Machine Knitting Challenge !?

Old January 2nd 04, 04:05 PM
Joy Hardie

Default Machine Knitting Challenge !?

I havn't pulled my machine out in several years. I am certain I
wouldn't even remember how to cast on. I am 42 years old and got my
machine while living for a year in England. My husband felt so sorry
that I had to leave my sewing machine back in the states for fear of
the electronics getting ruined in the move or power surges or
something....that he bought me the KM and gobs of wool cones.
I thought it might be fun to have an "Online Machine Knitting
Challenge". It wouldn't be for prizes or to see who could make the
best thing of course. It would be more to challenge ourselves to make
something with our knitting machines.
Let's give ourselves the rest of January to get organized,
figure out what we want to make and get our supplies organized,
ordered, purchased or whatever. It doesn't have to be anything
difficult.....just something to get the machine out of mothballs and
help us remember how fun it was to use. Let's give ourselves a few
weeks to complete the project and then, let's all post a picture of
what we did. That would be great motivation for me! Don't you think
that sounds like fun? An online challenge of sorts?
Now, I won't personally feel pathetic with my humble beginner
project on display.....but I do think that we should include everyone,
even those that never let their machines gather dust (because some of
those people love challenges and to show-off tooo).
Let's think of some guidelines that you like
1. Picture of item
2. However the knitter wants to be named by
3. Knitting Experience (and years of non-use)
4. Difficulty and Origin of Pattern (ie. pattern Co. or book)
5. If Original pattern - is poster willing to share the pattern?

Anything else?
What do you think?
Anyone think they would participate?
Joy

Old January 2nd 04, 06:04 PM
Kari

I would love to, Joy!!!

Let me get my Sewing out of the way. I will start before the end of Jan.
Someone KICK ME if I haven't done anything by 22nd!!
I am experienced (in my opinion of 30yrs count), but don't want to show-off,
just share.

--
Kari (in the UK)
SpamTrap: I will have "no spam" emailed to me!

Old January 2nd 04, 10:08 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

Keeping in mind that we can't post pictures to this non-binary newsgroup, I
love the idea. We could post descriptions, here, or URLs that would lead to
a picture on our own web site, blog, or photo site. Maybe we could
challenge ourselves to knit something between now and Valentine's Day. And
maybe post progress in between if appropriate, as in "Yes! I finally found
something I really want to machine knit out of this yarn in my closet."

| On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 15:05:47 GMT, Joy Hardie wrote:

I havn't pulled my machine out in several years. I am certain I
wouldn't even remember how to cast on. I am 42 years old and got my
machine while living for a year in England. My husband felt so sorry
that I had to leave my sewing machine back in the states for fear of
the electronics getting ruined in the move or power surges or
something....that he bought me the KM and gobs of wool cones.
I thought it might be fun to have an "Online Machine Knitting
Challenge". It wouldn't be for prizes or to see who could make the
best thing of course. It would be more to challenge ourselves to make
something with our knitting machines.
Let's give ourselves the rest of January to get organized,
figure out what we want to make and get our supplies organized,
ordered, purchased or whatever. It doesn't have to be anything
difficult.....just something to get the machine out of mothballs and
help us remember how fun it was to use. Let's give ourselves a few
weeks to complete the project and then, let's all post a picture of
what we did. That would be great motivation for me! Don't you think
that sounds like fun? An online challenge of sorts?
Now, I won't personally feel pathetic with my humble beginner
project on display.....but I do think that we should include everyone,
even those that never let their machines gather dust (because some of
those people love challenges and to show-off tooo).
Let's think of some guidelines that you like
1. Picture of item
2. However the knitter wants to be named by
3. Knitting Experience (and years of non-use)
4. Difficulty and Origin of Pattern (ie. pattern Co. or book)
5. If Original pattern - is poster willing to share the pattern?

Anything else?
What do you think?
Anyone think they would participate?
Joy

Helen "Halla" Fleischer, Fantasy & Fiber Artist
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Balticon Art Program Coordinator http://www.balticon.org
Old January 3rd 04, 03:22 AM
Joy Hardie

I can do a website if pictures are sent to me.
Joy

Old January 3rd 04, 04:24 PM
Kari

Am I the only person in the world that can't get the hang of making a Web
site!!!!

Old January 4th 04, 12:57 AM
Joy Hardie

Kari,
I bet your server offers you a free web ervice and has some
easy-to-follow by the numbers web making program. Our family has
always had the cheapest server known to man (usually under $10/month)
and they have always offered web page services for free. Check it out
and I bet it is easier than you think. I used to think you had to go
buy programs from the store and get really complicated stuff....but
really, aside from the fact that sometimes my server won't let people
visit for an hour because there are sometimes too many visitors
(however that is possible) then aside from visitors having to be
patient and come back an hour later sometimes - Free is good.
Try it - you will like making a web page. It is sort of addicting.
Joy

Old January 4th 04, 02:39 AM
Maniac Rose

making a web page is easy, once you get to learn a few things about it, do a
search for "How to Make a Webpage" and I'm sure you will find something out
there that is easy to understand. When I first made my web pages, it was
frustrating, but finally got the hang of it, and eventually had my web
pages. My new server don't have space for that, so as of now, I don't have
my web pages up. I'll have to look at those free web pages to get them back
up again.
here is a link on that info:
http://www.wam.umd.edu/~toh/HowToMakeAWebPage.html
I'm sure there are plenty more like that around, just take it a little at a
time, and eventually you have your own web site...Maniac Rose

Old January 6th 04, 12:21 AM
Kari

Joy / Mania Rose,
My Server has an "Easy Instruction" Web building thing - but I can't even
get the hang of that!!!
Oh I can build the page - but I can't get the hang of "uploading it to the
Web" so that people can see it by typing "www whatever.co.uk
I have given up for now, prefer to knit and write software programs.