Pattern generation?

Old July 23rd 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Michael[_2_]

Default Pattern generation?

I've been playing with the Glass Eye pattern software. I'm interested
in the various ways you all create your patterns. Do you use Glass
Eye or some other software? Does anybody skip computers totally and
do the whole process by hand?

If you use a computer, do you print out a large pattern in multiple
sections on standard 8 1/2" x 11" and then tape them together, or do
you have a printer/plotter that will handle most window sizes in a
single sheet of paper?

Thanks, Michael

Old July 24th 07, 02:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

On Jul 23, 10:28 am, Michael wrote:
I've been playing with the Glass Eye pattern software. I'm interested
in the various ways you all create your patterns. Do you use Glass
Eye or some other software? Does anybody skip computers totally and
do the whole process by hand?

If you use a computer, do you print out a large pattern in multiple
sections on standard 8 1/2" x 11" and then tape them together, or do
you have a printer/plotter that will handle most window sizes in a
single sheet of paper?

Thanks, Michael

I've been doing it the same way for almost 27 years. Pen/pencil and
paper. I find I'm more in tune with the artwork. I just can't see
myself staring at a monitor and trying to draw a pattern up. I usually
draw the full size outside demension shape to get a perspective of the
acutal design. Then I draw the thumbnails.

Old July 24th 07, 03:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Michael[_2_]

neoglassic wrote:

I've been doing it the same way for almost 27 years. Pen/pencil and
paper. I find I'm more in tune with the artwork. I just can't see
myself staring at a monitor and trying to draw a pattern up.

************
That's really cool, neo. My guess is that you are an accomplished
artist, too.

Michael

Old July 24th 07, 11:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

On Jul 23, 10:28 am, Michael wrote:
I've been playing with the Glass Eye pattern software. I'm interested
in the various ways you all create your patterns. Do you use Glass
Eye or some other software? Does anybody skip computers totally and
do the whole process by hand?

If you use a computer, do you print out a large pattern in multiple
sections on standard 8 1/2" x 11" and then tape them together, or do
you have a printer/plotter that will handle most window sizes in a
single sheet of paper?

Thanks, Michael

Our shop does a steady flow of commission work each day and a routine
output of production work. The only hand drawings we do are sketches
to be scanned in then used to complete the pattern in GE. We do all
patterns in GE and maintain a large library of designs to work from.
It takes only a few minutes to tape together 8x11 pieces so that's our
most popular method but we do sometimes have large patterns printed
full size. You can email the GE drawing to a place that has a printer/
plotter.

Dennis Brady
DeBrady Glassworks - http://www.debrady.com
Victorian Art Glass - http://www.vicartglass.com
Glass Campus - http://glasscampus.com

Old July 25th 07, 05:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

"Michael" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've been playing with the Glass Eye pattern software. I'm interested
in the various ways you all create your patterns. Do you use Glass
Eye or some other software? Does anybody skip computers totally and
do the whole process by hand?

If you use a computer, do you print out a large pattern in multiple
sections on standard 8 1/2" x 11" and then tape them together, or do
you have a printer/plotter that will handle most window sizes in a
single sheet of paper?

Thanks, Michael

25 years by hand on graph paper rolls, and no I am not a fine artist at
all. This is a craft. Anyone can learn how to draw almost anything with a
few clever paper folds, light table, ruler, and french curve.

--
JK Sinrod
www.SinrodStudios.com