Looking for fuzzy threads recommendations

Old August 29th 08, 01:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

Default Looking for fuzzy threads recommendations

For my Nativity set, I'm thinking of doing the sheep and camels with
fuzzy threads. The sheep have 5 colors in their bodies (I can do
faces/legs with regular floss). The colors are the beige/gray ones
(DMC white, 644,642, 822, & 3781).

There aren't enough colors in Wisper to do this. The camels have 2 or
3 more colors in them and there *might* be enough brown shades to do
them, I'm not sure. Does anyone have any recommendations for other
types of fuzzy threads to do the animals?

Joan
Old August 29th 08, 01:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"Joan E." wrote in message
For my Nativity set, I'm thinking of doing the sheep and camels with
fuzzy threads. The sheep have 5 colors in their bodies (I can do
faces/legs with regular floss). The colors are the beige/gray ones
(DMC white, 644,642, 822, & 3781).

There aren't enough colors in Wisper to do this. The camels have 2 or
3 more colors in them and there *might* be enough brown shades to do
them, I'm not sure. Does anyone have any recommendations for other
types of fuzzy threads to do the animals?

Joan

Camels aren't at all fluffy, so can you use wool for them? One strand from
3 strand Paternayan Persian wool or something like that.

Lucille

Old August 29th 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Joan E. wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations for other
types of fuzzy threads to do the animals?

Joan

Go to your LYS and look around. A skein of their "fuzzy stuff" costs
just slightly more than LNS Fuzzy Stuff/Wisper and is a million times
longer.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Finished 7/27/08 - MLI Christmas Visit

WIP: Oriental Kimono (Janlynn), MLI The Teacher (gift to
the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://journals.aol.com/kmc528/Lifeasweknowit/
Old August 29th 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Magic Mood Jeep ©

Joan E. wrote:
For my Nativity set, I'm thinking of doing the sheep and camels with
fuzzy threads. The sheep have 5 colors in their bodies (I can do
faces/legs with regular floss). The colors are the beige/gray ones
(DMC white, 644,642, 822, & 3781).

There aren't enough colors in Wisper to do this. The camels have 2 or
3 more colors in them and there *might* be enough brown shades to do
them, I'm not sure. Does anyone have any recommendations for other
types of fuzzy threads to do the animals?

Joan

I know someone that has some angora rabbits, and she spins their 'wool'
into some very thin threads. Most is white, but it could probably be
dyed to the color of your choice.. and would probably fluff up with some
gentle brushing after stitching is completed.

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
Old August 29th 08, 03:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"lucretia borgia" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 17:20:32 -0700 (PDT), "Joan E."
opined:

For my Nativity set, I'm thinking of doing the sheep and camels with
fuzzy threads. The sheep have 5 colors in their bodies (I can do
faces/legs with regular floss). The colors are the beige/gray ones
(DMC white, 644,642, 822, & 3781).

There aren't enough colors in Wisper to do this. The camels have 2 or
3 more colors in them and there *might* be enough brown shades to do
them, I'm not sure. Does anyone have any recommendations for other
types of fuzzy threads to do the animals?

Joan

Camels don't have fuzzy fur/hair, they are more like horses, sleek
looking.

But not shiny and sleek like horses. The ones I saw were more of a dull,
brownish, hairy, smelly beast.

Old August 29th 08, 04:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Trish Brown

Joan E. wrote:
For my Nativity set, I'm thinking of doing the sheep and camels with
fuzzy threads. The sheep have 5 colors in their bodies (I can do
faces/legs with regular floss). The colors are the beige/gray ones
(DMC white, 644,642, 822, & 3781).

There aren't enough colors in Wisper to do this. The camels have 2 or
3 more colors in them and there *might* be enough brown shades to do
them, I'm not sure. Does anyone have any recommendations for other
types of fuzzy threads to do the animals?

Joan

S'pose you used one strand of the normal DMC colours for the camels etc
and then added a second strand of the Wisper to add 'hairiness index'?
Or, you could XS normally in DMC and then add a third strand of Wisper,
depending on the coverage you like? Try on a doodle cloth and see if it
works.

HTH :-D

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old August 29th 08, 07:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Lucille wrote:
But not shiny and sleek like horses. The ones I saw were more of a dull,
brownish, hairy, smelly beast.

I agree. The hair is not as long and shiny as horses. As I recall (and
I'm sure someone who has a good zoo closer at hand can correct me if I'm
wrong), camel hair was shorter and even a little wavy/kinky. Maybe do
the bottom leg of the XS with DMC and the top leg with something fuzzy?
Or vice versa, and then you can do the whole bottom layer with one color
of fuzzy and add the shading in the top layer.

Old August 29th 08, 10:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Aug 29, 3:20*am, "Joan E." wrote:
For my Nativity set, I'm thinking of doing the sheep and camels with
fuzzy threads. *The sheep have 5 colors in their bodies (I can do
faces/legs with regular floss). *The colors are the beige/gray ones
(DMC white, 644,642, 822, & 3781).

There aren't enough colors in Wisper to do this. *The camels have 2 or
3 more colors in them and there *might* be enough brown shades to do
them, I'm not sure. *Does anyone have any recommendations for other
types of fuzzy threads to do the animals?

Joan

Camels are best in Satin stich with beize or light browns ,,
mirjam
Old August 29th 08, 10:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Aug 29, 3:20*am, "Joan E." wrote:
For my Nativity set, I'm thinking of doing the sheep and camels with
fuzzy threads. *The sheep have 5 colors in their bodies (I can do
faces/legs with regular floss). *The colors are the beige/gray ones
(DMC white, 644,642, 822, & 3781).

There aren't enough colors in Wisper to do this. *The camels have 2 or
3 more colors in them and there *might* be enough brown shades to do
them, I'm not sure. *Does anyone have any recommendations for other
types of fuzzy threads to do the animals?

Joan

If you send me your Email , i will scan you some REAL camel hair [spun
into threads ] and you can see the colours and soft pluffiness ,,,,
I never saw a camel in Zoo only in the desert ,,
mirjam

warm & fuzzy Allyson Brown Quilting 2 July 19th 05 12:48 AM
OT warm fuzzy maryd Quilting 15 March 18th 05 05:04 PM
fuzzy mat question Denise G. Quilting 7 January 2nd 05 01:34 AM
A XS "warm fuzzy" Barbara Hass Needlework 3 September 17th 04 07:10 PM
Cool Fuzzy Kittie! - OT Tink Beads 5 October 29th 03 02:40 PM