I know I shouldn't, but....

Old February 9th 09, 06:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman

Default I know I shouldn't, but....

For some reason, I've had a hankering to do some Hardanger. It's been
awhile since I played in that sandbox, so to speak, and I have WIPs out
the wazoo and have committed to finishing some of them before allowing
myself to take up anything new. But yesterday I succumbed - started a
very small (and therefore quick) Hardanger indulgence. I need a birthday
gift for a friend next week, so I pulled out some fabric, threads, a
prism, and a design (see, at least I'm using my stash, so I can feel
good about that!) to make a suncatcher.

Sue

--
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music
Old February 9th 09, 08:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
bungadora

On Feb 9, 11:01*am, Susan Hartman wrote:
For some reason, I've had a hankering to do some Hardanger. It's been
awhile since I played in that sandbox, so to speak, and I have WIPs out
the wazoo and have committed to finishing some of them before allowing
myself to take up anything new. But yesterday I succumbed - started a
very small (and therefore quick) Hardanger indulgence. I need a birthday
gift for a friend next week, so I pulled out some fabric, threads, a
prism, and a design (see, at least I'm using my stash, so I can feel
good about that!) to make a suncatcher.

Using up stash always counts as a good deed, so I think you have
nothing to feel badly about.

Can't join you though. I'm afraid I blew my New Year's resolutions re
diet, budget and stash last weekend. I attended a 7 course gourmet
dinner, with different wines for each course (all of which I at least
sampled) then bought 3 balls of qiviuk wool.

Bad Dora who is trying to get back on the diet wagon.

http://picturetrail.com/bungadora

Old February 9th 09, 09:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
bungadora

On Feb 9, 2:14*pm, lucretia borgia wrote:
On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 12:29:34 -0800 (PST), bungadora
opined:

[...]

If you get the chance to attend a dinner like that, it would be SINFUL
to turn it down !-

True. But I think I could have skipped the bun at the beginning of the
meal.
Dora

Old February 9th 09, 10:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman

bungadora wrote:
[...]

Sin BOLDLY! VBG

Really, if you're gonna do it, go all out...and don't feel guilty!
Tomorrow is another day!

sue

Old February 10th 09, 12:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
bungadora

On Feb 9, 3:44*pm, lucretia borgia wrote:
On Mon, 09 Feb 2009 17:21:18 -0500, Susan Hartman
opined:

True. But I think I could have skipped the bun at the beginning of the
meal.
Dora

Sin BOLDLY! VBG

Really, if you're gonna do it, go all out...and don't feel guilty!
Tomorrow is another day!

sue

Buns smuns. *I'm with Sue, no point in half sins lol * So long as
you're back on the wagon, it's only a temporary setback.

Well to tell the truth, I'm not sure what I regret more. Eating all
that food or not being able to eat all of it. The only time in my
life I haven't had enough room to eat a chocolate at the end. Ah well,
salad tonight.
Dora
Old February 10th 09, 03:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman

bungadora wrote:

Sin BOLDLY! VBG

I like that.8))
Dora

That's not mine; that's Martin Luther. (quoting Paul's letter to the
Phillippians.)

"Sin boldly, so that grace may abound." Or something along those lines.

Sue

Old February 15th 09, 04:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 2/9/09 1:01 PM, "Susan Hartman" wrote:

For some reason, I've had a hankering to do some Hardanger. It's been
awhile since I played in that sandbox, so to speak, and I have WIPs out
the wazoo and have committed to finishing some of them before allowing
myself to take up anything new. But yesterday I succumbed - started a
very small (and therefore quick) Hardanger indulgence. I need a birthday
gift for a friend next week, so I pulled out some fabric, threads, a
prism, and a design (see, at least I'm using my stash, so I can feel
good about that!) to make a suncatcher.

Sue

Ah, funny - I just went through a box of stash...and found 2 Emie Bishop
chart books. I've been crashing to finish Amethyst Dreams to get to the
framer, and was down to thw last couple of hours work - when the migraine
demon hit on Thursday. Knocking out the stitching finish for then and
Friday, and, well, most of yesterday. So, too late (since I was supposed to
drop it at Woodlawn today). But.....

