New Question - Purl Stitch

Old January 17th 04, 08:08 PM
Kristy Malarkey

Default New Question - Purl Stitch

Hi everyone,

First thank you to everyone for the welcome to the group and the assistance
with my last question. Being as I have lots of free time at the moment, I
got the basic k st down and even have the gauge thing going pretty good.

I should also introduce myself as I am new here. My name is Kristy I am 31
(soon to be 32) I have two grown step children and 3 fur babies (1 cat, 2
dogs all the same size :-)) and I am married to a wonderful man who retires
from the Navy in 6 months at which time we will move back to the states and
hopefully buy a house :-)

Now for my next question, I am following the directions in my book for the
purl stitch and I must be doing something wrong as it looks exactly like the
knit stitch.

I have the Idiots Guide to Knitting and Crochet as well as My Knitting
Teacher from Susan Bates and I am left handed. Kind of a double wammy as I
am left handed and teaching myself as I don't know anyone here that knits
:-)

If anyone knows of an easy to follow directions online I would be forever
grateful :-D

Thank you

Kristy

Old January 17th 04, 08:16 PM
Slinky

If you watch in the mirror as you make a knit stitch, you'll see that
purl is the mirror image of knit. When you alternate a row of knit
stitches with a row of purl stitches you get...stockinette stitch:
smooth on one side, bumpy on the other.

Purl is simple. Move the yarn forward between the tips of the
needles, stick the right needle through the next stitch on the left
needle from right to left, throw the yarn around the tip of the right
needle, pull it back through, and slip the stitch off the left needle.

Old January 17th 04, 08:21 PM
Ophelia

"Kristy Malarkey" wrote in message

Welcome from Scotland Kristy)

Ophelia

Old January 17th 04, 08:53 PM
Kristy Malarkey

Thank you Ophelia, I am in Italy at the moment and I have a cousin who is
working somewhere in Scotland,I am hoping to go see her before we leave :-)

Kristy

Old January 17th 04, 09:59 PM
Janise Ross

Maybe this will help, Kristy...

http://stitchguide.com/stitches/knit...s/kn_purl.html

Janise

Old January 17th 04, 10:55 PM
JudyTurpin

Janise wrote

Maybe this will help, Kristy...

http://stitchguide.com/stitches/knit...s/kn_purl.html

Janise

What a great site. I will bookmark it. I don't think I have seen that one
before. I will have to show it to my grand daughters.
They sometimes forget betweem my visits but the two older ones (who are the
ones learning to knit) are both computer savvy.
JCT
Old January 18th 04, 12:21 AM
Seaspray

Sorry that I can't help you with any knitting stitches because I only
crochet, but I wanted to welcome you to the group. It is nice to meet you.

Seaspray

Old January 18th 04, 01:34 PM
B Vaughan

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 21:53:10 +0100, "Kristy Malarkey"
wrote:

Thank you Ophelia, I am in Italy at the moment and I have a cousin who is
working somewhere in Scotland,I am hoping to go see her before we leave :-)

Where are you in Italy? I live in Italy, in Le Marche, province of
Ancona.
--------
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.

Old January 19th 04, 11:29 PM
Kayrun

Hi,
And congrats on teaching yourself to knit!
I've found 2 sites that might help you:
(this first one has knitting rhymes for the knit & purl stitch)
http://www.chicknits.com/knitrhymes.shtml
and
the next one has diagrams for the purl stitch:
http://www.theyarnco.com/purl.php
Good luck!
Karen G.

Question ~Candace~ Beads 37 February 2nd 05 08:15 PM
Raised cup stitch question Jeanine3 Needlework 8 September 2nd 04 04:10 AM
Photo realistic stitch help Tim Plumlee Needlework 0 July 3rd 04 09:54 AM
Question about count Amberinauburn Needlework 22 April 21st 04 12:09 AM
For Sale knitting macrame, cross stitch, general crafts lisa Marketplace 0 March 20th 04 06:31 AM