BFNR!! and an event report, and a question

Old May 18th 04, 06:00 PM
Lee S. Billings

Default BFNR!! and an event report, and a question

Well, there's bad news, good news, and interesting news.

First the bad news. The Canyon show was a horrible event. Worst one I've ever
had; worst one Russ has had since before I moved here. Our total gross sales
for the weekend were less than $200. We didn't even make our booth cost, let
alone begin to cover travel costs. My sales for the weekend were one pair of
earrings and one fabric pouch, for a total of $19.

It wasn't the promoters' fault. They had done their jobs; it was just that
people stayed away in droves. Customers came thru desultorily at the rate of
some 10 or 12 an hour. A few people were getting decent sales, mostly those
with food items or "country crafts" stuff. And yes, there was a fair amount of
Blue Goose stuff, and yes, there were a couple of people selling cheap imported
jewelry (but they weren't doing any better than I was).

Speculation was to the effect that "people from here will support events in
Amarillo, but people from Amarillo won't support events here," which makes some
sense. Also, the date of this event was originally supposed to be a month ago
but they were moved by the facility -- and there's another event, by the same
promoter, in Amarillo in two weeks. (Amarillo is about a 20-minute drive from
Canyon.) The promoter said that this was the second event to bomb in Canyon,
and they wouldn't be trying for a third one. This actually raised my respect
for them considerably; they don't believe in flogging dead horses.

In fact, based on recommendations from 3 or 4 of the other vendors who
regularly work this promoter's events, we actually signed up for the one in
Amarillo. This is going to throw me into "panic production" mode for the next
week or so! But we're told that it's a very good show, which has been going for
a while and gets a good crowd and lots of people looking to buy things.

The interesting news is that we were both approached, at the show, by someone
who recently opened a crafts / antiques shop in Amarillo and was trying to
recruit exhibitors. Russ placed a bumper sticker rack with him -- actually, it
was the one we had up at the show, we just transported it loaded and set it up
in its new home. (This means we get to break in a new rack, one which doesn't
tangle like mating octopi as you try to get it out of the box -- yay!) And I'm
thinking seriously about putting some jewelry in there on consignment. But I
have two weeks to think about it, since I certainly won't part with anything
until after the Amarillo show. He doesn't have much in the way of jewelry yet,
and mine (frankly) would be of higher quality than what's in his shop now. So
it could be a win-win.

Now the good news. When we checked the post boxes on the way home, I had a
package that looked beady. I couldn't imagine what it was; as far as I knew I
was all caught up on auction merchandise, and those would have been coming to
the house anyhow. So I opened it... and it was a BFNR, my very first ever! It's
a nice lampwork bead from Lori Greenberg, at the behest of Margie according to
the accompanying letter. Thank you so much, guys! I really needed something
like that after the weekend we had.

Last but not least, the question. For those of you who have done consignment
sales in the past or present, what's the standard commission rate? This guy in
Amarillo wants 25%, which I think is a little high; he indicated that he'd be
willing to come down to 20% if I could demonstrate that to be a more realistic
rate. E-mail copies of replies to this would be appreciated, so that I can
print them out for him to look at. I already have a copy of a standard
consignment contract (courtesy of someone here a year ago, I can't recall who),
but it leaves the rate as a blank to be negotiated between the artist and the
shop owner.

Celine

--
Handmade jewelry at http://www.rubylane.com/shops/starcat
"Only the powers of evil claim that doing good is boring."

Old May 18th 04, 07:17 PM
Georgia

25% is not high for consignment; but read all the small print. In fact, it
would be a good idea to check out articles in back issues of The Crafts
Report on this subject, and write your own consignment contract. Among the
issues to consider: can you take your work out whenever you want? How often
will you get a statement of activity and be paid? Are you protected if your
work gets "lost"?

Good luck!

Georgia

. net...

Old May 18th 04, 10:09 PM
Armand Vine

25% sounds pretty good to me. The local museum here wants 60% and 40% seems
to be typical at the places I have asked.

Old May 18th 04, 11:02 PM
Marisa2

Celine,

It all sounds like pretty good news to me!

I know how annoying and depressing it is to stand all day at a fair and
sell virtually nothing. However, you got two good leads out of it, one
of which which actually sounds pretty firm.
Don't kill yourself making new things for the other show... remember, no
matter how big it sounds you still may not sell a huge ammount. I think
the way your work is displayed is more important then how much of it
there is. (At least, that is my current guess... I've never done really
very well at a craft fair).

I had my items at consignment for 25%. I/the shop did raise the prices
a little bit above what I typically have been putting on for craft fairs
(however I've been told that my prices are too low by people in r.c.b.).

Good luck!

marisa2