Digression tangential chat followed by back to topic:
While not stitching yesterday, but thinking about how well was the
medication working - I did decide to go through and clear up some stash
(mostly because I had to clear things from the sewing/cutting table which
was preceded by me having to use the sewing machine to fix DH's hockey ref
all-in-one pants - as I digresss. Conversation - at 12:55 pm "umm, hon, did
you get a chance to fix up my ref pants?" "Uh - NO - they were in the wash
and you didn't remind me." "Um, weeeelll - could you fix the pocket, and
well, the crotch - the dryer is done now" "Me - are you kidding - if you
asked me an hour ago - sure." "OK, I'm sorry, just, well, I was worried
about the crotch blowing out..." "big sigh, you're leaving in 30 min? - OK
- just go get them and meet me downstairs" What's the big deal? Haven't
used machine in a couple of weeks, and there is much STUFF piled all around
as I've been sort of trying to find all the various stash, etc. And I have
to find the right thread, bobbin, take off some of the temporary markers for
seams set for current project. Plus, sewing on these is a PITA - the pants
are rip stop nylon, the inner legs - thru crotch - has a 3" band of heavy
weight stretch knit (they're pro ref pants), and the pads are built in -
essentially in a bunch of mesh compartments that are attahced at the entire
waistband, and then tacked down in the legs, crotch rear, etc. So, okay, I
fixed the trying to open up crotch - dead center - stretch stitch, regular
stitch, and the opposite direction with the nylon - from zip around. But
the pocket - forget it - I found a way to get in - thinking I could slide it
onto the machine arm - space is about enough, but some of the rigid pads
won't fit thru the space in the machine open area. So, I then sew thru the
very tough 3 layers of rip-sotp - by hand - while trying not to pick up the
inner mesh with the pads. Oh, did I mention I cut my thumb in a bagel
accident on Wed? So that's healing. Anyhow - it got done. DH very nicely
thrilled. At least 1 pocket done - the other will wait - I need a thimble
to do it. Why do I care. Well, he was working a Girls U-19 game from the
Women's Junior Hockey League - about the best women's hockey there is.
Seriously. Something like 14 officials came in from out of town - mostly
Colorado, and only a handful of locals got to work some games. Tourney for
this weekend including u-19s & U-16s. Many national team members from
Canada & the US. The women reffing & lining, most all with IIHF
(International Ice Hockey Federation) certs - so you'll see them at the
Olympics. First game was NAHA (Vermont place, North American Hockey Academy
- we like this group a lot, Cheryl) versus IIRC a team from Winnipeg. So, I
guess in this elite company it behooved me not to have the DH flashing all
the gals on and off the ice.

Back to topic:

Anyhow - I ended up going through a box, finding the stash of unstitched,
unkitted charts. And, well, 2 Emie Bishop books - including one that is all
kittedd up and waiting to go - "The Faith Sampler" . Plus the great book
"Embellishments" which has several small projects, plus 2 samplers.

http://www.emiebishopdesigns.com/designs/L95.html
http://www.emiebishopdesigns.com/designs/L96.html

So, I had a good time re-reading a bunch of the stitch descriptions and
techniques which are part of the Embellishments book. Really well done.
So, I also put a bunch of my fabric pieces in their new home and am tempted
to just whip off one of the little designs in Embellishments. Maybe Sue & I
are thinking alike.

And, yeah, I found a little "Be Mine" piece which I had finished stitching a
couple of years ago, and then had it in the "to finish" pile (aka Lost).
So, found some lovely fabrics to go with and am now going to go and finish
it as a little wall hanging (DH got to choose hanging or pillow). More
channeling Sue.

Ellice

Old February 15th 09, 04:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 2/9/09 3:29 PM, "bungadora" wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a good little rest stop from the wagon. I'm so impressed with
your knitted afghan! And some of the garden pics. Got me thinking about
some design things.

ellice