OT -- very early morning activites

Old November 22nd 08, 10:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

Default OT -- very early morning activites

For no apparent reason, my eyes popped open at 3:30 a.m. When they refused to
stay shut, I got out off bed, made coffee, and wasn't surprised to find that
the newspaper hadn't been delivered yet. Read email, newsgroups, played
solitaire and trivia ... paper had arrived by then so read it and did
crossword. TV has a lot of infomercials. It's not even 6 a.m. and as soon as I
hit 'send,' I'll pick up a needle.

What do you do when you can't sleep?

--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old November 22nd 08, 11:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
F.James Cripwell

anne ) writes:
(snip)
What do you do when you can't sleep?

--
another anne, add ingers to reply

When I cannot sleep, I know by resting in bed, I am resting my body.
Luckily, here in Canada, on radio, from 1 am to 5.30 am the CBC re-broadcasts
news in English from all over the world. I put on the radio, and listen,
and not infrequently, just go to sleep again. If I dont go to sleep, I
often hear things that are quite interesting, and one just does not hear in
normal news broadcasts.

Old November 22nd 08, 12:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"anne" wrote in message
g...
For no apparent reason, my eyes popped open at 3:30 a.m. When they refused
stay shut, I got out off bed, made coffee, and wasn't surprised to find
that
the newspaper hadn't been delivered yet. Read email, newsgroups, played
solitaire and trivia ... paper had arrived by then so read it and did
crossword. TV has a lot of infomercials. It's not even 6 a.m. and as soon
as I
hit 'send,' I'll pick up a needle.

What do you do when you can't sleep?

All of the above, plus watch Fox News to get their distorted (strictly my
opinion, so no flames please) views of the world. lol

Lucille

Old November 22nd 08, 02:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 07:24:10 -0500, "Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at
comcast..net wrote:

"anne" wrote in message
. org...
For no apparent reason, my eyes popped open at 3:30 a.m. When they
refused
stay shut, I got out off bed, made coffee, and wasn't surprised to find
that
the newspaper hadn't been delivered yet. Read email, newsgroups, played
solitaire and trivia ... paper had arrived by then so read it and did
crossword. TV has a lot of infomercials. It's not even 6 a.m. and as
soon
as I
hit 'send,' I'll pick up a needle.

What do you do when you can't sleep?

All of the above, plus watch Fox News to get their distorted (strictly my
opinion, so no flames please) views of the world. lol

Lucille
--

Yeah, but doesn't that just aggravate you further?
Victoria

Sure, but I'm up anyway so I might as well be a little more alert.

Old November 22nd 08, 03:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Trish Brown

anne wrote:
For no apparent reason, my eyes popped open at 3:30 a.m. When they refused to
stay shut, I got out off bed, made coffee, and wasn't surprised to find that
the newspaper hadn't been delivered yet. Read email, newsgroups, played
solitaire and trivia ... paper had arrived by then so read it and did
crossword. TV has a lot of infomercials. It's not even 6 a.m. and as soon as I
hit 'send,' I'll pick up a needle.

What do you do when you can't sleep?

Sit here (at the computer) and alternately play civilisation games and
online sudoku.

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old November 22nd 08, 06:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Liz from Humbug

On Nov 22, 2:54*am, anne wrote:
For no apparent reason, my eyes popped open at 3:30 a.m. When they refused to
stay shut, I got out off bed, made coffee, and wasn't surprised to find that
the newspaper hadn't been delivered yet. Read email, newsgroups, played
solitaire and trivia ... paper had arrived by then so read it and did
crossword. TV has a lot of infomercials. It's not even 6 a.m. and as soon as I
hit 'send,' I'll pick up a needle.

What do you do when you can't sleep?

--
another anne, add ingers to reply

I usually get up and read in the living room. I love to read in bed
but with DH working swing shift and not sleeping well, it's less
distracting for him if I'm in the other room. I sometimes stitch but,
chances are, if I can't sleep or wake up too early it's because I'm
worried - probably about bills - and stitching gives my mind too much
time to think and worry, while reading takes my brain off to another
place & time and is actually more restful. If there is a good old
movie on Turner Classic Movies, I can get away with stitching while
watching the movie. I'm one of those fortunate people who can enjoy a
favorite book or movie over and over again. :-)
Liz from Humbug
Old November 22nd 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman

lucretia borgia wrote:
On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 05:54:41 -0500, anne opined:

For no apparent reason, my eyes popped open at 3:30 a.m. When they refused to
stay shut, I got out off bed, made coffee, and wasn't surprised to find that
the newspaper hadn't been delivered yet. Read email, newsgroups, played
solitaire and trivia ... paper had arrived by then so read it and did
crossword. TV has a lot of infomercials. It's not even 6 a.m. and as soon as I
hit 'send,' I'll pick up a needle.

What do you do when you can't sleep?

I podcast radio programmes from all over the world and download them
to my mp3 then when I can't sleep, I listen to all sorts of wonderful
items. So time that was formerly rather wasted is now employed
gainfully learning the views on the world of other countries.

Here's a sampling

http://www.abc.net.au/services/podcasting/

http://www.onthemedia.org/

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/0,2142,9541,00.html

http://www.cbc.ca/podcasting/index.html

http://www.radionetherlands.nl/listeningguide/podcasts

http://www.sr.se/rs/english/

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/podcasts/medmatters/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/pr...l_planet.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/podcasts/...tation/radio4/

Great list...I'd add to it "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me"

http://www.npr.org/programs/waitwait/

and "Sound and Spirit.

http://www.wgbh.org/pages/pri/spirit/

Those are two of my favorite downloads.