Another dremel question

Old January 8th 05, 06:14 PM
Carla

Default Another dremel question

Okay, I just tried using a Scumbuster to some sanding. It was
an...interesting experiment Along with sanding a few beads, I sanded
the inside of the kitchen sink, my nails, and a couple of fingertips. I
figure I need a longer rod to hold the bead on, so I don't have to get
my hand so close to the sandpaper.

I'd rather use a dremel because it's a lot smaller, but is it possible
to use that for wet sanding? If just the bead is wet, will that be
enough water getting on the sandpaper? Is there a submersible dremel tool?

Thanks,
Carla (probably looking for an excuse to buy a cool new tool g)
Old January 8th 05, 07:44 PM
Xane T.

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 18:14:53 GMT, Carla
wrote:

I'd rather use a dremel because it's a lot smaller, but is it possible
to use that for wet sanding? If just the bead is wet, will that be
enough water getting on the sandpaper? Is there a submersible dremel tool?

I would have assumed a dremel would be too aggressive to sand
(although it's useful to polish with if you make your own buffing
wheels - someone just posted the link to that recently). For getting
it wet, you should look into getting the flex-shaft extension for it.
This makes it easier to use anyway. That way the water isn't anywhere
near the tool itself.
Old January 9th 05, 03:35 AM
havana bill & holly

"Carla" wrote
Is there a submersible dremel tool?
I'm fairly sure there isn't a submersible flexmotor tool and unless you're
into electrocution I would recommend NOT wetsanding with anything electric!
Not even the flexshaft. If you must sand the bead, why not clamp it and
make a small sanding block? Or get a small amount of buffing compound & use
the fiber buffing wheel on your Dremel?

Old January 10th 05, 02:57 AM
Colette

Hi,

My husband decided to Dremel a lovely clay covered votive cup and took
off nearly all of the clay on the bottom of the cup. I can't fix it, so
I sat it way back in the closet and ignore it. Needless to say, he
doesn't come within 25 paces of any of my clay stuff with his Dremel
anymore.

Colette

Old January 10th 05, 08:02 AM
Carla

LOL! My hubby hasn't come anywhere near my bead stash since he "helped"
me restring a necklace several years ago. He picked it up by the end
and watched in shock as all the beads fell off the other end.

Anyway, I've decided on a rotary tool for buffing, and continuing use of
the tumbler for sanding. On a few select pieces, like large
pendant-type beads, I'll probably do hand-sanding.

Cheers,
Carla

Old February 5th 05, 08:03 PM
SeaMatt

There is another type of rotary tool called a turbine that is hand held
and al least one version has a mist attachment that will cool the
diamond bits to make them last. They are FAST. also expensive at least
more so than Dremel. You can Google turbine and carver and get a list
here is the one I covet.
http://www.turbocarver.com/techspecs...techspecs.html
Good luck, Cal in California

Old February 6th 05, 03:14 AM
Robert Houghtaling

SeaMatt wrote:
There is another type of rotary tool called a turbine that is hand held
and al least one version has a mist attachment that will cool the
diamond bits to make them last. They are FAST. also expensive at least
more so than Dremel. You can Google turbine and carver and get a list
here is the one I covet.
http://www.turbocarver.com/techspecs...techspecs.html
Good luck, Cal in California

These air powered grinders are FAST. You can melt or burn your PC if you
are not careful. If you have to slow down or be careful with it why
spend the money?
Robert
Old February 6th 05, 07:17 AM
Carla

I use a Dremel for buffing, but was concerned about using it for
sanding, because that goes pretty fast, even on the slowest setting. I
think it was here someone mentioned a Tide Spin Brush. I tried that
tonight and I *loved* it. So much easier/quicker than hand-sanding, and
still slow enough that it doesn't take off too much or melt the clay.

Cheers,
Carla

Old February 7th 05, 03:14 PM
Stephanie

someone mentioned a Tide Spin Brush

I can afford to try that! What a good idea...

...Stephanie..