OT [very] My Hometown is on Fire

Old July 5th 08, 08:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Default Fri evening update [was OT [very] My Hometown is on Fire]

Thanks to everyone keeping us up dated on the fires. We are in dry
conditions here in the SC, NC, GA area. It is just plain dumb about selling
of fireworks in this area.. There is rain forecast for our area but we just
get clouds and high temps.
Barbara in SC

Old July 5th 08, 04:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

They can be illegal in one state but fine in the next. Folks will drive for
hours to get them.
We only heard one set go off in our neighborhood last night. Last year there
were a number of them.

Butterfly (and when they get caught.......we did NOT know they were....yeah,
right)

m...

Old July 5th 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Judie in Penfield NY[_3_]

Taria wrote:
I am in the high desert, just on the edge. 12 or 15 miles maybe from the top of the pass.

People are scattered absolutely everywhere here so it doesn't take
long for life and property to be at
risk even in places that seem uninhabitable.
Taria

I used to live in Hesperia, before that I was in Phelan. My Mom lived in
Phelan for years and years. I have two grandaughters, their mom and my
sister and her family all in Apple Valley, a brother in Hesperia and
various other relatives scattered in the high desert. I was just there
in January of this year and cannot believe how many people live in the
Victor Valley now.

It's sure not a "potty stop" to me, it's one of my old homes and I will
always have a special place in my heart for that area. Especially since
the In N Outs went in, two of them in Hesperia!

Judie
Old July 5th 08, 06:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Once you get used to the desert it can easily become special. NY is a
big change from here. We first moved here in '89 and planned to stay
a couple of years and move on. It was a huge adjustment from San Diego
but after some time we learned to enjoy it. DS always hated it
and moved back to SD a few years ago. There just isn't a lot going on
for younger folks. It is really a different place than it was 20 years
ago.
Since we cut fat I rarely get to In and Out. : (
Taria

Old July 5th 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

My (ex)SIL lives in Lancaster, CA. She LOVES the desert. I do like the
Bend,OR area, which is considered a desert area, but it's totally different
from the area around Lancaster. Taria, where are you located?

Pauline
Northern California

Old July 6th 08, 12:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I'm over in Victorville. We are east of Lancaster 30 or 40
miles along the I-15. We get wind
like they do in Palmdale/Lancaster. It is cool here in the
evenings and not quite as hot as the low desert. (Palm Spings)
We get a bit of snow a time or two in the winter and definitely
have seasons that they don't get in most of So. Cal. I grew
up in OC and then lived in San Diego after I got married. This
was a big adjusment but has worked out mostly ok. I'm not sure
how long this area will be reasonably livable. Like the rest
of Ca (and then some) it has changed, not for the better. The
population is completely different here than 20 years ago.
TAria

Old July 6th 08, 01:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

We had lots of fireworks around here last night. There was the
professional produced show at the college about a mile away. And the
illegal ones in the neighborhood, which were very scary and poorly set
off. On my walk this morning I could pinpoint which houses had the
largest set-ups.

The fire is now about 9000 acres. There have been evacuations of about
3000 families. Waiting to hear the local update at 6PM. There was a
joint media conference held this afternoon with "the gubernator"
Arnold Schwarzenegger near the fire site. Fortunately I do not get the
local cable channel from there to see it live.

Last night there were the sundowner winds pretty powerful, that made
the fire grow very fast. Sure am hoping Mother Nature will be kinder
today, but it has been very warm and we are heading into a dry/high
heat forecast for the next week.

Thanks to everyone for their continued prayers for the firefighters
[bless their souls!] and for a quick knockdown of the fire.

Ginger in CA

Old July 6th 08, 08:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_2_]

There's a great article on fires in the latest National Geographic,
makes it all very real for those who don't live in fire zones.

Hard to believe people were setting off fireworks with all that going
on!
Roberta in D

Old July 6th 08, 07:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

I remember several years ago when it rained in Lancaster & my SIL went
hunting for the umbrella. When she opened it up, it disintegrated - it has
been sitting for years in the closet unused. I probably haven't been to
Lancaster for about 10 years & prior to that, it was probably 8 years & the
changes in the town were dramatic.

My SIL used to own "the" fabric store in town & she was a Viking dealer.
(Probably 20 years ago.) She primarily sold garment fabrics & it used to
make her crazy when quilters would come into the store & ask for 1/8 yards &
1/4 yards of fabric. (She has no patience.) Too bad she didn't hang on to
the store, because she would have seen the demand for quilting fabrics &
survived.

Pauline
Northern California

Old July 6th 08, 08:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dragonfly

Here (New Mexico) there are all sorts of restrictions on what is legal to
buy/sell in the in-town fireworks stands, and restrictions on what can be
shot off, due to fire danger. (Nothing louder than a cap pistol, nothing
going higher than ten feet, must be used on pavement.) All is well-regulated
in the stores and the fireworks stands.

However, we are surrounded by Indian pueblos (considered sovereign nations
not governed by those restrictions) and they sell all sorts of things.
[Interestingly enough, they also have signs in their parking lots saying to
not shoot off fireworks in the parking lot, nor elsewhere on Indian land.]

We saw illegal fireworks shows going off all around us on the 4th, as well
as the magnificent one put on (legally) by the city, which we can see from
our backyard. [BTW, all those neighbors with illegal fireworks could have
seen the City's show, as well, if they had bothered.] Everything shot off
by our neighbors was quite a bit louder than a cap pistol, and went over ten
feet in the air. Some were shooting off rockets going 100 feet or more in
the air. And, to avoid the police getting there in time for their $100-$1000
fines, most were shooting off lots of stuff all at once, so that each
individual's "fireworks show" was over in a few minutes.

Very dangerous to shoot everything off at once like that, in an area with
homes, surrounded by dry vegetation. Makes you want to wish that those
things land on *their* roof, not ours!

Stupid, stupid people. (And I don't normally use that word to describe
anyone.)

Dragonfly (Pam)

"nzlstar*" wrote in message
snipped
seems to me its asking for more trouble when no one in authority has the
good sense to cancel all fireworks displays and/or sale in areas where
there is a high fire risk.
is the 4th of July really all that important that it is worth the risk of
setting more fires in those areas?
flabberghasted and gobsmacked,
j.

FIRE!! Christina Peterson Beads 9 June 30th 08 07:16 AM
OT Way OT - Fire in the sky Cats Quilting 22 July 22nd 06 03:35 PM
My Visit to the Hometown of Silk Embroidery Silkembroideryman Needlework 1 June 22nd 05 03:32 PM
OT - Fire Beadbimbo Beads 23 August 15th 04 12:52 AM
Fire Eddie Daughton Pottery 0 July 3rd 03 10:14 PM