Foam board design wall questions

Old March 18th 05, 04:13 PM
Kathy Applebaum

Default Foam board design wall questions

Well, I'm finally getting more done in the new sewing room. (Fabric closet
cleaned, caulked, and painted; shelving 90% installed.) Now I'm working on
design wall options. It occurred to me that I need multiple moveable massive
design walls. (I was going to say "large", but the alliteration struck my
fancy. *grin*) To that end, I've obtained six 4x8 sheets of foam insulation
board, and even found a way to get them home intact.

I'd used poly craft felt for design wall at my old house, and wasn't
thrilled with how fabric pieces stuck to it, or rather, didn't stick to it.
I'm thinking batting for the foam board -- affordable, easy to get, fabric
will stick to it, and it's available 96" wide.

My question is, has anyone used the foam insulation board for design wall,
and if you have, how did you attach your covering?

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old March 18th 05, 05:02 PM
A&T

I have one, but I nailed it to the wall. it isn't moveable. I used a twin
size flannel sheet to cover it and stapled it from the back side. Fabric
sticks to it really well. I have had my feathered star center on it for
almost six months --- has never fallen.

Tricia
http://photos.yahoo.com/momiixii

om...

Old March 18th 05, 05:17 PM
Kathy Applebaum

Any problems with the staples coming out?

My "class size" foam core (24" x 30") has felt attached by staples, and the
staples are always coming out. Of course, these get moved, and yours
doesn't, which probably makes a world of difference.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps
http://www.kayneyquilting.com ,
remove the obvious to reply

link.net...

Old March 18th 05, 06:13 PM
Ellen

[...]

My contractor nailed some sort of insulation board the name of which now
escapes me to the wall -- stuff weighed a ton. I stapled heavy weight white
flannel on it which I did shrink before putting up. I now notice that it is
stretching some and I am trying to decide whether to take it down or just
put in more staples. Blocks will generally stay up without pins unless they
have lots and lots of seams ... most everything else I just pin into the
board. You can never have too much design wall -- I have two adjacent
walls -- one is about 12 feet long and the other about 15 or 18 feet.
Somehow they are always full of blocks, pinned up pictures for inspiration,
small quilts that aren't finished and random other bits and pieces. The only
"tip" I can offer is that every so often I climb up on the step ladder and
stick a whole bunch of pins into the flannel/wall reaching up as high as I
can. That way when I climb on the step ladder with a quilt to pin up at
least there are plenty of pins up there to pin the quilt to. I think I need
to get my hubby to rig up something better for hanging up quilt tops ...

Ellen

Old March 18th 05, 06:44 PM
Debra

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 16:13:06 GMT, "Kathy Applebaum"
wrote:

Well, I'm finally getting more done in the new sewing room. (Fabric closet
cleaned, caulked, and painted; shelving 90% installed.) Now I'm working on
design wall options. It occurred to me that I need multiple moveable massive
design walls. (I was going to say "large", but the alliteration struck my
fancy. *grin*) To that end, I've obtained six 4x8 sheets of foam insulation
board, and even found a way to get them home intact.

I'd used poly craft felt for design wall at my old house, and wasn't
thrilled with how fabric pieces stuck to it, or rather, didn't stick to it.
I'm thinking batting for the foam board -- affordable, easy to get, fabric
will stick to it, and it's available 96" wide.

My question is, has anyone used the foam insulation board for design wall,
and if you have, how did you attach your covering?

I've never made one but I wonder if the foam board is going to be
strong enough for the weight it will be holding. You might want to
get some laving strips at Lowes or Home Depot to apply along the
length of the back so the foam board doesn't fold from the weight. As
to how to apply the batting I'd try one of those 3M brand spray
adhesives first. Look for one that will work with fabric and paper,
and that is permanent. I'd do a small test piece first too.
Debra in VA

Old March 18th 05, 08:15 PM
Kathy Applebaum

How's it working? The suggestions I've read elsewhere have been duct tape,
spray adhesive, and white glue. I'm frantically trying to weigh the pros and
cons, because I want to finish tonight, but unfortunately my brain is mush
today.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps
http://www.kayneyquilting.com ,
remove the obvious to reply

"Bonnie NJ" wrote in message
nk.net...
Would you believe - duct tape ;-)

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old March 18th 05, 08:15 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"Debra" wrote in message
I've never made one but I wonder if the foam board is going to be
strong enough for the weight it will be holding.

You should have seen us standing up each thickness on end, poking it,
wiggling it, moving it, just to see if it would work. If the big box store
we were in actually had any employees with any motivation, I'm sure they
would have been right over to find out what the heck we were doing! LOL In
the end, I settled on the 1" thick board. For $8 a sheet, it was worth a
shot.

But I will keep the idea about the lathing strips in mind. Might make it
more stable for moving, which will help the blocks stay on better. Thanks!

Old March 18th 05, 08:37 PM
Pat in Virginia

Kathy:
Yep, I've got the foam insulation board for my
design wall ... two boards attached firmly to
wall. I used 100% cottomn flannelette because for
some reason I had yards and yards of it. It
'sticks' real well. It is snow white. If I was
buying especially for this I might go with an off
white instead. Also, I would (should!) line it
with an old white sheet, as the aqua color of the
board shows thru a bit. How did I attach? I just
folded the top edge neatly about 1" and stapled to
the board. Smoothed down and did same across the
bottom. Edges are selvages and are just overlapped
a couple inches. BTW: we cut out the opening for
the electric socket, then I just cut the fabric
and stapled back.
HTH. PAT in VA/USA

Old March 18th 05, 11:54 PM
Tracey

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message
om...
My question is, has anyone used the foam insulation board for design wall,
and if you have, how did you attach your covering?

My design wall is made with 4 sheets of foam insulation board (I think they
are 24" wide each). I duct taped the 4 pieces to one another and I duct
taped around the edges to keep them from breaking. Then I put 108" wide
flannel over the whole thing face down on the ground and duct taped the
whole piece all around the edges in the back. I folded the corners like
gift wrapping and duct taped over those.

DH mounted the whole massive thing to the wall by putting a thin pine board
at the top, the middle and the bottom of the wall (screwed into place) but
before he mounted these boards to the wall, he put screws in the boards
sticking out. Then he put the design wall up (with holes drilled in it in
the spots where the screws would be) and put washers and nuts over them to
hold it securely up to the wall.

If this doesn't make sense I can try to explain it a different way.

Tracey in CT

HOW RUBBER STAMPS ARE MADE & how i made $$$ - I AM SELLING MY MACHINE AND METAL SHEETS Nintendo DS 4 Sale Rubberstamps 3 November 28th 04 12:28 PM
Design Board! KittyG Quilting 1 August 5th 04 10:09 PM
The ten questions I want you to answer Jalynne Beads 19 June 22nd 04 08:58 PM
Cabinet Design Centre v7.0 - Cubit, 20-20 Kitchen Design V6.1,CabinetVision Solid, Planit Millennium II [2 CDs], TurboCAD Pro V9.0 [3 CDs] (Turbocad Pro V9.0, TurboCad Deluxe 9.2 FloorPlan v7.3, TurboProjectExpress v4S), Big Hammer Do It Yourself (De TEL Glass 0 February 6th 04 03:51 PM
The joy of a design board Polly Esther Quilting 7 October 26th 03 10:04 PM