Sewing machine suggestion

Old August 20th 10, 02:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trixie[_2_]

Default Sewing machine suggestion

My sister just started sewing her first quilt and her Singer machine broke!
She would like a good, basic sewing machine to replace it. She does not need
fancy stitches or fancy anything else. What do you suggest? Thank you in
advance.

Trixie

Old August 20th 10, 03:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate in MI

I would suggest that she visit some of the local sewing machine/quilt shops
and see what they have available in trade ins.

One that is a little fancy -- is the Janome 6600 -- I don't have it but
everybody (and I mean EVERYBODY) that I know that does swears by it for
quilting. I have an older Pfaff 2030 that is a real workhorse that is
wonderful.

Most important is that there are a few features she wants to be sure she
has.... I'll start the list and others will add to it, I'm certain.

Features that are "must-haves":

Needle Down position
Reverse option
Largest Harp (I think that is what it is called -- the opening in the middle
of the machine - if she plans to actually machine quilt her projects --
every little bit here is really helpful!)
A 1/4" foot available
A walking foot (some machines have it built in -- others it is a separate
foot).

Okay -- I'll let others add to the list. And they'll probably add some
other things to watch for, too.

My only other suggestion is for her to go into the shop, sit down at any
machine and sew on it for a bit. See if it is somewhat "intuitive" for her?
is it quiet enough? does she like the stitch it sews?

I hope she finds one she really loves!

--
Kate in MI

Old August 20th 10, 04:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I suggest a higher quality basic mechanical for a starter. That said with
the 7700 Janome coming out the 6600's should be at low prices. The 6500
should be at really give away prices too at this point. If I had started
sewing on a 6600 I would be posting on a stained glass or cooking group
instead of quilting. It is just not as user friendly as a mechanical imo.
Actually FW's and 301's are excellant easy starter machines that work well
for classes later if she moves up to a more specialty machine. There are a
zillion beautiful quilts pieced on those. Good luck to sis with her new
endeavor.
Taria

Old August 20th 10, 06:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

I agree with what Kate said, especially about trying out the machine.

When our counseling secretary asked me, Viking or Bernina, I told her I like
Viking, but she needed to try both out to see what SHE liked. I also told
her, take her own material, quilt sandwich, etc., that she typically sewed
on. Of course the store would supply what their machine sewed on best to
try to impress her and make a sale.

Tell them to go away for 10-15 minutes so she can just sew, try to fiigure
things out herself to see what machien is intutive for her.

Steven
Alaska

Old August 20th 10, 01:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

A newer Singer I presume? she might want to get a really ooooold
Singer, pre-1960-ish. Nothing fancy, but as near immortal as any
object can be. I have 2, at least as old as I am (definitely
pre-1960), and both work beautifully and make perfect stitches.
Roberta in D

Old August 21st 10, 12:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 18:55:17 -0700, "Trixie" wrote:

My sister just started sewing her first quilt and her Singer machine broke!
She would like a good, basic sewing machine to replace it. She does not need
fancy stitches or fancy anything else. What do you suggest? Thank you in
advance.

Trixie

Trixie, here's a good FAQ to ponde, "What Sewing Machine Should I
buy?"

http://www.a1sewingmachine.com/smfaq.html

-Irene
Old August 21st 10, 02:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trixie[_2_]

Thanks everyone for the wonderful suggestions!

Trixie

"IMS" wrote in message ...
On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 18:55:17 -0700, "Trixie" wrote:

My sister just started sewing her first quilt and her Singer machine
broke!
She would like a good, basic sewing machine to replace it. She does not
need
fancy stitches or fancy anything else. What do you suggest? Thank you in
advance.

Trixie

Trixie, here's a good FAQ to ponde, "What Sewing Machine Should I
buy?"

http://www.a1sewingmachine.com/smfaq.html

-Irene

What sewing machine do you wish for? Maureen Wozniak Quilting 25 February 13th 08 04:28 PM
Old sewing machine question .. EMDEKO machine NE Sailboat Sewing 1 January 18th 07 06:39 PM
Is ths a good deal? Grace Quilting Sewing Frame +Janome 1600 Sewing Machine bobbi Quilting 12 December 8th 06 09:18 PM
Compact sewing machine suggestion Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply Quilting 96 February 8th 05 01:47 PM
Compact sewing machine suggestion Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply Sewing 85 February 8th 05 01:47 PM