought they worked well. One thing I liked about
the cams was that I could add stitches by buying new cams. I think the
machine came with about a half-dozen cams. Elna came out with a stretch
stitch cam after I had my machine; I added that one and I think another
one or two decorative ones.

Julia in MN

--
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html

hard to find technique njk Needlework 0 June 14th 10 01:06 AM
Hard to Find Craft Supplies tvegas General Crafting 0 January 19th 07 09:55 PM
Hard to find embroidery designs Annie Needlework 17 May 13th 05 05:10 PM
Hard to find embroidery designs Annie Needlework 0 May 13th 05 02:41 AM
Hard to find Disney Kits! imunlisted Marketplace 0 September 15th 04 12:42 AM