Hand Quilter question

Old October 11th 05, 03:06 PM
Bonnie NJ

Default Hand Quilter question

Hi All,
I was wondering if any of you hand quilters have quilted a large quilt
without a frame. I do quite a few of my small quilts (wall and lap size)
without a frame - just in my lap. I am considering doing a twin size quilt
this way. My frame has a queen size on it and I don't know when I'll get
around to finishing that quilt. In the mean time I have two twin tops
awaiting quilting and thought I might attempt doing them without a frame.
Any thoughts?

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old October 11th 05, 03:29 PM
Marlys in Indiana

Bonnie,
I have used what is called a Q Snap, (I think that's what it is called.)
You can get them in several sizes. I have just the small one but have
done sections of a queen size quilt with it. Have no room for a large
quilt frame and also don't do all that much hand quilting.
Hope that helps.
Marlys in Indiana

ink.net...

Old October 11th 05, 03:30 PM
Sandy Foster

In article . net,
"Bonnie NJ" wrote:

Hi All,
I was wondering if any of you hand quilters have quilted a large quilt
without a frame. I do quite a few of my small quilts (wall and lap size)
without a frame - just in my lap. I am considering doing a twin size quilt
this way. My frame has a queen size on it and I don't know when I'll get
around to finishing that quilt. In the mean time I have two twin tops
awaiting quilting and thought I might attempt doing them without a frame.
Any thoughts?

When I first began quilting, I did it without any hoop/frame, but I
didn't get as good results on the back as I do now. I still don't have a
frame, but I do use a hoop -- could you get/borrow a hoop to use with
those smaller quilts?
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old October 11th 05, 03:50 PM
Betty in Wi

I am handquilting a queen size quilt....for about 10 years now!!! I started
out with the Q-Snap frame, went to a large hoop on a stand, and now I'm
using just a hoop. There's 10 years of learning how to HQ on that quilt!
Personally, I prefer the hoop or hoop on a stand to using a frame. That way
you don't have to quilt in 4 directions.

Betty in WI

Old October 11th 05, 04:06 PM
Marcella Peek

In article . net,
"Bonnie NJ" wrote:

Hi All,
I was wondering if any of you hand quilters have quilted a large quilt
without a frame. I do quite a few of my small quilts (wall and lap size)
without a frame - just in my lap. I am considering doing a twin size quilt
this way. My frame has a queen size on it and I don't know when I'll get
around to finishing that quilt. In the mean time I have two twin tops
awaiting quilting and thought I might attempt doing them without a frame.
Any thoughts?

Every year our guild makes a raffle quilt. They are usually larger than
twin up to queen size. We have it basted at a local machine quilters
and then it's passed around to be hand quilted.

Most ladies use a hoop to quilt. A few quilt without a hoop. One lady
who does the most beautiful hand quilting lays the quilt on her dining
room table and sits in a chair and quilts that way. She says it keeps
the weight off her and she can quilt more easily that way.

I am sure you can do it. You just need to find the method that works
best for you.

marcella
Old October 11th 05, 04:07 PM
Liz A.

Hi Bonnie,

I've just completed hand quilting a large, 85" x 100" quilt that had
been started by my great aunt. I only used a lap hoop. Now that that
project is finally completed, I've pulled out the 84" x 84" Hawaiian
quilt that I had started previous to the other project. I'm only using
my lap hoop for it. I find it easier on my back than using my large,
floor stand hoop which rotates 360=BA.

After years of quilting, I've finally learned that you use what you are
most comfortable with.=20

LizA.
Kent, WA

Old October 11th 05, 06:49 PM
Roberta Zollner

Tried a big frame once and hated it. Now all hand quilting goes in a hoop so
I can recline on the sofa, tuck the rest of the quilt over my legs, and
quilt what's in the circle.
Roberta in D

Old October 11th 05, 07:01 PM
Anne in CA

I would like to try a frame one day but meanwhile I have given up on a
hoop -- too much shifting. I quilted my block swap quilt
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...84273902EvlTln
(68" x 84") without hoop or frame, just fluffed it up on my lap in a
recliner chair and quilted away.

Anne in CA
annerudolph AT comcast DOT net
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl
Crow
http://community.webshots.com/user/annerudolph3

Old October 11th 05, 07:19 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
Frame? Don't use a big frame if I can avoid it.

I always use a hoop, tho'.

Cheers!
Ragmop/Sandy --w/ several hoops for several quilts ;-)

Old October 11th 05, 09:57 PM
Sharon Harper

Pssssst.....over here......under the virtual quilt frame.....behind Jeanne
and the M&Ms......(gosh awful French accent) Lissen very carefully...I shall
say ziss...only once....I don't use a hoop or a frame. I find them too
awkward. I'm currently hand quilting a queen bed quilt while sitting in a
recliner in front of the TV.

Now where were the brownies????

quicker)