Crochet help

Old October 20th 05, 08:56 AM
magikjaz

Default Crochet help

I'm hoping someone can help. I'm a crochet beginner self taught working
on my first project...a nice simple scarf. Basically the pattern was
worsted yarn ch 60" and sc until width is achieved. Using an I hook.
Unfortunately it appears to be curling up on me. Is there something I
can do to stop this or fix it once I'm done? I'm about 1/4 thru the
work (just started today). I have no problem starting over if that's
what I must do. I anxiously await help!

Old October 20th 05, 11:04 AM

magikjaz wrote:
I'm hoping someone can help. I'm a crochet beginner self taught working
on my first project...a nice simple scarf. Basically the pattern was
worsted yarn ch 60" and sc until width is achieved. Using an I hook.
Unfortunately it appears to be curling up on me. Is there something I
can do to stop this or fix it once I'm done? I'm about 1/4 thru the
work (just started today). I have no problem starting over if that's
what I must do. I anxiously await help!

Don't worry about curling while you are working on it. It happens,
it's normal.

When you are finished, you'll block it flat, and it should be fine.

Caryn

Old October 20th 05, 08:30 PM
magikjaz

Thanks Caryn, Susan and Mirjam for responding! I don't have a bigger
sized hook yet. I got a beginner set and this is the biggest I have. It
does seem to be curling less as I get more done (about 2/3 done now). I
am making sure that the stitches aren't twisted tho as far as I can
tell... but how do I block? Sorry I'm so completely new at this.

Old October 20th 05, 10:07 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Don't apologize for being new at crochet! We were all "new" at one
point in time. Even old timers have questions.

Blocking is pinning out the object to size and steam pressing. If it
was a doily, you'd wash and pin until dry.

Large pieces I've never pinned but merely steam pressed the edges. Or
for things like afghans done in strips, steam pressed the individual
crocheted strips without pinning prior to putting them together.

Dianne

--
"The Journal of Needlework" - The E-zine for All Needleworkers
http://journal.heritageshoppe.com

Old October 20th 05, 10:25 PM

magikjaz wrote:
Thanks Caryn, Susan and Mirjam for responding! I don't have a bigger
sized hook yet. I got a beginner set and this is the biggest I have. It
does seem to be curling less as I get more done (about 2/3 done now). I
am making sure that the stitches aren't twisted tho as far as I can
tell... but how do I block? Sorry I'm so completely new at this.

I block by getting the piece good and wet and laying it out in the
proper shape on a towel. The results seem to last better for me than
steaming does. With thick things like scarves and sweaters I don't
always use pins just gently shape the piece and let it dry that way.

Caryn

Old October 21st 05, 12:43 AM
magikjaz

Thanks! I should be done tonight with my first project and try blocking
it then. Tomorrow I try a new project...I'm thinking afghan
Jaz

Old October 21st 05, 01:07 AM

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:
Steaming does require patience, and lots of it. g But you can steam
an area and pat it gingerly so that it cools more quickly. Once cool,
you can move onto the next section.

Dianne

Most of my crochet stuff barely needs blocking, that I could steam
fairly effortlessly.

I knit a lot of arans, some using pretty dense wool. Steaming those
would be such a royal PITA, when a quick spin thru the rinse cycle in
my washing machine with cold water will do the job. Not to mention
that really soaking the fibers helps them retain their blocked shape
better in my experience.

Caryn (who finished a knit sweater on Tuesday and will finish a crochet
one tonight-if I stay awake that long)