Replacing bra shelf foam with horsehair?

Old July 2nd 06, 03:29 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Phaedrine

Default Replacing bra shelf foam with horsehair?

In article .com,
"wurstergirl" wrote:

Thanks for letting me know, Emma. I can cross those off my list.

Wide strap placement aside, the Freyas tend toward a rounder, more
"natural" breast shape for their youngish market. For me that means a
bit saggy in the bottom cup. Definitely not as supportive as Fantasie.
Young Attitude also has this attribute.

Pora

The way I look at it is that when constructing bra cups, there's only so
many places for breast tissue to go. And when there is so much of it,
it seems only prudent that the lower part of the cup would accommodate
any overabundance of tissue present in the breast. (I grant that
breasts come in all manner of different shapes, however) Unless the
cups are actually too large or laterally unsecure (meaning that they
would permit too much side to side 'swing'), I don't tend to think of
that as 'sag'. And, for myself personally, I think that is far
preferable than forcing one's ta-tas into an unnaturally elongated
cone-shape that causes an exaggerated cantilever that results in more
stress on the shoulders and the back, not to speak of the non-cup parts
of the bra. With one possible minor exception, I don't see the Freyas
as less supportive, just "differently" supportive. Personal physiology
definitely plays a strong role in this, however. For some reason, I
thought Freyas were made by Fantasie... am I mistaken?

Phae

--
I fear me you but warm the starved snake
Who, cherished in your breasts, will sting your hearts. (Henry VI,Shakespeare)
Old July 2nd 06, 03:31 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Phaedrine

In article . com,
"wurstergirl" wrote:

Pogonip wrote:
Would this be one of theirs?
http://digitalcartography.com/boobs/...sManhattan.jpg

I've seen that movie! It's called "The Brab."

JK ;-)

Pora

.. (:-)

Old July 2nd 06, 03:51 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Phaedrine

In article .com,
"wurstergirl" wrote:

Phaedrine wrote:

Good thinking! I've been cogitating along similar lines but with
ridgelene or, preferably, some of the other, softer synthetic boning.
The German plastic bones are quite good. Farthingales has them and
other synthetic boning:

http://www.farthingales.on.ca/plastic_bones.php

I think I'll get some just for experimenting. I wonder how flat it is.

My thoughts about the reinforced flat felled seams were inspired by
that Freya bra, the Tallulah full cup. It's one of the ones Oprah
raved about. The bottom cup is made of a net-based lace backed with
denier tricot and it's got 3 of these flat-felled type seams running
vertically. They are impressively stiff enough to keep the lace from
crumpling down but are quite flat. Combined with the steel underwire
it's achieving the necessary shaping with minimal fabric. One might
increase the rigidity even more by including organza or stiff net in
the seam (not the whole panel).

Pora

I give you so much credit for pursuing this, Pora! Since women gave up
their steel-bone corsets for the building of battleships, there has been
little meaningful study of what's actually good for women insofar as
supportive foundations are concerned. I fear most of the emphasis has
been geared toward what makes women appear sexier--- no matter how
uncomfortable, gauche or stupid. I think these discussions are really
helpful and productive. And I agree that the industry has also done
little to exploit new materials and methods either.

Phae

Old July 5th 06, 07:46 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to send

She needs to go down to Bras, Etc. in San Jose and have them help her
find the right size in a Coalesce bra that you can then clone easily

wurstergirl wrote:

Just came back from visiting 48J. Got a good look at the stretchy bra
on her and have rejected the whole project. Exactly as you described,
the powernet frame was nowhere near her body and her breasts were
drooping most unsatisfactorily.

Old July 5th 06, 07:47 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to send

OTOH, if you use the suspension-bridge type of undercup sling support
that many large-cup specialty manufacturers use, you don't need
underwires and the bras are REALLY comfortable.

Sally Holmes wrote:

Underwires: just thinking laterally, has anyone tried cutting underwires
from flexible plastic such as milk cartons or slightly heavier? It's
easy to cut and you could smooth it with sandpaper. If you put the flat
side against the body it would curve around the body but not droop. If

Old July 5th 06, 06:03 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
wurstergirl

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to send wrote:
She needs to go down to Bras, Etc. in San Jose and have them help her
find the right size in a Coalesce bra that you can then clone easily

Yeah, she's tried 'em on and finds the breast shape unsatisfactory.
Over the past 20 years I've encouraged her to go ahead and wear one but
to no avail. It just means I have to use my head (and my alt.sewing
friends) to solve this project. I ordered size 58 and 60 wires last
night. Turns out I was wrong and they do make them. Yay!

Pora

Old July 7th 06, 04:27 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

Phaedrine wrote:

OTOH, if you use the suspension-bridge type of undercup sling support
that many large-cup specialty manufacturers use, you don't need
underwires and the bras are REALLY comfortable.

From what are the slings suspended?

The sides of the bra are longer (6-8 hooks in the back) and the slings
are suspended from the body of the bra. Honest, it works wonderfully.
I can run in mine and don't bounce a bit, and I wear the largest cup
size they make. And it supports their weight perfectly. No more red
lines on my shoulders for the past 20 years!
Old July 7th 06, 08:34 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Phaedrine

In article ,
wrote:

Phaedrine wrote:

OTOH, if you use the suspension-bridge type of undercup sling support
that many large-cup specialty manufacturers use, you don't need
underwires and the bras are REALLY comfortable.

From what are the slings suspended?

The sides of the bra are longer (6-8 hooks in the back) and the slings
are suspended from the body of the bra. Honest, it works wonderfully.
I can run in mine and don't bounce a bit, and I wear the largest cup
size they make. And it supports their weight perfectly. No more red
lines on my shoulders for the past 20 years!

Is this the Coalesce (?) bra that someone (maybe you) mentioned?