Using THREAD?

Old July 6th 03, 12:26 PM
Mike Hardie

Default Using THREAD?

Can you knit with thread in the knitting machine? I need to create a
sheer lace material and was dreaming that maybe it would be possible
to do it on my ordinary Brother punchcard non-electronic machine with
some thread. Has anyone ever tried this and does it work? Does it
take several strands of thread or heavier weight thread to make it
work? Can I throw in a mylar or fancier thread for interest or does
that not work well? I am really hoping this will work and can't wait
to hear from you. My husband is banking that it won't, so he said I
had to ask before I try.
Thanks, Joy
Old July 6th 03, 02:22 PM
Marion Pearcey

The message
from Mike Hardie contains these words:

Can you knit with thread in the knitting machine? I need to create a
sheer lace material

I made a tuck lace scarf using one strand of lurex and one strand of
silky, you can't get much finer than that, but I would not describe it
as sheer lace, if you contact me direct I could scan the picture and
send it to you so that you can see if it's what you have in mind.

Old July 8th 03, 12:51 PM
Mike Hardie

Oh my word! Now THAT sounds weird! What was it? Some type of
chainmail? Did it turn out nice?
Joy
Old July 8th 03, 02:53 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 07:51:04 -0400, Mike Hardie wrote:

Oh my word! Now THAT sounds weird! What was it? Some type of
chainmail? Did it turn out nice?
Joy

I have knit with fine, color-coated wire on my little tube knitter but not
my flatbed machine. On the tube knitter it turns out very slinky and makes
fun jewelry. I've even put beads inside the tube for an interesting "caged"
effect. I have seen a triangle knit on the flat bed being used as a
necklace. Looks a bit like mail, yes. I plan to try that one for myself one
of these days. Combined with yarn, a thin wire would ad stiffness for
sculptural forms in garments or accessories.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Old July 9th 03, 10:13 AM
longbrown

http://www.erica.co.uk/
This lady knit with wire and her jewellery is stunning,
Ann

Old July 10th 03, 02:42 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 10:13:51 +0100, "longbrown" wrote:

http://www.erica.co.uk/
This lady knit with wire and her jewellery is stunning,
Ann

Are there more pictures of knitted wire than just the earrings on that
site? Those are nice, but I was hoping for more!

Old July 13th 03, 07:30 PM
longbrown

Are there more pictures of knitted wire than just the earrings on that
site? Those are nice, but I was hoping for more!

not that I know of but she's very helpful if you e-mail her,
Ann

Old July 16th 03, 02:45 AM
Marge Parker

Hi all,

I've used it several times. I use an 8/2 cotton in a neutral color
and then a silky looking thread that is close to 20/2 in size for the
second 'yarn' and just use any fairisle pattern / punch card. Works
like a charm.

It looks good for cafe curtains, especially if they are double-rod top
and bottom. I've got a 'snood' I made up with this around here
somewhere. Will get a pic up online tonight if I can find it.

Marge in Reno
http://www.mkdesigner.com

Old July 16th 03, 07:52 AM
Joanne

Marge Parker wrote:
Hi all,

I've used it several times. I use an 8/2 cotton in a neutral color
and then a silky looking thread that is close to 20/2 in size for the
second 'yarn' and just use any fairisle pattern / punch card. Works
like a charm.

It looks good for cafe curtains, especially if they are double-rod top
and bottom. I've got a 'snood' I made up with this around here
somewhere. Will get a pic up online tonight if I can find it.

Marge in Reno
http://www.mkdesigner.com

Marge? Is that you? I asked about you at WARC and they
told me you weren't there anymore. I'm probably years
behind the times, eh? Good to see you here! Nice web site!

--
Joanne

Old July 21st 03, 05:44 AM
Marge Parker

Hi Joanne!!

Yup, 'tis me. I've picked up a couple of machines since we last
talked. I left WARC in June 1999 after becoming diabetic (was
borderline for almost 10 yrs) and needed to work only part time.
Their budget couldn't keep me on, not in my position as Program
Secretary. So I had to quit. Then worked at a law office a couple of
years later, now teaching online auctions and web marketing full time.
Plus the website -- thanks for the kind words -- it's taken off a LOT
bigger than I thought it would when I took it to Membership.

Marge in Reno
http://www.mkdesigner.com