This and that

Old December 28th 08, 03:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

Default This and that

Has anyone heard from Lula Chang? Her website hasn't been updated in awhile and
I miss her thought provoking posts.

They, the borrowers and blackholes, are back!!! This time, they have absconded
with or swallowed a little bag of beads.

Pages in my paperback copy of Erica Wilson's Embroidery Book which I go to for
advice and inspiration are falling out sigh I'm sure that even if I could
find a professional a binder, the cost would be astronomical. Do you know of
any procedures that'll save the book so I don't have to get another copy at the
used book store?
--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old December 28th 08, 05:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

anne wrote:

Pages in my paperback copy of Erica Wilson's Embroidery Book which I go to for
advice and inspiration are falling out sigh I'm sure that even if I could
find a professional a binder, the cost would be astronomical. Do you know of
any procedures that'll save the book so I don't have to get another copy at the
used book store?

As I recall, my friend carefully removed all the pages from the binding,
liberally coated the binding with rubber cement, put the pages back,
rubber-banded everything in place, and then put a couple bricks on top
for good measure.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

http://my2.tupperware.com/KMCampbell

"On his tombstone, Benjamin Franklin wanted it said not that he had been
rich
but rather that he had been useful."

Finished 12/14/08 - GMTA/Great Minds Think Alike (Bucilla)

WIP: Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono
(Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

www.CFSfacts.org -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://cfs-facts.blogspot.com/
Old December 28th 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"anne" wrote in message
g...
Has anyone heard from Lula Chang? Her website hasn't been updated in
awhile and
I miss her thought provoking posts.

They, the borrowers and blackholes, are back!!! This time, they have
absconded
with or swallowed a little bag of beads.

Pages in my paperback copy of Erica Wilson's Embroidery Book which I go to
for
advice and inspiration are falling out sigh I'm sure that even if I
could
find a professional a binder, the cost would be astronomical. Do you know
of
any procedures that'll save the book so I don't have to get another copy
at the
used book store?
--
another anne, add ingers to reply

It's painstakingly slow but I once punched holes in each page and then put
them into a loose-leaf binder.

Then we used the little circular thingies that were readily available then
to reinforce each hole, and applied them. Another mindless, boring not fun
thing to do.

Do they still sell the reinforcements?

Lucille

Old December 28th 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jeri

anne wrote:
snip
Pages in my paperback copy of Erica Wilson's Embroidery Book which I
go to for advice and inspiration are falling out sigh I'm sure that
even if I could find a professional a binder, the cost would be
astronomical. Do you know of any procedures that'll save the book so
I don't have to get another copy at the used book store?

If you have a Kinko's near you I believe they can make it into a spiral
bound book for you. I don't know how much it costs.
--
Jeri
"You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because

Old December 28th 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
bungadora

On Dec 28, 8:57*am, anne wrote:

Pages in my paperback copy of Erica Wilson's Embroidery Book which I go to for
advice and inspiration are falling out sigh I'm sure that even if I could
find a professional a binder, the cost would be astronomical. Do you know of
any procedures that'll save the book so I don't have to get another copy at the
used book store?
--

You can get looseleaf plastic sheet protectors in a box of 100 for
about $10-$15, then put the sheets in a binder. If the pages of your
Old December 28th 08, 07:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 12/28/08 12:54 PM, "lucille" wrote:

"anne" wrote in message
g...
[...]

Yup, now you get them on a roll, self-adhesive, peel off the backing.
Office supply, sometimes scrapbook supplies. I'm sure that I actually have
some in the house. I remember those from elementary school - having to fix
some looseleaf page that had torn.

Although, now, if I'm really interested in saving something, I just pull
magazine pages and put them in page protector sleeves, and those go in a
binder. I do that a lot with large multi-page charts, especially the canvas
work pieces.

Ellice

Old December 29th 08, 01:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Trish Brown

anne wrote:
Has anyone heard from Lula Chang? Her website hasn't been updated in awhile and
I miss her thought provoking posts.

They, the borrowers and blackholes, are back!!! This time, they have absconded
with or swallowed a little bag of beads.

Pages in my paperback copy of Erica Wilson's Embroidery Book which I go to for
advice and inspiration are falling out sigh I'm sure that even if I could
find a professional a binder, the cost would be astronomical. Do you know of
any procedures that'll save the book so I don't have to get another copy at the
used book store?

It's not at all hard to bind a book, especially if you're one of those
measure-twice-cut-once sorts of people. I wouldn't try to type out the
instructions here, as they're pretty detailed and need illustrations,
but I learned how from the Reader's Digest Repair Manual. If you can get
hold of an old copy of that, you won't be sorry! There's buckets of good
advice in there!

Anyway, to bind the book, you need two pieces of cardboard of a weight
to make a stout cover (I think matt board is too heavy for small books -
I use the stiffest card I can buy from the newsagency: somewhere between
poster board and cardstock). Then, you need some fabric for the binding.
Homespun works well. On my first attempt, I used a heavy cotton drill,
thinking it would lend strength! LOL! No, it just makes for a
clunky-funky cover. Next, you need white glue (Selley's Aquadhere for
Oztralians), some 'animal' glue (ie one based on animal protein - you
can get it from shoe repair places) and a bit of stiff paper, like
cartridge paper, for the spine. Oh, and a bit of loosely woven stuff for
attaching the covers to the spine. A bit of gauze bandage would do the
trick, but I found cheap sew-in interfacing worked fine.

The technique is simply a matter of measuring, cutting and gluing. It's
quite miraculous how easy it is to secure all the pages back into a
precious book and fit it for a long lifetime with you! (NB. It's the
contact with the 'animal' glue that holds the pages together: you cramp
the freshly-bound book or weigh it down with bricks and the glue
impregnates the spine and the page edges, holding them forever together).

Give it a go if you can - you won't be sorry! ;-D

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old December 29th 08, 02:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Olwyn Mary

anne wrote:

Pages in my paperback copy of Erica Wilson's Embroidery Book which I go to for
advice and inspiration are falling out sigh I'm sure that even if I could
find a professional a binder, the cost would be astronomical. Do you know of
any procedures that'll save the book so I don't have to get another copy at the
used book store?

I have been intending for some time now to buy a (used) hardback copy.
There are more and better illustrations in the hardcover, but by the
time I found out about this book it was OOP, so I had to make do with
the paperback. The only thing stopping me is that I am also seeking a
copy of Barbara Kafka's Healthy Microwave Cooking, which, in a fit of
misplaced economy, I failed to buy when it was new, thinking that I
could simply adapt from her Microwave Gourmet. I am trying to find a
source which has both, so I can get them with one order.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.