Thanks, and need opinions

Old September 15th 05, 03:59 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Roberta Zollner" wrote:

First the thanks: To Melissa for the monthly appliqué session! (I like the
pieced blocks too, but haven't found them too challenging yet!) Appliqué was
never my thing, but the discipline of doing some every month has improved my
skills quite a bit. To the extent that I Voluntarily added appliqué to the
corners of the latest floor mosaic (looks quite like the original floor).
Thanks Melissa -I plan to add your name to the eventual label as
inspiration!

Now the question. I've added 3 photos to the Mosaic Floors album (and
devoutly hope this link will take you there). They should be the last 3.
Tell me which border you like better, the plain dark blue or the printed
border stripe.

http://cards.webshots.com/invite/pic...51241728OelHwe

Roberta in D

I vote for the blue. The print is lovely, so it's sad not to choose it,
but it seems sort of lost against the center of the quilt. I think the
colors aren't strong enough for the quilt. The blue, OTOH, emphasizes
the center and is strong enough to contain it.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old September 15th 05, 04:07 PM
Donna

Gosh, Roberta, your work is spectacular!!!
I like the dark blue border!

--
Donna in NE La.

Old September 15th 05, 05:09 PM
KJ

Yup of the two, it must be the blue. I'm going to duck and run.....but that
wonderful center might need a bit of a pieced inner border somewhere, then
emcompassed by the blue. But what to put in is more than I could design.
I know you're ready to be done with it and would like to put on the border
and be finished. I think that's why you considered the busier fabric....you
know it needs just a "bit" more in the border than the solid fabric.
It's a fabulous piece, don't bail out too soon. It's a masterpiece. I'm
envious.

--
Kathyl who made a fabric postcard today to send as a birthday card. I'm
delaying my trip to the post office to mail it. I wish I knew if there have

Here's to the RCTQ women!

remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old September 15th 05, 05:47 PM
Roberta Zollner

When you're right, you're right. I have just about convinced myself to make
a pieced border :-p
Roberta in D

Old September 15th 05, 08:59 PM
Kathryn Walker

I think the blue makes that lovely quilt stand out more.

Kathryn in Mi

Old September 15th 05, 11:20 PM
Cheryl

The block is spectacular. I agree - the dark blue, with maybe a very simple
inner pieced border to pick out some of the other shades. I can't wait to
see it finished!

I fell in love with the same border pattern in a different colourway. But I
used it for an applique panel for a class I was teaching. The panel was
finished by a friend who loved the colours. She is not a quilter and this
was her first foray into sewing. She is more of an embroiderer. It's in
Bits'n'Pieces on webshots.

--
Cheryl ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^
Enness Boofhead Donut

Old September 15th 05, 11:26 PM
Paul & Suzie Beckwith

The blue - definately!

http://cards.webshots.com/invite/pic...51241728OelHwe

Roberta in D

Suzie B
--
"From the internet connection under the pier"
Southend, UK

Old September 16th 05, 03:22 PM
Roberta Zollner

You all have convinced me to use the blue, and I've started cutting a very
símple pieced border!
Roberta in D

"Mini One" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I hate to agree to anything that causes more work!
But, Roberta, I have to agree with KJ that is needs a bit more before
its done.

I think that you need the solid blue. but a thinker one than you have
there. Then something pieced or the patterned border you have in the
pictures. I think it needs a bigger frame. I'm thinking like the starred
dodecahedron 1. A bit of a blank frame to set off the gorgeousness of
all that work.

Anyway, it's gorgeous whatever you do. (Even if it is just pack it up in
a box & send it to me!)

ciao,

emilia

"Roberta Zollner" wrote in
:

http://cards.webshots.com/invite/pic...album/15124172

Old October 16th 05, 04:25 PM
DrQuilter

Default Thanks, and need opinions

so, what did you do? I have been reading old threads to catch up on
sunday morning while Sofi and DH sleep - she asked for a bottle at 6 and
then started singing 'happy to you papa' for a while before falling
asleep (not that it is anybody's birthday, mind you). I was giggling
after that and couldn't go back to sleep.

I was thinking a narrow dark blue and then the border fabric. unlike
others have said, I do like the contrast of organic vs geometric. Too
bad the yellow isn't red, uh? Then it would go even better, the
background and the blue hints are great. I was trying to think about it
this way: if the mosaic maker had had that fabric as a stone, would they
have used it to frame the medallion?

Roberta Zollner wrote:

I've already "edited" a bit of this floor. Didn't feel like doing the ring
of 64 hexagonal polyhedrons that go just next to the opus sestile triangles
:-) The original has a narrow border of black, a wider band of light grey,
then a row of grey squares set on point with a black background. Which would
look very nice, a bit more than just the plain blue but a lot less than the
busy print, but I was feeling lazy. Now that everyone has voted for the
blue, I may have to reconsider. Already spent so much time on this, what's
a few more days?
Roberta in D

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)
Old October 17th 05, 04:08 PM
Roberta Zollner

The top is done -you must be psychic- and in the middle of being quilted.
After everybody but one or 2 said the blue border was better, I gave myself
a stern shake and a lecture about laziness, then ended up piecing a border
about 6" wide, med. grey squares on point set in the dark blue. It's not too
loud but still better than just plain strips. The corners each have a
5-point star. I'll put up a photo soon. Thanks for asking! (Wish Sofi were
my DGD!)

Not sure what the old mosaic makers would have done. They might have sneered
a bit at that fabric -there was a sort of cheater technique back then where
they painted wet plaster walls or columns fresco-style, then polished
somehow to look like expensive inlaid stone. Kind of like considering
printed fabric a cheater version of expensive embroidery.
Roberta in D