Dress Help

Old June 5th 08, 03:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
[email protected]

Default Dress Help

With the help of my teacher, I'm trying to make a strapless dress, and
I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me advice about how to
include a built in bra/corset. It's already going to have the corset
back, but I need help with putting a little extra support in the front.
Old June 5th 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kay Lancaster

With the help of my teacher, I'm trying to make a strapless dress, and
I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me advice about how to
include a built in bra/corset. It's already going to have the corset
back, but I need help with putting a little extra support in the front.

If you can find a copy of Threads magazine from
http://www.taunton.com/back-issues/th_toc_046.asp
April/May 1993, Kenneth King has a very good article in it. He also
has a video called "Birth of a Bustier" that is undoubtedly excellent...
I haven't seen it, but everything I've read that he's done has been
fascinating and thorough.

Other possibilities include Susan Khalje's book Bridal Couture and (iirc)
Roberta Carr's book on couture sewing, and Claire Shaeffer's couture book.

One of the bigger issues may be getting proper boning.
http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/t00165.asp

Kay

Old July 9th 08, 01:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
gjones2938

Dear Noval,

Methinks you're putting the cart before the horse. One doesn't begin
with a dress pattern, then go back and try to put support in it. I
taught design for years, and students were never allowed to cut into
their good fabric until they had worked out all the bugs in a toile.

If you're taking courses in fashion design, you should have dress
forms in the studio. Find one similar in shape to you (or your
model). Put a bra on it and stuff it, if necessary, to give it the
desired shape. Then build a support garment right on the form with
net, including boning where required. The boning can go on the
outside of the net, because this will be the interlining, with your
fashion fabric on the outside, and the lining on the inside. Wherever
the dress is going to open, the support needs to open in the same
place, so allow for seams.

If you're a beginner and this is beyond your capabilities, purchase a
foundation that can be attached to the dress. Put it on the dress
form, and build the dress over it. The facings of the dress may be
turned and sewn over the foundation to hold it in place.

Teri

dress zippers Taria Sewing 8 July 13th 05 08:29 AM
Sun Dress Bell Jar Yarn 11 May 20th 05 10:10 PM
The beaded dress is done" Kate Dicey Quilting 3 August 31st 04 09:10 AM
Bridesmaid's Dress Lisa Beads 11 August 11th 03 06:47 PM