Questiion about FAQ and Charter

Old July 18th 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker[_2_]

Default Questiion about FAQ and Charter

I'm curious about the procedure to create a moderated group, or change the
group charter to a moderated one?

Old July 19th 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Ron Parker

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 16:57:27 -0400, Moonraker wrote:
I'm curious about the procedure to create a moderated group, or change the
group charter to a moderated one?

You go through the same request for discussion/call for votes process you'd
use to create a new newsgroup. See

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/moderated-ng-faq/
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/crea...sgroups/part1/

For further information, you could hang around news.groups or go through old
posts there.

Old July 19th 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker[_2_]

"Ron Parker" wrote in message
news:slrnf9upal.bpg.this%23is$really*my^address!@m ail.parkrrrr.com...
On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 16:57:27 -0400, Moonraker wrote:
I'm curious about the procedure to create a moderated group, or change
the
group charter to a moderated one?

You go through the same request for discussion/call for votes process
you'd
use to create a new newsgroup. See

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/moderated-ng-faq/
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/crea...sgroups/part1/

For further information, you could hang around news.groups or go through
old
posts there.

Thanks, Ron.

That looks like a lot of trouble to go through just to kill a couple of
spammers and trolls.

Old July 19th 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Ron Parker

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 10:07:27 -0400, Moonraker wrote:
That looks like a lot of trouble to go through just to kill a couple of
spammers and trolls.

It is. And that doesn't even count the work that you commit to if you're
one of the moderators. That's not much work here, granted, because of the
low post volume, but it's still work.

The best way I know of to kill spammers is to get a good newsreader that
lets you filter on the Newsgroups or Xref header and just kill anything
that's posted to more than three or four groups (I'd say more than one
group, but we do get the occasional on-topic thread here cross-posted to
r.c.beads.) That doesn't get the really determined ones who post the
same spew to individual newsgroups one at a time, though.

An alternative, mentioned in the moderation FAQ, is to get everyone to
agree to put some sort of sigil in their Subject header to identify the
post as on-topic, then use your newsreader to ignore any posts that don't
contain the sigil. In a group like this where we have so many newbies
and such low volume, that probably wouldn't go over so well.

The best way to get rid of trolls is to ignore them. Unfortunately, the
Brady twins aren't your usual kind of trolls. Without someone to point
out that Dennis is untrustworthy and a liar, he's likely to sucker some
newbie into giving him money, so we can't all killfile him. Sadly, that
also means that those of us who have killfiled him still see the toxic
waste that results from each of his posts. (And it's not possible to
killfile the replies on the References header, as his message-ids
appear to be too generic.) The best we can do is hope that he eventually
gets it through his thick skull that his continued antagonism here is
costing him revenue. Sadly, that would require him to have a clue how
to run a business and/or how to be a functioning member of society.

Old July 21st 07, 03:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Chemo the Clown

On Jul 19, 7:07 am, " Moonraker" wrote:
"Ron Parker" wrote in message

news:slrnf9upal.bpg.this%23is$really*my^address!@m ail.parkrrrr.com...

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 16:57:27 -0400, Moonraker wrote:
I'm curious about the procedure to create a moderated group, or change
the
group charter to a moderated one?

You go through the same request for discussion/call for votes process
you'd
use to create a new newsgroup. See

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/moderated-ng-faq/
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/crea...sgroups/part1/

For further information, you could hang around news.groups or go through
old
posts there.

Thanks, Ron.

That looks like a lot of trouble to go through just to kill a couple of
spammers and trolls.- Hide quoted text -

I vote Moonraker as President of the Internet.

Old July 21st 07, 04:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
javahut

" Moonraker" wrote in message

"Ron Parker" wrote in message
news:slrnf9upal.bpg.this%23is$really*my^address!@m ail.parkrrrr.com...
On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 16:57:27 -0400, Moonraker wrote:
I'm curious about the procedure to create a moderated group, or change
the
group charter to a moderated one?

You go through the same request for discussion/call for votes process
you'd
use to create a new newsgroup. See

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/moderated-ng-faq/
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/crea...sgroups/part1/

For further information, you could hang around news.groups or go through
old
posts there.

Thanks, Ron.

That looks like a lot of trouble to go through just to kill a couple of
spammers and trolls.

30-06 X 100 yds, ought to do it.

Original charter [email protected] Rubberstamps 1 October 19th 06 04:31 PM
Charter & (pointer to) FAQs RCG.FAQ.BOT Glass 0 February 16th 06 05:58 AM
Charter Jeannette Marsala Rubberstamps 0 July 14th 05 08:42 PM
Charter/FAQ Karen McAtamney Marketplace 0 November 16th 04 10:11 PM
Charter & FAQs Steve Ackman Glass 0 October 3rd 03 10:48 PM